Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

err, wtf?

Options
  • 10-05-2002 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Bomb, you invited me to discuss wrestling as a sport on this forum. I did and now youve locked the thread because you didnt like my opinion?

To clarify something in your last post. Muhammed Ali suffered permanent brain damage from his boxing career, any other injury sustained in some exhibition wrestling bout cant really compare to that.

Im still waiting for you to back up your ludicrous opinion (which was stated as fact) that wrestler are the best athletes in the world.

Comments

Muhammad Ali got Parkinsons desease not brain damage.They can prove if it is related to boxing .Michael J Fox also got Parkinson Desease and he doesnt box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I never said Ali's brain got messed up from Wrestling, i saif he got permanently damaged from it, It was his leg that got hurt in a "Shoot" Wrestling match with a japanese pro wrestler, Ali was unable to learn the moves so after his first match they decided to go at it for real or "Shoot" Ali was allowed to do anything but the wrestler could not punch below the waist or kick above the waist, I think the wrestler was Inoki ill find out.
    Good Articles here
    http://rasslinradio.com/jabr030800.htm
    Just a another way of saying what we've been saying, I'll find those quotes about the best athletes thing soon.
    I closed the thread basically because there can be no end to this discussion, and its a stupid one, Basically anyone can bad mouth wrestling but at the end of the day, they are wrong and its as simple as that, say what you want Wrestling fans know the score about our product and someone just looking at it, just isnt going to Get It. its harsh but its true, just like all your arguements have been, "Im right, just because i know i am" this is my Version, If you arent a wrestling fan, you shouldnt be posting on the wrestling board.

Bomb

Sure when Tyson was banned from boxing there for a while ,there was talk of him going op against a Japanese wrestler/shoot fighter .This was then cancelled as they feared for tyson i think .Their excuse was they could work out financial issues .Cant remember the fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by bombidol

I closed the thread basically because there can be no end to this discussion, and its a stupid one, Basically anyone can bad mouth wrestling but at the end of the day, they are wrong and its as simple as that, say what you want Wrestling fans know the score about our product and someone just looking at it, just isnt going to Get It. its harsh but its true, just like all your arguements have been, "Im right, just because i know i am" this is my Version, If you arent a wrestling fan, you shouldnt be posting on the wrestling board.

Bomb

Hi, The comments in bold are opinion. Your posts on this subject are made up of as much personal opinion as mine. Yet, the thread was locked because my opinion doesnt match yours.

Anyway,back to the reason im posting on the wrestling board (Because you asked me too).
    Why the strong association with sport? You yourself have said that its not a real sport as any normal sane person would say. Why then, is there this constant comparison to sports? The juvenile article that you linked to consisted entirely of analogies with sports. Why so wrestling fans never compare it to movies or TV? Its much closer to that industry. Is it a yearning to belong/gain legitimacy in the sporting world or is it a subconsicous refusal to accept reality. I dont mean that in a bad way, every human suffers from that - its what makes horror movies scary. We KNOW its not real, yet we still get a fright. Does this explain the sport tag that pro-wrestling gives itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

If you arent a wrestling fan, you shouldnt be posting on the wrestling board.

You invited Dustaz here to discuss the subject in the JCVD thread on Films/TV here --> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=455586#post455586
    Id be more than happy to have this discussion with you in the pro wrestling board.

More than happy!?

In case you didn't notice, one of the things these boards are for is to discuss things. This (now brace yourself because this might come as a shock) might even involve people disagreeing with you.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

well i dont agree that any topic should be locked or closed simply because someone's opinion isnt like everyone elses, thats what makes a topic fun - many ideas, lots of arguements - atleast if you are allowed to put forward your two cents.

There will always be those who dont like the term "sport" being associated with wrestling and there are those who will defend wrestling to the damn hilt at any given moment. at the end of the day no one has a "right" or "wrong" opinion - all we have our opinions, thats all we have to rely on.

yes wrestling is entertainment, yes wrestling, according to some people is a sport. some people believe wrestling is a real thing (that nothing is scripted), other are "in the know", they know its fake, but they still appreciated.

i myself am guilty of trying to argue with Dustaz. and hell i believe everyone on that topic made some good and bad points (i am guilty as charged myself with that).

the only explanation i can give as to why sport is associated with pro-wrestling is that at the very root, at the very heart of it, is that pro-wrestling has its basis with the legitimate form of wrestling, two athletic (note to dustaz - i didnt say athletes......lol) people go head to head. pro-wrestling just takes that basis and run with the ball, giving us scripts, storylines, actors/performers and above all, spectacle.

this is no justification as to why sport is associated with pro-wrestling its merely what i believe. i expect to be corrected, and re-corrected, but I dont claim to be right or wrong, merely forward an opinion.

it doesnt matter whether anyone is a wrestling fan or not, they can post where and when they like, if they have something legitimate to contribute, like Dustaz did when that topic started up, and hell I admire what he did, he posted what he thought and expected some feedback/backlash, its just a shame the topic was locked, but what was even more of a shame is that too many of us, wrestling fans, jumped up and down on Dustaz, instead of saying "thanks for your opinion"

Back to what Dustaz was saying

"Why so wrestling fans never compare it to movies or TV? Its much closer to that industry. Is it a yearning to belong/gain legitimacy in the sporting world or is it a subconsicous refusal to accept reality. I dont mean that in a bad way, every human suffers from that - its what makes horror movies scary. We KNOW its not real, yet we still get a fright. Does this explain the sport tag that pro-wrestling gives itself?"

I can never speak for everyone, but hell when I started watching wrestling (years and years ago), I thought it was real ( as any kid would) but then I start to believe less in, but was still fascinated with it (hell I write for a wrestling website - why, cause I enjoy it)

Why is it assoicated with "sport", I cant answer that either, I dont know why, I am not backtracking on what I said in the other topic, because as long as I have watched wrestling, it has always been classed as sport, sports entertainment or entertainment. If the promoters or federations came out and said it was anything else, thats up to them. Over the years fans have been given these word associations by the same wrestlers/organisations to chew on, and the words stuck - simple as that. I dont try and associate wrestling with anything else - to me wrestling is wrestling, its on TV, its entertainment to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Thread closed, Opened original thread see last post for reasons.

Bomb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement