Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFx's Cards....which does the business?

• 16-06-2001 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Right, recently i have been pondering this due to the new cards availible on the market and the different specs on all of em.
    The question that really tickles my chin is Which of these really is better,worse or just undecidable due to different specs?
    The cards in question:
    GeForce 2 Gts/Ultra
    Radeon 64DDr
    Hercules Prophet 4500
    All in Wonder
    SiS 735

Which cards have best Gaming performance,Speed,Detail and for their price are they worth it,
    Anyhelp would be appreciated.
    Thanks

^DooDee^

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doodee:
    Right, recently i have been pondering this due to the new cards availible on the market and the different specs on all of em.
    The question that really tickles my chin is Which of these really is better,worse or just undecidable due to different specs?
    The cards in question:
    GeForce 2 Gts/Ultra
    Radeon 64DDr
    Hercules Prophet 4500
    All in Wonder
    SiS 735

Which cards have best Gaming performance,Speed,Detail and for their price are they worth it,
    Anyhelp would be appreciated.
    Thanks

^DooDee^
    </font>

have your heard of this thing called "the internet".it rather helpful for matters like this.
    why would you trust someone else, do your own research, its much better.
    ps
    get a Geforce2 Ultra.
    smile.gif

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

http://www.anandtech.com do great reviews of hardware, you'll find all the info you need on these cards there.

As a quick roundup.

The Geforce Ultra would be the best.
    BUT the Prophet 4500 (Kyro II) comes close in some instances (Though it doesn't have a T&L unit) and is a lot cheaper. It gets the best bang for Buck prize.
    The Radeon's also a good card, especially if you use your PC for a lot of DVD playback. But doesn't quite match the others in raw speed (in most situations).
    All-In-Wonder is a model level ATI have, all it means is x-chipset card with Video Capture and TV. So it'd depend on whether it was a 128 All in wonder, or Radoen etc.

You know there's a Geforce3 right? Current king of the hill, though expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭llatsni

Loadsa dosh - buy a Ultra (or a Geforce 3).
    No dosh - buy a Geforce2GTS from Dabs.com for around 150 quid Irish. I did just that recently... the asustek card is sweeet it has been running fine at 230/400, nice.
    This gives easily over the 7000 points in 3DMark2000 default benchmark on my system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

just ask yourself how much your prepared to spend for a bit more fps, and how long you expect to keep the card once you have bought it.

For longetivity at a decent price i'd go with the gts or ultra.

For a standin card (<1yr) that'll do the job more than adequately pick up a kyro II for a few beans.

Or else if you have money to spare or want something thats gonna perform very well for the next year and a half or more (depending on how games developers pick up dx8) grab a GF3.

tbh its more down to personal choice and what your going to be doing with the card.. i mean look at all those poor people who went and bought voodoo3s while the GF was out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Personal choice would be a Radeon 64DDR out of that lot. It's close to GF2 performance and the image quality from Radeon cards beats seven shades out of NVIDIA cards, which all sacrifice image quality for raw speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shinji:
    Personal choice would be a Radeon 64DDR out of that lot. It's close to GF2 performance and the image quality from Radeon cards beats seven shades out of NVIDIA cards, which all sacrifice image quality for raw speed.</font>

The ATI card is only any good with the Monitor to complement it.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I have the Radeon shinji..... and I have a brill Monitor thats supports some class Features.

The reason for this post was becouse I had an arguement about this to my friend and it has just been tickling my chin since,Everyone seems to go for the GF2 cards for some reason, I picked up my Radeon for 1/3 less the price of a GF2 and equal price to the Herc Prophet 4500 so I am happy, and also now that I have the Radeon PC hooked up to the net I feel much better.....

Thanks for your replys they have been a great help and I think I understand more about the Differences,

P.S,
    I did research on the net about the cards so dont act asif I'm stupid, and also the socalled thing u call the internet, dont u have to use that to post replys on this thread??????

Advertisement