Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Programming team.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

lol boards ltd will sell it to spinsol for a neat sum i'd say ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

i'd like to work on this, sounds fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭regi

vBulletin have a problem with their code being published - they can't claim anything over the hacks. In fact, on vbulletin.org (their hacks site) they explicitly say that all the hacks are copyright to the person who wrote them.

We'll need to look into a specific licence for the written hacks, maybe along the lines of the apache licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

There's always phpbb2 - looks very nice, and is GPL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

We dicussed this in another thread recently Cloud -- there a couple of problems with it, the main one being that it appears it only have two levels (categories and forums, but no hierarchy). That said, it could have been a result of a misconfiguration or a screwed-up import from Foot.ie. The control panel isn't very good either though, and that would be important to Boards.ie.

I might have another look at it tonight, and I'll have a poke at OpenBB too.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ugh, I'm firmly against changing the core system. Its taken us 6 months to knock things in to some form of shape here and I dont want to move simply for the move.

There shouldnt be code license problems as the code wont be leaving our server.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by DeVore

There shouldnt be code license problems as the code wont be leaving our server.

Well, you'll have to specifically state that to us then :) I would be a prime suspect for taking code home to test it :) (but not if you told me not to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Gerry

To test it with multiple users on your own web server and db setup yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Gerry
    To test it with multiple users on your own web server and db setup yeah?

Well...to test it with multiple users (all me) on my own uninternetworked web server and db setup.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

So anyway, phpBB doesn't support hierarchal forums, and OpenBB appears to be dead.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭sisob

So anyway, phpBB doesn't support hierarchal forums, and OpenBB appears to be dead.

AFAIK the only place boards users a heriarchy is for the 3 catagories under community which could very easily be seporated into 3 top level groups.

We dicussed this in another thread recently Cloud

that was the start of this thread - we really need that hackers board - this thread is gonna get realllly long

yeah - it's great for the end users - lots of great features - but it is a lot harder to admin than vbulleting - eg. there is no option to to board-wide anouncements - they need to be done board by board *shudder*

one realllly great feature of phpBB2 is that any of us can run it on our own pc's and so hack offline - makes getting things done 10 times faster - with vBulleting we're flying blind

sisob a global announcement hack for phpBB was made about 2-3 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

I would be interested if the project was setup with sourceforge.net or similar. I would feel a bit uncomfortable if title in the code was with any company that had the potential to make profit from it. Boards.ie has a lot of commercial potential in terms of advertising, etc. The word of honour of its directors is all very well until someone starts waving wads of cash under the nose. Its better to remove any ambiguity from the situation.

So, use something like sourceforge.net to transparently manage the project making all documentation, downloads, etc available. Source code should be controled using CVS. Create a license or just use GPL.

On the other hand, if people are out there looking for experience to add to their CVs accompanied by a reference from Boards.ie Ltd, then that's a matter between Boards.ie and the developer.

Personally I would like to get stuck into a project that had something to do with personalised content, e.g. personal calendars, reminder systems, etc.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

we cant open source the vBB code. people have waved money under our noses before and we havent sold out. That said, theres nothing to say we wouldnt at some stage but theres noplan at the moment to move that direction. I mean, we dont even have a business-plan lol.

Boards doesnt have a big revenue earning model, advertising is dead in the water and requires sales people (who cost in wages etc).

I'm not talking about rewriting the world, I'm talking about tweaks and neat stuff that wont take a 5 man team 6 months to write. There is no point in doing this if its going to cost people so much time that they feel they have invested loads into the code.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

its very simple dev, pick a team of 5 trusted and good programming people then be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by MindPhuck
    its very simple dev, pick a team of 5 trusted and good programming people then be done with it.
    I'm pretty damn good if I do say so myself, and I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by MindPhuck

pick a good team of five and get them to hand out what code needs to be done to the lesser folk. If someone doesn't get the code done, loses interest etc, then assign it to someone else.

Why waste all the manpower ? There's alot of people alright, so we just need good organisation. People with team leading experience... ( not me. )

Gav

Mp/Verb
    Thats pretty much what I'm planning on doing.

DeV.

I agree that boards.ie needs to stay with vBulletin - and DeVore needs to nominate a *small* number of people to do the work.

That said it would be great to see the hacks or hackers board where everyone could discuss possible impriovements to the vBulletin system(there is a lot that could be made easier to use).

Also this thread has shows that there is a lot of interest in open source. I've been thinking about requesting an open source board for a few months now but I was sure that ppl would just say "feck off back to unix where you belong" :) now I think that there is enough interest (and open-source has spread far beyond it's unix beginnings) to warrant one. It could be used for discussions and co-ordinating projects.

For anyone interested in hacking phpBB I can set one up on a some v. fast, v.good webspace that I have with a friend in canada. I'd love to see a phpBB with as many hacks as we can find installed and then comparing it to vBulletin. See what's missing and then hack it together ourselves. This would all be obviously totally sepproate to boards.ie and anyone's code would be under whatever open-source lisence phpBB uses.

Later,
    sisob

Be cool if there was enough here to write a full BBS to rival vB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by sisob
    I agree that boards.ie needs to stay with vBulletin - and DeVore needs to nominate a *small* number of people to do the work.

That said it would be great to see the hacks or hackers board where everyone could discuss possible impriovements to the vBulletin system(there is a lot that could be made easier to use).

Also this thread has show that there is a lot of interest in open source. I've been thinking about requesting an open source board for a few months now but I was sure that ppl would just say "feck off back to unix where you belong" :) now I think that there is enough interest (and open-source has spread far beyond it's unix beginnings) to warrant one. It could be used for discussions and co-ordinating projects.

For anyone interested in hacking phpBB I can set one up on a some v. fast, v.good webspace that I have with a friend in canada. I'd love to see a phpBB with as many hacks as we can find installed and then comparing it to vBulletin. See what's missing and then hack it together ourselves. This would all be obviously totally sepproate to boards.ie and anyone's code would objviously be under whatever open-source lisence phpBB uses.

Later,
    sisob

I agree that the team should be small, too many cooks spoil the blah blah blah....
    Right now I don't think I deserve to be a member of that team because I don't know PHP but have just started learning it, which is really bold because I should be studying for my exams. :)

However, as I said I am learning PHP (looks lovely so far, I'm from a Java/C/C++ background and it doesn't look too hard at all) and would one day like to help out maybe as part of this team so I think the Hackers board would be a good idea. I would like to know what is going on and show of my PHP skills (when I get them). I replied to this thread in the first place to show Boards that I would love to help out with programming if ye want. It would be a good experience for me and my first real open-source project.

Without wanting to sound cocky, I am a good programmer, I'm just a little low on experience in this area and as soon as I get my head around PHP I would love to help out if ye'll have me.

Originally posted by Slydice
    Be cool if there was enough here to write a full BBS to rival vB

well a huge amount of work has gone into phpBB ( http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ ) - I strongly believe that it will out-take vBulletin quite soon. There are already a lot of hacks for it ( http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ http://sourceforge.net/projects/hacksphpbb/ http://hacks.phpbb.com/mods/ ) and it's been designed with the end-user in mind which will make it very popular. Working with phpBB would give us the benefit of help from hundreds of likeminded developers.

Originally posted by Puck

It would be a good experience for me and my first real open-source project.

all the phpBB stuff i've been waffling about would be open-source and if that was to get underway i'm sure we'd love to have "good programmer" like yourself.

As for the project to improve boards.ie - i can't speak for how open-source that would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Originally posted by sisob

all the phpBB stuff i've been waffling about would be open-source and if that was to get underway i'm sure we'd love to have "good programmer" like yourself.

As for the project to improve boards.ie - i can't speak for how open-source that would be

I'm sure I'd love to help out.:) But exams first PHP later (I have to keep telling myself that).

Maybe I should have used a different word other that "open-source" when talking about Boards.ie. Perhaps "co-operative" would be a better word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

as a web designer/developer, my services are available in any way I can help...

I'd be happy to be a part of anything that improves the experience that boards.ie provides its users.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Sisob...

What's the point in an open-source board when we have a programming board?

Advertisement