Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

build yer own pentium system advice

• 15-06-2001 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for recomendations on motherboards here, preferably sourcable in Ireland.

Going to be used in the main for video capture and processing. Brute force is all.
    Ideally its dual cpu capable, ide raid would be nice(i cannot afford scsi), but not necessary as i have an pci raid card that works just fine. It must be able to take a LOT of ram hopefully 1gb plus. Probably not going to overclock it but would like a board that is tweakable but in the main, rock solid stability is what i seek.

All suggestions welcome.

I have £300 to spend on it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

try the formus of www.pcmech.com its realy good 4 building ur own comp or the forms on www.overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Since your budget excludes a dual xeon board, or the tyan thunder k7 board for dual AMD palominos, I would recommend the
    abit vp6, available from itdirect or any decent online shop. It takes dual p3's up to 1 gig, has onboard ide raid, up to 1 gig of ram, very tweakable board, but also very stable. Heres a link to some basic info about it:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Motherboards_5.html

You can also find it on www.abit.nl

I'll warn you now though, that it may not be plain sailing getting this motherboard to work perfectly, this is true of most modern motherboards, especially those with VIA chipsets. But with a bit of patience, these problems can usually be solved. VIA's drivers have improved a lot also.

Alternatively, you could wait for a dual board which supports the new 0.13 micron tualatin p3, running at 1.13-1.26 ghz for starters. This new p3 has been clocked up to 1.4ghz already. Or you could wait for a low cost dual AMD board to be released, although this could be a few months. Apparently MSI have a dual (760MP) board in the works, which I reckon would be under £300.

Advertisement