Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should we take a paying ad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Kraken

who said it needed to be flash? But yeah i wouldnt mind it. If it saves ye money in the long run go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

I have to agree with Saruman - didn't you crack that admin password yet ?

But yeah go for it - cant stay in the game free forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by Kraken
    who said it needed to be flash?

Actually DeVore did in the original post.. unless i missread it he said:
    A company has approached us to pay us a sum of money for a small run of a flash ad of theirs.

So im hoping that does not mean macromedia flash and simply means a flashy ad or something! bty anyone know how to STOP maxromedia flash stuff from even attempting to download onto my sys? Might help a lot! Shor of me cracking the admin password that is... have not managed it yet.. damn only took me 10 mins in the last place...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

go for it Dev.
    boards.ie deserves some cash, pay bills or what ever ya want to use it for.
    your providing a very good free service for all of us so you should get something out it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Dev go for it man.

The folks in Spin and Cloud have paid up for too long its time to get the site paying some of its up keep. We always used to have ad's for clouds many, many sites so I can not see why a paying ad would cause any fuss

Just one thing for all the no eircom ad's ppl. If memory serves tinet helped setup ign.ie/quake.ie/kali.ie back in the days if I remember rightly so it would be nothing new for them to back this community although it would be funny esp after the whole errorcom stuff :).

kayos

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok, Its Eircom but I think we should either take ads or not, I dont think we should turn them away because of who they are.
    Anyway, it'll make it easier for us to find the info on ADSL :)
    (I'm guessing its an ADSL ad ).

I think the idea of Membership people being excempt from ads is a good one, I'll toss it in as part of the package we're thinking of.
    (Details when I actually finish thinking about it, then we can all discuss it).

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by DeVore
    Ok, Its Eircom but I think we should either take ads or not, I dont think we should turn them away because of who they are.

Why not? Most if not all my dealings with Eircon have left a bitter taste in my mouth, from ripping me off and threatening myself and others with bills for items that don't exist. And don't get me started on internet connection! :)

But what the hey, just make sure the advert automatically appears in threads that have the word "eircom" in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think the idea of Membership people being excempt from ads is a good one, I'll toss it in as part of the package we're thinking of.

DeV.

My sig nearly identifies my response. Euugh @ eircom ads. This is neither the time nor the place to vent my frustrations at that shower of....never mind :D

Ads in general = yeah why not
    Eircom = :(

but sure, thats just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

DeV.

any thing but that stupid pop up thing with the mouse on the motorbike.
    that would just be too much!

also - i'd imagine that its the members that they are interested in - who would put an add on a forum and not want to target the ppl who view it?

MiCr0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

rofl eircom supporting the IOFFL campaign *
    classic

*well i know iknow ;)

You could look at it this way.. If the adverts work and they gain revenue then they can invest in infrastructure and hopefully provide a good reliable service and reduce the amazingly high cost of adsl etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

I think its pretty funny being Eircom. Obviously you should take the deal and get the money, and everyone on Boards knows what they are all about so no one is gonna pay any attention to the advert. So go for it, gotta fund yourself somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

As I said originally...
    Money in the Bank is Money in the bank

What strikes me as odd is that Eircom spend so much dosh on advertising. A characteristic of monopolies is that they dont advertise!! I mean I dont think anyone who would not ordinarily use Eircom or get DSL will do so by the fact they are obliterating all forms of media with their lies. I'm currently drafting a letter to the Advertsising Standards authority about eircoms ADSL radio adverts and the misleading nature of their flat rate claim for the i-stream product.

Anyhoo I digress...
    Actually DeV when I think about, I'm sure you're like a pig in muck at the moment...Having Eircom pay for your pastime!!
    I know I would be:D

Go for it:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Az woz sed befoer
    eircon.jpg

80project those ads actually claim to SAVE you money??? how do they work that out since short of a leased T1 line its probably the most expensive way to connect to the net in this country. How can every other country charge about €20 a month for adsl? How can the so called IT hub of Europe be at the bottom of the list for broadband availability alongside the likes of Checz republic

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Saruman
    You could look at it this way.. If the adverts work and they gain revenue then they can invest in infrastructure and hopefully provide a good reliable service and reduce the amazingly high cost of adsl etc...

Now look what you made me do, spray my drink all over my desk.

