Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBOX Question

Options
  • 10-05-2002 3:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying one, but i want to know is the DVD player any good or is it like the PS2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

dont know much about the DVD player on the XBOX. all i know is that it is an improvement on the PS2 DVD player... that wouldnt be hard :D PS2 player isnt great. if you just want to play a few DVDs here and there it will do the job. but if you are a hardcore movie fan then i would recommend you get a proper DVD player ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ive only watchde 1 or 2 movies on a ps2, i odnt own one mind you and i dident think it was that bad a dvd player. Though i wasent looking for problems with it i was just enjoying the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

buy a game cube and a dvd player.

all in one combos are never as good as seperates.. ask richer sounds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You'll need the extra playback kit (dongle/IR and remote). I've heard it's pretty decent. Better than the PS2 DVD playback as someone else mentioned already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    buy a game cube and a dvd player.

all in one combos are never as good as seperates.. ask richer sounds :D

You could probably buy the two of those for the price of an Xbox + 1 game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

but an x-box has by far the better games out for it
    gc is cheaper but dont be fooled by that
    super monkey ball isnt my type of game and gets boring after 10mins
    rouge squadron is crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

The X-Box is sh*te. Ok? GameCube has better games. SMB is addictive and much better than any of the games on X-Box and Rogue Squadron was fun to the say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by RasTa
    but an x-box has by far the better games out for it
    gc is cheaper but dont be fooled by that
    super monkey ball isnt my type of game and gets boring after 10mins
    rouge squadron is crap

GC is cheaper in price and it's games are cheaper. It's tiny and very very quiet. The controllers are much more comfortable.

You name what? 2 games. Have you even played any of the others? Sonic alone is worth the cash for the thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

In answer to the original question, the DVD player in the XBox is very good indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I dont know about the dvd quality on the xbox, my mate who has one said its quite good. I have a ps2, p.c and a "real" dvd player,
    needless to say you get the best picture out of the dedicated dvd player.

Closely followed by the pc if you have a decent graphics card, large monitor and sub woofer system, the bloody noise off the fan is enough to put you off watching a dvd on the ps2. Remember you must buy a remote to watch dvds on the xbox so take the extra price into account.

I'd say buy a dreamcast which are reasonably cheap now, where you can get sonic adventure 2, headhunter, msr, shenmue and a whole back catalogue of kick ass games, which are just been released now on the xbox, G.c and ps2 for about a fifth of the price. :mad: Keep this in mind, its quite easy to buy full working dreamcast roms for as little as €3 on the net, but you must own the game in the first place of course. No modding required.

And you ll have enough spondulicks left over to buy a decent enough dvd player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Originally posted by Hobbes

GC is cheaper in price and it's games are cheaper. It's tiny and very very quiet. The controllers are much more comfortable.

You name what? 2 games. Have you even played any of the others? Sonic alone is worth the cash for the thing. :)

im coming from dreamcast so the x-box pad is alot nicer
    gamecube looks cheaply built
    i have sonic for the dreamcast so i wont be buyin tha
    as i said b4 super monkey ball bores me
    rouge squadron is crap
    iss played b4
    tony hawks 3 played b4
    only good game comin out for gamecube is resident evil so far
    i still think the x-box is a better option atm with a harddrive,dvd player and online games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

This arguement isnt going to be resolved anytime soon...
    Look the X-Box is by Far a more Superior machine. It has far better Hardwar and also the Japaneese Version of the Controller is being released in Europe (the peripherals for the machine a universal) but if you cant wait I suggest checking out www.liksang.com

Now as I said the X-Box is a Far superior machine for hardware however the Gamecube does have a better Quantity of Games and some are Quality!!
    Gamecube is smaller and Cheaper. It also looks likely to have the backing of all the Game Developers and Publishers. From what I heard it isnt to hard to program and so less time consuming and less energy needed.. I dont have a Clue bout the X-Box's Programmability..

As reguards the DVD on the X-Box it is ment to be Very good. the GPU in the X-Box is based on the GF3 afaik and the Sound chip is the best around atm so you will have lovely Sound playback from it..however you do have to buy the remote inorder to what em... so thats another €20-50 onto the cost of the machine however if your after Just the DVD playback then do just buy a dedicated DVD player or a DVD drive and good Graphics card.
    HALO owns!!!
    but then so does SMB

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Microsoft currently have no plans to release a smaller joypad in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Actually Nekkid there was mention of the releas of the Japaneese Controller in Europe due to complaints about the size of the regualr controller. Was in like Edge or summin.
    Also the peripherals are compatible so u could just order one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What issue?

I know that they released a smaller redesigned version of the joypad in the USA (not the Japanese one though) and said that if the Europeans demanded a smaller joypad, they would get one.

However, the negative feedback towards the standard joypad hasn't been as vocal as it was in the US so a release seems unlikely.

Advertisement