Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Box Office Query

• 09-05-2002 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I know next to nothing about the technology that is Sky Digital so bear with me.
    Last weekend I decided I would get a movie through SBO, Im not linked up to a phone socket so I went about looking for the number and hit the Box Office button.
    Just to test the system out, I selected "Movies by Start Time" and hit "Shrek"(great movie), it came up what it would cost, so I selected it and it put the movie in my Programme Planner.
    Strange, I thought, it didnt want to connect to a phone line, but I let it tell me when the movie was starting up and lo and behold the movie came on and played straight through.
    Is this normal procedure?
    I asked my brother and he said it didn't go like that for him, he had to call up.
    Someone enlighten me to whats going on please!!!
    I've proceeded to try another film and it allowed me to do it again.

Cheers in advance.

Comments

Yes this is correct procedure as your box , starts out with some box office credit.
    you will alas be charged for that movie:(
    They know you watched it.
    You may be able to get a few box office films again up to the box limit and then your digibox will insist that you connect the phoneline, or else the movie won't be authorised,or unless you phone sky yourself.
    mm
    p.s if you are near a video store and have the time,you should go down, it's cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Thanks a mill, I needed some clarification, ya get nothing in this life free eh?
    Oh well, wishful thinking.
    Theres a vid store 5mins walk away but I'm a lazy git.
    I dont think I'll be making a habit of Sky box office.

ah mr Bigglesworth,
    you should make the effort and go down to that video store.
    Theres usually (in mine anyhow) some georgeous babes there:) :p;):)
    Way ahead of just a phone call :)
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

anyone know what the limit is. my card is full and i must pay it off and don't want a shock on my bank balance

afaik,
    It's not a huge amount Mossy-ie no more than a few movies.
    If Tony see's this he may have the correct figure.
    Mind you i only got billed last week for a box office film I watche last October!
    Xtravision wouldn't give you that much credit:eek:
    Still prefer there for a smile with the babes though:D :p
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

€23, i just ordered the GP and my stoopid brother had ordered Insurrection already and i had to order the GP with the credit card, i was told the limit is €23 in PPV's pre month but that may not apply to the cards.

just as long as it isn't massive i don't really mind. a weekend from the pub wouldn't hurt anyway

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by chernobyl
    €23, i just ordered the GP and my stoopid brother had ordered Insurrection already and i had to order the GP with the credit card, i was told the limit is €23 in PPV's pre month but that may not apply to the cards.

Is that all? God, they don't expect you to watch much! I thought it was €50. Maybe they dropped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Yes this is correct procedure as your box , starts out with some box office credit. you will alas be charged for that movie
    It aint nessisarily so.
    If you don't have a phone line attached, there is no way that Sky can know you watched the movie.

Originally posted by carrolls

It aint nessisarily so.
    If you don't have a phone line attached, there is no way that Sky can know you watched the movie.

Carrols I don't know how, but they do know you have watched a movie.
    If you simply order the film by ringing Sky yourself and don't watch it -you are not charged, and this has been my experience.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by madman

Carrols I don't know how, but they do know you have watched a movie.
    If you simply order the film by ringing Sky yourself and don't watch it -you are not charged, and this has been my experience.
    mm

Do you have the phoneline connected? I think it dials back to Sky to let them know if you watched it, but if you didn't it does nothing.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

I dont have it connected at all, now Im back to wondering!!
    Is madman or carrolls right????!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by MrBigglesworth
    I dont have it connected at all, now Im back to wondering!!
    Is madman or carrolls right????!!!!!!

If you don't connect the phoneline, you'll only be able to order a certain amount of box-office events before the credit on your card runs out, and you'll have to connect the phoneline until the box chooses to dial-back to Sky.

Glenn

Originally posted by Glennus

If you don't connect the phoneline, you'll only be able to order a certain amount of box-office events before the credit on your card runs out, and you'll have to connect the phoneline until the box chooses to dial-back to Sky.

Glenn

Well-i'm learning, but not sure if I'm any wiser:D
    So I don't know how Mr Bigglesworth must feel:D
    The Sky operator told me that I would only be charged if I watched the film.
    Thinking on that-they probably assumed that there was a phoneline connection.
    Also I have only ever had the phone connected to order box office via the digibox twice.
    I am presuming now that in those split second Sky also took the time when I was ordering movies to check previous history-how nice of them:rolleyes:
    mm

If BSkyB can tell that you have watched a box-office movie and the phone line is not connected, this is truly amazing, because Sky Digital is a one way signal system. Satellite to Digibox and not Digibox to Satellite.
    If you don't have a phoneline connected, the only way to order a movie or box office event is to phone Sky with your credit card details.
    You have about £10 credit on your card when you get a new card.( I think). If you use up this £10 and never connect to a phone line, it is free.

Originally posted by carrolls
    the only way to order a movie or box office event is to phone Sky with your credit card details

i've ordered with the phone a few times and used no credit card

When I said Credit card I meant Credit Card/Direct Debit.
    The point I'm making is there is no two way communication between the digibox and the satellite.

Advertisement