Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is....?

Options
  • 10-05-2002 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

a CNR IDE bus?? on a mother board?

see i am looking to buy a P4 motherboard and am doing a bit of research. i would be nice to understand what i should be looking for.
    any reccomendations and or general tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Quick Google search gives us

Communication and Networking Riser

Communication and Networking Riser (CNR), which was developed by Intel, is an open industry standard for a scalable riser card, which is a hardware device that plugs into a motherboard and holds chips for functions like modems and audio devices. The CNR architecture, and electrical, mechanical, and thermal requirements of the riser interface are defined in the specification.
    The specification was developed for products used to implement low-cost local area network (LAN), modem, and audio subsystems and supports broadband, multichannel audio, V.90 analog modem, Home PNA, and Ethernet-based networking, and can be expanded upon to meet the requirements of developing technologies, such as DSL. In addition to cost benefits, CNR has the capacity to minimize electrical noise interference, through physical separation of noise-sensitive elements from the motherboard's own communication systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

in my line of work i come across CNR modems and ther poo complete utter crap
    avoid like the plague imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

thats that small brown slot aint it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by elexes
    thats that small brown slot aint it ?
    Although it sounds dodgy considering the "poo" references in previous posts, but, erm, yes it is, actually... :rolleyes:

Gadget

Advertisement