Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired to wireless...

Options
  • 10-05-2002 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Right got two wired lans.
    They are about 300m apart
    Can i connect an access point to each and link them wirelessly or is there more to it??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Thats pretty much it... assuming there is no obstruction that would prevent the 2 points talking to each other... the other thing to remember is that if you do that (2 AP/Bridge's) one on each LAN any one can pull up with a laptop and WLAN card a get on the net... you will probs have to address general network stuff as well (address space on each LAN etc...)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Ill tell you man.. theres a bit more to it..
    you need, 2 Linksys WAP11's....
    Thatll sort you.. 11mbps via 802.11b...

Dont make the mistake of getting orinoco stuff.... they advertise one thing.. and then want to charge you an arm and a leg for the software to connect 2 lans wirelessly :)

Assuming the the 2 AP's will do bridging there nothing to it... cheapest way to do it is 2 linux boxs + WLAN cards + ethernet cards bridge the interfaces and your done.... would recomend that as an option though!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well if it works then I'll worry about security.

Now can you plug an access point directly into a network card rather then a hub?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

should be able to... with a crossover cable :)

• Advertisement

Yeah the Chief is right there cross over should work... sounds a bit strange though why go to the expense of buying a AP and then only plug one machine in to it? (if you dont mind me askin)

sounds a bit strange though why go to the expense of buying a AP and then only plug one machine in to it?

Well the network is not used at night so rather then buying a wireless card or usb external I thought I'd use the access point myself for a while. To test its......well to see if .......

Ok, I use it for lan games at home myself :p

Is that an ok answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Using an access point plugged into one pc is fine. You can still connect as many pcs as you want to the access point.

I C...that makes sense all right :)

you reall shoud address security though.... or else you might not be the only person using it at night.... :(

No real need at the moment everything gets turned off. The only thing left running is the server but seeing as the power to the wired hubs and wireless access points is turned off there is no way of accessing it.

Maybe next year or later when we need to leave the network running, then i'll worry about it. Till then no worrys :)

• Advertisement

fair enough... dont say u weren't warned ;)

Advertisement