Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beating VAT in the UK

Options
  • 10-05-2002 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a new PC system from the UK as I cannot purchase here in Ireland. A friend of mine down the country has just bought a similar system and he has commented on how he was somehow able to avoid paying VAT because he paid for it through his brother in-laws company? - dont fully understand what he done.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone had any comments to make on this? Is there any "legal" way of avoiding to pay tax on something purchased from the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

probably the same as over here.. a company can usually claim the vat back with a vat receipt! as for not buying Irish.. why not? You can get a pc here just as cheap.. cheaper maybe when you take sterling into account!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Saruman,

I would buy Irish if I could get the system that I want here. The system Im looking for is for PC based digital video editing and includes firewire cards etc that cannot normally be purchased here in Ireland. If I could I would as I know that it would be a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

There is no way of "beating" VAT legally-

What your friend did was illegal by using (I suspect) a registered VAT number of a company fraudulently.

Read this boards Charter - Tax Evasion aint up for discussion

CLOSED.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement