Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Programming team.

• 10-05-2002 4:34pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're looking into creating a Test.boards.ie where we can have a group of people who want to code and test cool little features in boards that the admins would never have time to put together. Its kinda like open-sourcing boards.ie but it will have to be a trusted group of people (ie: people we know or who are trusted in the community).

The idea being that many hands make light work. Noone will *have* to do anything but we are looking for people who are "into" doing something like this when the feeling takes them or they see/hear/think of a good idea...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I assume it's all php/sql stuff ? or will yee be interested in testing out new systems ?

I have a bit of spare time over the summer. ( telly got blown up ) I recall a plan to develop an avantgo channel, that I was too busy at the time to help out with.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

sounds interesting. dunno how much time I'd have, but sure I'll give it a shot and see :)

/me raises hand to volunteer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Just what i was looking for DeVore :)

Count me in if you wish, i'd like to get my hands dirty :)

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

i'd be very interested - i dont know any php, but i know lots of java + javascript and c++

(as far as i've been told php is c++ with lots of dollar signs :D )

i've been waiting for a project like this to get me off my ass to learn php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'd be interested as well.

As with DBC (and others, no doubt) I am not a PHP wizzurd, but I am a multi-language coder by profession, and have at least a passing knowledge of PHP. Oh - and some mates who are well hard at PHP.

And there's a small change I want to make too, so I even have ideas to offer!

On the down side, there's limits to how much time I can put into it. boards is already the charlie in my life, I dont need another dose of addiction.

jc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I don't have a hell of a lot of time to do heavy coding at the moment, but I'd be happy to help out with bits and pieces here and there.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

!

Well damn, sign me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

i've some experience with vbulletin ,

changing templates , site integration etc.

X ___________

(my signature is there ya just can't see it cause its on my screen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

if its php/mysql you can count me in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I would like to see how vB works count me in though I'd prolly be there to help others code work more than implement my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Count me in. I know me perl, and all about the whole websitey stuff. After me exams I have a book on php to learn, and an sql server to set up. I'd like even to be able to lurk, simply for the experience (I'm a Comp Sci student :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭jd

I could maybe give a hand occasionally...
    I'm currently working on oracle stuff/perl/php/plsql etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

/me raises hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

moi aussi

I've been making websites since i was 13, programming since i was 12 :)

done a lot of php work on my site http://sisob.dyndns.org - you can also see my phpBB board there as well.

done cgi, ssi, DHTML in the past as well

Would test.boards.ie be a totally different board with a totally different database? It would be cool to have somewhere to add new features before adding them to boards.ie

I'd say in the short term a board should be created to discuss this - sounds like a lot of fun

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We'll be creating a "Hackers" Board under Admin to help everyone communicate about this (and to take back the word from the popular media's negative slant :) )

To answer some questions:
    It is a complete new install of the system with an empty database (so peoples passwords are not exposed even to the programming team) so we can throw anything we like at it.

Its a MySQL backend with a PHP front end.

The first thing we'll be doing is altering the database to support the advanced membership and coding some simple fun things (like changing someone elses tagline :) ). Some of this stuff will be linked to the credit card scheme we're setting up.
    Regi has set up CVS for code management and we are setting up some simple migration/testing tools.

We'll need a real live meeting somewhere to talk about it but first there is a lot to be done on the backend and with XOR unwell at the moment that might take time.

Nice to see people willing to give of their time no matter how small to get the site moving forward. Remember there wont really be deadlines as such so even people with a little time to spare will be able to pick something from the wishlist and add their names to the list of people who have improved Boards.ie

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

I'll help out. I couldn't programme a video to record gardeners world but I can moan really well if ya need a moaner :) On a more serious note sounds like a top idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by DeVore

We'll need a real live meeting somewhere to talk about it but first there is a lot to be done on the backend and with XOR unwell at the moment that might take time.

I can suggest a venue or two :)

Nice to see people willing to give of their time no matter how small to get the site moving forward. Remember there wont really be deadlines as such so even people with a little time to spare will be able to pick something from the wishlist and add their names to the list of people who have improved Boards.ie

That's a cool idea, and will probably in reality mean that stuff ends up getting done faster - look at any open source project.

Al.

Addendum: Check out this post for some of my fascist plans.

Slydice - that's just terrible :rolleyes:

[godawful pun]
    I dunno, do ye really want open the system to a trojan
    [/godawful pun]
    :D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

We'll be creating a "Hackers" Board under Admin to help everyone communicate about this (and to take back the word from the popular media's negative slant :) )

If you need a mod for this "hackers" board
    <raises hand>
    I'm sure there will be a stream of script kiddies asking how to "hack" :D

oh and on the subject of open source - some tux and bsd-devil-guy avitars would be cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well if you can find a use for me I'd gladly help Boards.ie.

My main area is Java but I know C/C++, SQL and a few other bits and bobs. I haven't got a whole lot of experience with open source projects but sher I might as well start here eh!?:)

Sorry about the lateness of my reply to this topic, call it modesty if ye want ('cause that makes me sound like a nice guy :)).

Like I said I'm not very experienced but I'd really love to know the ins and outs of a site like Boards.ie. The way Boards.ie works inspired a lot of my Final Year Project for college, which I'm quite proud of actually.

I promise not to break anything!

Originally posted by Puck
    I promise not to break anything!

Oh, but that's the fun part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Sounds like a good larf alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

yeah count me in after meh exams....only small php knowledge...but i've SQL,Java,C++,ASP,Assembly,C,n quantum mechanics...that any use to websites ? :p

in the interest of open-source we could give phpBB a try on the test server in parallel to vbulletin

it has soooo many features that, when I come back to boards.ie it just feels antiquated.

eg.
    • Quotes are automagically in a differrent font and on a different colour background to the rest of a post - very nice
    • when you reply - all the post of the thread are in an iframe below where you type your reply - looks tres swish
    • I've never used the vbulletin admin interface but the phpBB one is great
    • Previewing your post
    • the PM interface kicks vbulletins ass
    • Avitar gallery lets you choose by subject
    • The idea of user groups would probably help with the "special" members thing

of course there are probably a good few features that are missing - but i'm sure that could be worked on

v. easy to install aswell - i could do it given ftp and chmod access once the sql database is created

It's also wonderfuly hackable - being os and all it's fully documented

if you want to play around with a phpBB i have one running here http://sisob.dyndns.org/phpBB/index.php

</rant>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Originally posted by sisob
    of course there are probably a good few features that are missing - but i'm sure that could be worked on

Well the opposite of that is also true i.e. whats missing from vb can be worked on. Also I've used that other bulletin board system and I personally much prefer this one, I think it has a much more professional look to it, not to mention that with the last update of phpbb I was surfing another bulletin board and all dates and access masks got switched so all posts were 1/1/1970 or something and I could see the private boards too. Not exactly what I'd call stable.

Now dont get me wrong this isnt meant as a personal attack, I'm just pointing out a con or two.

Well the opposite of that is also true i.e. whats missing from vb can be worked on.

Good point - I guess we'd have to make a list of features of both and see which one has the most of what we want. I don't know how hard or easy it is to add features to vBulletin....
    Also I've used that other bulletin board system and I personally much prefer this one, I think it has a much more professional look to it,

I agree that out of the box phpBB does looks pretty crap - but the look is determined by the theme. The one i use on my site look pretty cool IMHO : http://sisob.dyndns.org/phpBB/index.php.
    check out http://www.phpbb.com/styles/styles_demo/ for more themes

the only real difference between phpBB and vbulletin is the features - everything else is customisable.

also the cloud theme could be ported. If someone important says that there is a chance we might be able to try out phpBB i'll make up a cloudish theme for it just to see what it looks like.

not to mention that with the last update of phpbb I was surfing another bulletin board and all dates and access masks got switched so all posts were 1/1/1970 or something and I could see the private boards too. Not exactly what I'd call stable.

Well i'd say that that was a human error ... couldnt be certain. It's been v. stable in my experience.

Now dont get me wrong this isnt meant as a personal attack, I'm just pointing out a con or two.

hey, of course - if ppl aren't brutally honest then nothing will get done. I'm just throwing it out there as an idea cus i like it - it's v. unlikely that anyone will agree with me but what the hey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

has anyone seen the bulletin boards that has an iframe for code, that does a line count and syntax highlighting with a nice white background?

i cant remember where i saw it :/

[idea: we could make more than just 2 themes]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I would be interested as you may guess but I know little PHP as i use ASP for all my coding.

The main problem phpBB would create for the Boards gang is that (as far as I can see) it's not hierarchal. The front page would be enormous.

adam

The great thing about phpbb is that it's free,

it also has it's own stylists and mod'ers working on it's site www.phpbb.com

it even has other mod and style sites like http://www.phpbb2-users.de

I agree it's a very easy to install system

I don't know about the comparison to the admin panels

my big problem is that the is nothing like the usercp that vB has

==============
    end of rant
    ===============

Right whats the story about getting this test vB board up then?
    any update?

Originally posted by dahamsta
    The main problem phpBB would create for the Boards gang is that (as far as I can see) it's not hierarchal. The front page would be enormous.

like Vbulletin phpBB has groups --> boards --> threads

Originally posted by Slydice

my big problem is that the is nothing like the usercp that vB has

[/B]

yeah - apparently that wont be added till 2.2 so i guess phpBB is a no no :(

btw there are a lot of hacks for it on
    http://www.phpbbhacks.com/

but i'm gonna stop ranting about it now

email list/board wouls be good alright. A meeting in the middle of the week would be handiest for me, after work. As a pose to a saturday or sunday, though having said that a sunday wouldn't be too bad alright.

As regards development etc, are we developing a new system or adding to the current one ?
    I'd imagine two groups could be set up for that. But this was all discussed just a while ago wasn't it.. ?