You know it really wouldn't surprise me if Eircon offered the advertisting as a way to remove the bad press from the boards.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hahah, thats the funneh.

Corporate Drone: "We'll give you this paltry sum if you 12-click anyone who says bad things about Eircom"

DeVore: "Haha, there'd be noone left."

I dont think its our style to come this far to be shut up by a wollipop :)
    I mean, dont get me wrong, I can be bought ... but its a LOT more then they are offering :):):)

DeV.

I wasn't thinking so low.

I mean why place adverts to a hostile audience?

Originally posted by Hobbes

Now look what you made me do, spray my drink all over my desk.

ROTFL hey i thougt someone should at least "look" like they are defending them... since we are taking their money.. well correction DeVore is.. hmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't think DeV has actually confirmed it's Eircom, has he? I suppose that's pretty telling in itself though...

I will say that Eircom are almost famous at this stage for embracing the sites IrelandOffline get coverage on. For example, they started appearing on the Reg after we got coverage around the time of the Blackout, and I think we've only appeared there once since then, if that. Boards it just a wee bit different though.

If it is Eircom, I can't imagine what they're trying to achieve. The anti-Eircom sentiment in here is so strong you could cut it with a knife. I can only assume they're thinking that demonstrating that DSL is out there will make us all cuddle up with our teddy bears and think the world has turned to chocolate.

DeV, make sure you use a separate hostname for the ad server, so I can point it to 127.0.0.1, kay? Kay.

EDIT: Oh, and in case it wasn't clear: whoever it is, take the money. And put a few quid aside for a few pints.

80, you've got to be kidding right? Monopolies don't advertise? Can you say Intel, and "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun", Intel Inside? Hello? Monopolies don't advertise to sell products per se, they advertise as companies, to build their brand. But send me a copy of that ASA letter when you're done, eh I'll hack in a little dahamstarant and send one meself.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I don't think DeV has actually confirmed it's Eircom, has he? I suppose that's pretty telling in itself though...

Look at page 3 of this thread...
    Ok, Its Eircom but I think we should either take ads or not
    DeV.
    80, you've got to be kidding right? Monopolies don't advertise? Can you say Intel, and "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun", Intel Inside? Hello? Monopolies don't advertise to sell products per se, they advertise as companies, to build their brand.
    Well its the traditional Keynsian view. Of course exceptions exist and when it comes to "exceptional" behaviour, eircom take the biscuit (tin) !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

I'm all for it. Take the ad.

In other news
    eircom Limited

eircom Limited has today, 10th of May 2002 made an amendment to the Telecommunications Scheme, 2002. This admendment revises the charges for certain calls to Vodafone Mobile Phones, and changes to certain prices for Freefone (1800), Callsave (1850) & Locall (1890). Details including effective dates are available at eircom stores. A list of eircom stores is available in the Telephone Directory or by dialling Customer Information Service on 1800 512 012.

James G Ryan, Company Secretary

Knowing them, it's all good news I bet! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Go for it might aswell.

Look at page 3 of this thread...

Gods 80p, you don't expect me to be balanced and read /everything/, do you? :)

I agree with DeV though, who they are should have very little bearing on acceptance.

Well its the traditional Keynsian view. Of course exceptions exist and when it comes to "exceptional" behaviour, eircom take the biscuit (tin) !!

"Exceptional". Hmmm, perhaps you should work in their PR department? You take PR, I'll take product development, Fergus can be STO and Dave can be CEO. We'll bring DeV in to sack the slackers and muppets. :)

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Bah.

Is there any possibility of NOT putting it on the IoffL board? Just might seem a little two-faced to newcomers wishing to vent against eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Hahah, thats the funneh.

Corporate Drone: "We'll give you this paltry sum if you 12-click anyone who says bad things about Eircom"

DeVore: "Haha, there'd be noone left."

Dev, is that actually true? I cant believe they are that worried :)

Take their money, in fact charge them more than you would anyone else and tell them its because 'there just isnt the demand for this service'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

LOL :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

80, you've got to be kidding right? Monopolies don't advertise? Can you say Intel, and "dun-dun-dun-dun-dun", Intel Inside? Hello? Monopolies don't advertise to sell products per se, they advertise as companies, to build their brand.
    adam

Bah, Intel have a competitor that makes an alternative product. They're only an "almost monopoly".

Now, the ESB advertising electricity, that I find odd

(Ben Elton tour '89 paraphrased: "mmm, I could just do with a bit of leccy round about now. Kids - turn on some more lights!")

• Advertisement

Good point Seamus.

I mean I dont think you could compare Esat w/ AMD !!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Take it for sure Dev. It may be one of the only times ever ye actually get to take money from Eircom instead of paying them money ;)

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

DeV.

Right im all for an eircom adsl add, because for once and add that is total bollox will be shown to be said bollox on the same platform it is shown on.
    Every member of thsi forum(well most) knows about eircom adsl and that esat is cheaper and that it is a total feicign rip off. no one will be stupid enough to buy it because of an add. i think its jsut so they can say, hey look where selling adsl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Boston

Every member of thsi forum(well most) knows about eircom adsl and that esat is cheaper

Its not :(

well for most people it would be sicne it has no caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

dev, you have smaks (and thelma and dereks) approval.

Bah, Intel have a competitor that makes an alternative product. They're only an "almost monopoly".

Wow, deja vu! :)

Now, the ESB advertising electricity, that I find odd

Nah, not all that odd. The market's been deregulated, they're just trying to prepare for the worst. Pity Eircom didn't act the same.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Nah, not all that odd. The market's been deregulated, they're just trying to prepare for the worst. Pity Eircom didn't act the same.

ESB was a bad example anyway. I was going to bring up the awful "Cook Electric" ads ("so clean, so nice") from the 80s to contradict you:) , but I suppose they also compete with alternatives like gas (and that nasty nasty solar energy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm just wondering will this have any effect on what we can post, eg. Eircom suck for holding back ADSL rollout?

• Advertisement

Not from here you wont.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Boston
    well for most people it would be sicne it has no caps

That doesnt make it cheaper, it makes it a different product.

Go for it lads. I see no reason why practically *every* page doesn't have a paid-for advert on it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

I say go for it. I can't see why it would bother anyone. I have the upmost respect for the Admins for putting this out to public opinion, personally if it was me I'd take the money and not give a sh!t what ye all think (but thats me not you). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Would you accept paid adverts stating that Eircom sux?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Aye, put the advert up, the money, as was stated will be a good help towards paying for the hosting.

Would you accept paid adverts stating that Eircom sux?

LOL

What's your CPM DeV? I'd take a tenners worth of Eircom Sucks ads tomorrow. And another tenner for Bertie with the byeline "Don't vote for this man."

heh

adam

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bard

That doesnt make it cheaper, it makes it a different product.

Go for it lads. I see no reason why practically *every* page doesn't have a paid-for advert on it :)

dont be anal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Has my wholehearted approval.

Just watch out for things in your agreement like, 'This contract may be null and void if the content of the site howsoever undermines the intent of the advertising'.

I say that 'cause I don't trust them. It's funny that eircom would advertise on the site that holds the discussion forum for a big 'enemy' of theirs. Although we can vouch that boards.ie has a large tech population, so it is worth their while advertising here...........I'm getting confused...

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take the money and sucky as Eircom may be at times, can they actually give you a good ad. that isn't sucky flash? (no sound, no fade to 'orange', just clear concise frames)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Originally posted by Hobbes
    1 in 10 pages for one month = €750? ;)

I don't have a problem as long as...

1. It's small (esp if it's flash)
    2. It doesn't pop-under-over.
    3. No punch the monkeys

Basically what Hobbes said.

Even if it is Eircon...who cares...at least we'll be getting somemoney for something we care about...we are under no obligation to buy anythin off them. We are all ppl with free minds here.

If it makes this place free and self reliant, then I'm all for it.

As for the ESB thing....they are advetising to "other" services such as heating, ie. in compo with board gais for example. Just because they show a few lights in their adverts doesn't mean its just that...wake up a small bit...that advetisesers have u fooled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

The money wouldnt go in our pockets. It would go to pay the next three months of hosting. Which would have otherwise come from our pockets. In there is a small but telling point, if I could find it.

DeV.
    I dont know how much 3 months of hosting costs but if this is gonna be an ongoing thing why not just use the money to pay for the month that the add is running and put the rest in an account for future expenses. If it becomes a ongoing thing you could build up a nice pot o'money. Maybe recop the cost of the recent upgrade???

• Advertisement
Advertisement