Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats up with the irish times computer sections

• 13-06-2001 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

computimes has the exact same articles as the technolodgy section, and their days old,

on top of that they didnt have that eircom news on adsl.
    is this an end to them.
    is there any other places for internet news,
    i know enn.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 16-06-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The Connected thing on Mondays in the Independent is much better. Wider range of topics but the games section is shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    computimes has the exact same articles as the technolodgy section, and their days all,

on top of that they didnt have that eircom news on adsl.
    is this an end to them.
    is there any other places for internet news,
    i know enn.
    </font>

Computimes has been largely ****e since Fiachra O'Marcaigh and Mick Cunningham left. The Technology in Business section (Fridays) is a fscking joke. Basically the only real journo there seems to be Jamie Smyth. Karlin Lillington's stuff is typical whinge binge rubbish masquerading as journalism. She was used by Eircom to run the ADSL Soon stories until HackWatch pointed it out. The Indo's stuff is good at times though the quality varies drastically.

Most of the techology journalism in Ireland is press releases recycled as news. I don't think that there really is enough tech news in Ireland to financially support a good news service.

As soon as I get the http://whoisireland.com stuff finished, I will be installing a new CMS for HackWatch so that the updates can be more frequent. You could also take a look at www.techcentral.ie for news though it is largely an extension of the PCLive/Computerscope monthly mags.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcc:
    Most of the techology journalism in Ireland is press releases recycled as news. I don't think that there really is enough tech news in Ireland to financially support a good news service.</font>
    ENN reads as if it's written by disgruntled civil servants who have know knowledge or interest in what they're writing. They seem to publish absolutly anything. It was especially bad during the 'dot com' idiocy of 1999, the year of dumb press releases. I think they would be a good candidate for an April 1st spoof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

and were have they gone, i loved reading their stuff, its very clear to me now tech news in the irish times is over, as its been over a week since an update

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Actually, I liked Karlin Lillington's articles over the past year or so, at least she seems to understand some technology better than other TJ's, and makes an attempt to explain if. Most other TJ's talk out their bums most of the time, or just make it up as they go along. Prime example - Anna Nolan in De Paper Connect supplement. She's like a propaganda officer for each and every person she interviews.

ENN though, that's a load of rubbish, always has been. It's like a press release recycler.

adam

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    Actually, I liked Karlin Lillington's articles over the past year or so, at least she seems to understand some technology better than other TJ's, </font>

I don't think she understands technology at all Adam. She is better at interviewing people who understand it. The reason the IT employs her, in my opinion, is because she knows a few people who are newsworthy. I think that Online.ie made the *BIG* mistake of employing her to help set up the technology.online.ie subsite. It was a big mistake because she hasn't a fscking clue about what technologists read or want to read. The result was a site that nobody seems to go to. Even those who do end up bookmarking the sources of technology.online.ie's news such as The Register and ENN. Online.ie's discussion fora are a disaster as well though that is a different story.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Prime example - Anna Nolan in De Paper Connect supplement.
    </font>

Yep I remember seeing her stuff in NetIreland and WebIreland and every other drivel rag where there was no real editor.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    ENN though, that's a load of rubbish, always has been. It's like a press release recycler.
    </font>

ENN has a major content problem because it has to generate a number of stories each day for its content syndication deals. As a result the pressure to produce makes it easier to shovel the press releases. It does get the odd good story though.

Only a few good techical (as opposed to technology) journos exist and most of them are working in the industry to the extent that the journalism is a sideline. The Irish tech/computer magazines are a good example of the blend of medocrity and experience. The best would be Computerscope where the editor, David D'Arcy has a technology/computing background. The worst would be WebIreland (not sure if they are still around as I haven't seen a copy since January) where the "editor" Andrew McLindon was a technological illiterate and a plagiarist - (he put his byline on one of my articles, though apologised profusely when the point was brought to his attention.).

With most of the consumer Irish net/computer mags, the people editing them have no tech background. This, I believe is a fatal flaw. Most of them do not have the experience necessary to be an editor either. When the IT's Computimes section lost Fiachra O'Marcaigh and Mick Cunningham, it lost the core expertise.

Regards...jmcc

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    and were have they gone, i loved reading their stuff, its very clear to me now tech news in the irish times is over, as its been over a week since an update</font>

Fiachra O'Marcaigh joined Online.ie - some of his articles still appear on the technology.online.ie Boot Column. Mick Cunningham joined Volta.net and I think he does some of that net.results news that Volta did (or may still do.).

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Tom Golden is quite good too-did comp (or maybe electronic) eng in tcd so he has a good background technically
    jd

[This message has been edited by jd (edited 16-06-2001).]

Advertisement