Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCSI/IDE error

• 13-06-2001 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

lo,

My friend just bought a new
    Creative 8*4*32 speed CD-RW

He set it as the primary and set his old CD-ROM to secondary.
    He set the jumper settings right and has them in the right IDE slots.

When he tries to burn a CD he goes fine through the speed write test but when it acctually starts to burn a CD he gets the error message

SCSI/IDE Error

He is able to read CD's from the drive.

Does anybody know why this might be hapenning and a way to repair it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

put the cd-rw as slave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have you got the latest adaptec aspi drivers ?

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

probably a loose ide cable - check your mobo and drive, make sure jumpers are correct.
    yeh if not update your aspi layer.
    http://www.dawicontrol.com/software/aspiinst.exe
    is the drive detected at boot?
    what operating system?
    what make cdrw and what cd-writing software?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Make sure DMA is enabled for both the drives.
    What OS is he using?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We have tryed the CD-RW as a slave, same thing

Hes on Windows 2000 SE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

2000 SE (service pack 2?)Update the aspi drivers here..(any microsoft os)

ftp://ftp.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi32.exe

Do NOT enable dma on the cdrw

Set the burn speed to 4x or lower, some media claim to be 8x or higher but won't burn at that on some drives.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Prehaps a reason as to why NOT to enable DMA on the CDRW Longfield...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

not overly sure about this now, but i think i recall seeing somewhere that if you are burning to a cd and that is if the writer and main cd drive are on the same ide cable that you will have problems burning to the cd writer.
    not to sure bout this now, but then im not sure about anything at this monment in time smile.gif ( just finished the LC today )
    please correct me if im wrong (toke me ages to spell check this bloody post too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SickBoy:
    Prehaps a reason as to why NOT to enable DMA on the CDRW Longfield...</font>

Sorry SickBoy, i just reread my post and realised it looks confrontational, i didn't mean it that way, apologies. I should have phrased it better, what i meant to say is that dma sometimes causes problems with some cdrw drives. If it works on your drive, all the better for you(lower cpu usage) but from a trouble shooting point of view, i'm not aware of any cdrw drive that NEEDS dma, some do work better with it but some don't at all. All, in my experience work with it off.Anyhow check out this link..

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/cdrwin/configwinide.html

Adaptec/Roxio software is probably the most commonly bundled software with burners.

[This message has been edited by Longfield (edited 14-06-2001).]

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yeah, Davoc is right. The IDE controllers can only read or write to one drive ata time. So by puting both on teh one cable u effectively half or even quarter your speed.
    put it on teh Hard-drve cable as slave because I'd say your just going to be using it for copying(backing up surely?) your and other ppl's cds.
    Also, you should've gotten a drive with some sort of burn proof thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

Um sorry to venture in here from the HL board, and I know **** all about hardware, but I installed that Creative and basically what happened was:
    I set it as the master, with my DVD as slave, and the CD-R/RW works fine. So does the DVD except the DVD drive will no longer play music CDs through the computer, only through the headphones at the front of the drive which sound a bit crap.
    Dunno if that helped, probably not :/
    One further bit of advice; whatever you do for God's sake don't read the manual because it's a hideous piece of sh!te smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Does this only happen when trying CD-CDRW?
    Does it happen if you choose to burn and image of the CD to the hard drive first and then burn it to CD?

If that's a Yes and a No, then it is most likely contention on the IDE cable. Basically keep the CDRW away from the drive you will be using most for a data source (Which for me is the HDD, as at worst you can make images of CDs to the drive before burning)

Zaph, you can select which drive you want to play Audio in the MultiMedia section of control panel, just make sure you still have the CD-Audio cable connected to the DVD when you switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well, I know when I got my Philips CD-RW, the thing that solved all the problems I had was, as gerry says, to make sure that they are on Different IDE cables. and the CD-R should be the slave.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

normally I find its best to slave the cdrw off the hard drive cable. Sometimes writers and dvd's will work on the same cable, its a very iffy thing though, as Zaphod has shown here. i.e. it works when the writer is master, and the dvd is slave, and not the other way round. It makes more sense, creed to do as you say, and keep it on a separate cable from your main data source. But I have found to work best as a slave on the hard drive cable, and I also burn mainly from images. Unfortunately logic doesn't always work with computer hardware smile.gif

As for DMA, well I have dma working on my own writer, and it is excellent. Now burning only uses 1-2% cpu, and I can do other stuff while burning a cd. I tried to enable dma recently on just half's machine though, and it caused nero to crash in the middle of burning a cd. On via based boards, its not really very likely that dma will work, but its worth a try in case it does. For troubleshooting, as Longfield says, it should be off.
    Some writers don't like dma either, and you will notice that it is not usually enabled by default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

what he did to fix it was, swap the drives around to the CD RW as slave and reinstall the software. Im pretty sure it was just NERO acting the *****.

Thanks for the help everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Zaphod Beeblebrox

thx CreeD smile.gif

Advertisement