Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a FZ tribute band touring???

Options
  • 10-05-2002 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

I heard from a drunkin, lazy, don't know her arts, unreliable, source that there is a Frank Zappa tribute band coming to the olympia, anyone know if this is fact?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Sure the Mothers changed members so often how could they settle on a line-up for a tribute band. I shudder at the thought in any case. I mean doing a once-off cover is bad but occasionally excusable, touring in the shape of a tribute band is lazy and corny but sometimes has its place (Anyone else know the Shieling Hotel in Raheny??! :p ) but touring in the shape of a tribute to the Mothers of Invention is just a bloddy awful idea altogether! I mean, who in the hell is gonna take on Steve Vai's guitar lines. Who? I'm vehhhry curious to know......As for somone attempting to emulate Frank himself.....well I ask ya.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

For start Steve Via was never in the mothers of invention, he wasn't even born when they started. And as for pass members touring as The GrandMothers they claim the music was as much theirs as it was FZ. They are many FZ tribute bands such as project object. I've seen the Video Zappa's Universe which is a tribute show for zappa and even though it's not the same it's quiet good.

You just have a squizz at one or two of their inlay cards( I can't remember which albums, which is particularly unfortunate in the case of Frank Zappa. Try Absolutely Free) and you'll see Steve Vai's name next to "Impossible Guitar Parts!"

And anyway. chill winston yeah? I was having a jibe at tribute bands in general inanyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Hmmm, ok. Well I noticed in all the too-n-froing that nobody had bothered to answer the initial question. I don't know about the Olympia but there is a FZ trib band playing Whelans next Thursday so that may be what you heard about.

Thank you pigman, do you happen to know who they are?

Roxy, Steve Via was in short tousers when "Absolutely free" came out in 1967. He didn't fearture in a zappa ablum till 1981 on "tinseltown rebellion". Considering the Mothers of invention disbanded in 1971 could you please tell me how Steve Via was a member? Via was a member of Zappas band but not The Mothers, and if you know your Zappa you'll know it's two totally differnet things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Muffin Men (Music of Frank Zappa featuring Jimmy Carl Black)

I wonder are they the same muffin men who lived on drury lane? :)

Thanks pigman

check out http://www.muffinmen.co.uk/

Okay, firstly I really don't like to be petty but it's Vai, not Via! Don't you start mixing up your facts as well or ther'll be mayhem!

Secondly, I never claimed to be a Mothers or FZ know-it-all. I'm not. I just think that he was a great musician and performer. Refreshing. Legendary.

The point I was making was about tribute bands anyway. I was simply saying that it terms of recreating the music of another, anyone trying to recreate Zappa would, in my opinion, have their work cut out for them.

I was wrong about Absolutely Free. I said I couldn't remember. You won. Shame on me. You said it was a FZ tribute band, and the fact remains that Steve Vai did in fact play with him so why was I so wrong in bringing him up? I'm sure you'll have an answer....

And finally, please don't be so uptight about the issue. I've come across people* before who are so into a band that their blood pressure rises and their antennae shoot up complete with corrosive laser beams when anyone starts talking about them. They're usually just waiting for someone to set a foot wrong so they can hop and display their impressive knowledge (having such a knowledge is great but the attitude is sometimes worth reviewing)

*You are not necessarily one of these people! I don't know you. It was just a social observation. You're probably a very sound bloke and we probably could get on very well. Hey, you like good music for a start!

Maybe you're in a FZ tribute band! If that's the case then I understand your anger but if you're not, I'm afraid I can't fully see your reasoning.

You'll probably tell me that I shouldn't have made statements when I didn't have the facts. Well, hell, shoot me:) We all get it wrong.

Let's be cool. Frank would've wanted that. I'd imagine. ;)

chill winston yeah?

I wasn't have ago at you or your lack of knowlege concerning FZ. Just thought for your sake you should have the right facts. I didn't want you growing up thinking Steve Vai was a memeber of the legenry Mothers of Invention. When i like a band i want all the facts, and you seem to like zappa.

And as for a tribute band you're right they would have their work cut out for them. But in this place in time where FZ is still largely unknown it's great to have someone touring with FZ music reaching new audiances.

And it's Steve Via when you're dislyexic

really i wasn't having a go. Sorry if you thought otherwise.

Advertisement