Gav

• Advertisement

like Vbulletin phpBB has groups --> boards --> threads

Well, I installed it locally last week and I couldn't get more than two levels. I'm not knocking phpBB - it's the only piece of proprietry software I run on my servers, and I don't like that - I just don't think it's up to the level of vBulletin. And I'm not sure they're going to catch up - the next version of vB sounds very cool.

The thing that annoys me most about vB is the fact that when they spot an unlicenced installation, they don't even have the common courtesy to email the owner and check before sending in the IP dogs. (I moved my footie forum from phootball.com to foot.ie last year and forgot to change the URL on my licence.) Protecting your IP I get, acting the prick about it I don't.

Unfortunately though, the alternatives don't really compare. phpBB is pretty close, but not close enough, and OpenBB seems to have simply died.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i'd assist. at least to make tea or coffee.

Originally posted by dahamsta

Well, I installed it locally last week and I couldn't get more than two levels. I'm not knocking phpBB - it's the only piece of proprietry software I run on my servers, and I don't like that - I just don't think it's up to the level of vBulletin. And I'm not sure they're going to catch up - the next version of vB sounds very cool.

yeah - i was looking at the demo admin pannel on the vBulletin website and it kick's phpBB's ass. I hope vBulletin will catch up on the end-user features. that's where phpBB excells.

And where can we find out about the next version of vBulletin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'd help only I don't think they make these here websites with cobol anymore which is the only real (depending on your state of mind) language I knew.

But I'd be more than happy to beta test stuff on different platforms.

Also it gives me special feeling in the cockles of my heart, maybe below the cockles, maybe in the sub-cockle area. Maybe in the liver. Maybe in the kidneys. Maybe even in the colon, that so many people have volunteered their services.

(and no calling me an asshole)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well I dont know PHP but I'm pretty damn good about DB's so you can put my name down for some DB work if you want as I would only be to happy to help.

kayos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Id would be interested, but, based on this tread there appears to be too many cooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I actually have admin rights on a pretty busy forum that uses vbulletin. iv not done much work with it, just glanced over its features. It is bloody sweet :)

But as dev said it will be a new system using Vbulletin and a new db. What would the point in changing to new forum software when we will be devoping for the current system which in the long run will stay with Vb, thats my opinion anyway.

For a meeting, anytime suits me. Also a mailing list for this mite be a good idea over another new board (/me pimps a mailing list again).

Regards,

Paul

Fair few people alright. Just need to figure out a few goals I suppose and then chop people into various teams.

As regards any code developed, I remember Dev saying something about licensing... What's the deal ? No offence but I don't want to write code that Spin will own. ( unless you pay me :) )

I'm assuming that you wouldn't do that anyway.. just to get clarification.

Gav

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Not sure if this is of any use, but Im continuously making .swi (Flash / Macromedia) files when Im not mapping for HL/CS/TFC etc, so if you need any Flash Material made, drop me a PM and I'll get cracking...

Again, not sure if you'll need it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

Im in

i would suggest a mailing list aswell

c22

YEY UNSANE IS BACK

hehe.gif

Originally posted by flamegrill
    I actually have admin rights on a pretty busy forum that uses vbulletin.

Oh no you don't.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We will be adjusting the code and the database as they are at the moment (by "new db" I meant a test copy of the existing db with the data removed.)

The code would belong to Boards.ie Ltd, which while not belonging to Spin Solutions is largely owned by the same people (Me, Regi, Vex, Tr1n1ty), add in a dash of Cloud and you have Boards.ie Ltd.

In terms of remuneration, well we dont get paid and we wont be selling Boards any time soon so theres nothing in the kitty to go round. For legal reasons yes, we'd be asking you to waive your copyrights over the source but not to Spin, only to Boards.ie.

Yes, Spin could run off to cuba with your code but since we are a Microsoft house mostly and dont write php what would we do with your precious code? :)
    Truth is, we'll probably turn anything neat we do over to the open source community where we get stuff like the stars hacks etc.

In terms of what you get from it, well noone's going to beat you with a stick to code, its only if the idea appeals to you and pretty much to each small teams deadline as they see fit. Its not like we're really house proud round this site :)
    I'll also testify that you worked on the project and your name will go on a list of people who have "code in production" when your bits go live...

I guess one thing we could do is some of the neat Members+ stuff we were talking about, I mean the programming team would need um, *ahem* test accounts right? :)

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

DeV...from what I know of open source code, it won't matter if you did run off to cuba, or even to the moon...the code would still be open source...

U would have to create a GPL type lience just to save ur own neck.

Also don't vBulletin have sonrthin against this opensource things as i think this was brought up b4 and shot down for that very reason.

other that that i'm all up for up. Count me in

Grand stuff. I don't have a problem with boards.ie owning the software or signing anything over. As for spinsol not wanting it.. well wait til you see me code ! ( har har har )

Gav

• Advertisement
Advertisement