Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we take a paying ad?

• 09-05-2002 5:37pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Should we take a paid for flash ad?

A company has approached us to pay us a sum of money for a small run of a flash ad of theirs.
    Its a regular sized ad (not one of the annoying ones) but I thought I'd canvas opinion on the topic. Personally I'm in favour of taking big corporate money (especially this company's cash) in return for an ad as it assists us in building a better community.

It would appear every 10 pages or so for a month with the other 9 pages being ad free...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

yeah sure why not! wouldn't bother me at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Bring a stinking capitalist I would agree with this. But in all fainess anything that puts a few euro back in your pockets is good by me, you well deserve it at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yea, take the money and run the add, people realise at this stage that boards does not magically run itself and someone somewhere has to pay for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Take the money Dev,

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The money wouldnt go in our pockets. It would go to pay the next three months of hosting. Which would have otherwise come from our pockets. In there is a small but telling point, if I could find it.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

well if a company want to giv u money for a little stupid ad wats the prob u shudnt even have to ask no 1 shud hav a prob well any1 who actually likes and respect boards:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

I think it's pretty clear by now that you (as a group) aren't in it for the money, and assuming the ad's not too big (what's a "regular-sized ad", by the way? One of these 300-ish by 100-ish ones?) it would seem like a good idea if it helped make it easier (financially) to run the place...

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

What ever happened to that idea of having a small shares in boards?

Ahhh take the money and run the ad, surely you can review the situation after a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nobody has said it yet (surprisingly!)...so

I heartily endorse this event or product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Now I know that its not my decision but he did say he was canvasing for opinions.

Personally it would depend on the annoyance, in-your-faceness, size and overall relavance to the site.

Sure money towards the upkeep of the server is a great help but you dont want to turn people off coming here just because they hate pop-ups with a vengeance. Now I know you didnt say pop-ups at all, but the main thing I have against ads are ones that annoy me and pop-ups annoy me, although pop-unders annoy me more and the full screen ads i.e. without a close button annoy me even more. So if you can guarantee that that would never happen then I would have no problem whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Take the money! Ye deserve it!

To do the work ye admins do in creating an online community that actually works, dealing with muppets and still paying for it out of your own pockets is simply beyond a greedy little **** like me, I honestly don't know how ye do it. Take the money and give your pockets a break, you've more than earned it.

I don't think the add would be too annoying provided it's not a big huge one or a pop-up. Anyway I'd be curious to know which company it is that's behind the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1 in 10 pages for one month = €750? ;)

I don't have a problem as long as...

1. It's small (esp if it's flash)
    2. It doesn't pop-under-over.
    3. No punch the monkeys

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Sure... go for it...

My guess is it's eircom and if so I'd love for you to weight the ad so it appears on the IOFFL pages especially...

Btw, if it's anything like those swing party ads on the *********s board it should be fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sure, 'tis only right (as long as it's not one of my competitors ;) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Why not?

Can we see the ad now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Make it so, engage, phasers on stun, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yes, take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

i say do it man, if some company is stupid enough to waste money on banner adds then screw them over. Because of my security config ill never see the thing anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Money in the bank...
    Is money in the bank-

Now all you need is to find 3 other companies and boards' liabilties are covered for a year:)

Its got my backing
    icon14.gif

Just so long as its not EIRCOM:eek:

EDIT:
    Hmmm Just thinking....
    "Big Corporation, Medium Sized Flash Advert"
    Oh dear God it couldn't be:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

As long as its not an eircon adsl ad i dont mind an ad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

lol..

Boards.ie sponsored by Eircom I-Stream, Go Faster

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Go for it. If it helps pay the bills and isn't too intrusive I can't see why not :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I so hope its eircom :)

Absolutly no problem with this, go for it. Pop ups would annoy the **** out of me, but even then, the moneys got to come from somewhere.

Any news on the subscription dealie thingymajig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

If it's that stupid mouse that drives all over my screen on its damn bike I'll kill it, kill it I tells ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Come on DeV who is it??? :)

we are gona know soon enough anyway, so why not tell us now :)

Save us all the guessing etc ... :)

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Take the ad, and I promise I'll click on it so it looks like it's working.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

its not a popup, pop-under or a "shoot the monkey" one.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

So its eircom then...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

methinks it's Eircom too but after years of screwing us the least they can do is give the boards lads some cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Take the money.

(mind you if it's Eircom we may have to keep moving threads to the Recycle bin - can't blame people for complaining now can we?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Take the Ad, it'd be nice if boards.ie was self-sufficient and didn't have to be paid for by the people at spinsol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

So we're getting all these entertainment and community and stuff out of your own pockets, and ye get noting for it?

Hell yes take the ad!

How annoying/where will the ad be?

Definately need a boards.ie + membership thingy. I feel I've wronged boards.ie by not paying for it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Personally, I think it is at least doing on a "trial-run" basis. As Overfiend deVore said, its a limited-run, not-every page type of thing, so I'd go for it.

Worst case - its a disaster. You decide not to go with it again, and after a month (or whatever) the ad is gone anyway.

Given that its paying for the boards which we all use for free, I think objections would be few and far between.

That said.....I would also consider simply putting a system in place where users could basically "donate" cash. Even if the regular users who could afford it paid a fiver every couple of months, it would put a lot towards the hosting and hardware costs.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

As long as its not too animated I dont mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Go for it but GAWD do I hope it's not Eircom, I see their propaganda in enough places without having to see it here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

yes IF I GET THE MONEY :D:D

yes BUT NOT EIRCOM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

3. No punch the monkeys

Ah cmon I own at that game :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Go for it. Flash ads, as long as they fit into the banner space, are perfectly fine - certainly no more annoying than animated gifs.

Anyone who whinges about a site being ad-supported within reason needs their head examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Take the money, especially if its Eircom. I'd love to see the IrelandOffline forum with an Eircom ad.

An Eircom ad above threads calling for an end to their monopoly, now that would be sooo amusing.

If a not too intrusive flash ad keeps boards going for another 3 months then I'd be all for it. The users here have had an ad-free free ride for far too long. If they don't like ads they can pay not to see em. :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

"Welcome to the IrelandOffline forum. Paid for by those tossers up there."

dont.png

heh

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i've been here as long as most/loads

take the cash

always take a drink if its someone else's round

or in this case - give the cash to the mods'
    j/k

take it and pay for hosting - it s the only way to go,

hth
    MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I gotta go with the consensus here - take the ad :)

Once it's not Eircom ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Go for it. As long as it's not a pop-up, or Eircom banner (or one of those Permanent TSB ones that take over your whole screen I've seen on several sites).

I still like the idea of a donation where you get a custom tag or avatar. But go for the ad idea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

take the money and run DeVore!
    anything that keeps this place going is goooooood :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Go for it lads - that seems to be the general feeling amongst everyone who's posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

take the money.
    now that its pretty mucha certainty thats its gonna go ahead can you tell us who the ad is for?
    cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

take the money.

you've nothing to lose and everything to gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

for fear of being accussed to postCount++;

Go for it - take the money, an that size sounds fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have to say yes for your finance reasons and you all deserve it... only problem is myself and everyone in worok might not be able to use the baords in work again (thats where we use it!) since we dont have flash on our systems and cant install it (stupid IT policy) so any flash website crashes all explorer windows.. b@stards

• Advertisement
Advertisement