Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

life

Options
  • 10-05-2002 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever felt so board and just sick of everything around them, that everything you did just felt like hitting a brick wall. Nothing around seems to matter or inspire you.... everything just feels like crap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

i give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Well, I thought I'd make some reference to my bad luck with exams and all but then I saw francie brady's entry. Don't think I can compete with that.

**** that's harsh man. But at least you can see that it could be worse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

well I know what you mean about going thru a bad patch, it happened to me a few years back.. it really seemed like I had hit rock bottom, but things started to get even worse.. i must have started drilling.... :D

I wont go into details, dont wanna bore you all.. anyway, even though I thought things were gonna stay like that for good, they started to improve.. small things at first, but the gradually got bigger.. however it took me a while to snap outta my depressed state and notice things getting better around me..

A positive attitude is a must when things look that bad.. believe me, its easy to say, but is a necessity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Anyone ever felt so board and just sick of everything around them, that everything you did just felt like hitting a brick wall. Nothing around seems to matter or inspire you.... everything just feels like crap.
    Yeah, I get that a lot ... sometimes I feel numb to the world, and nothing matters.
    But that's depression for you! :D
    I'm probably not in a great position to give advise, but talking things over with someone close usualy helps... chill out, be good to yourself, and try'n see the funny side of things.
    And don't forget about the many psychologists out there, always worth a visit if it's getting to you that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pone

Aye. Getting up is ****ing tough.

One can see as many shrinks as one thinks is neccessary. But only a person can look at their situation and decide what they are going to do. Pills and shrinks can make that job a little easier.

That is exactly what the cure is in the end. Getting up. Escaping an introverted perspective which can be easily brought on by a string of painful incidents which are completely outside anybodys control.

There is always something worth fighting for though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The problem with falling into a rut is that the longer you stay there the deeper it gets. Why? Because we begin to get self-indulgent and wallow in our own self-pity.

Hitting rock bottom may be due to no fault of our own, but staying there invariably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm there at the moment, i just dream of shooting (a) politicans (b) the people who owe me money.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

theres the time when your friends hate you because your intolerable due to colege stress , and then your boyfriend finds somebody better (aparently )i loved that line alright .then you end up crying yourself to sleep and asking yourself , is there any point in getting up ?i dont have an answer to that yet , although if im here i must be doing something right .

I find my life is going where atm, I have a brillant girlfriend good friends, yet I find it extremely hard to talk to anyone new. I just feel like this is it. Anything that I've tried/wanted to do to have something worthwhile usually falls on its face. I can't focus on my course its stopped having any interest to me. Thanks for your replies they have made me think.

|And don't forget about the many psychologists out there, always worth a visit if it's getting to you that much.|

Is this free anywhere?

(this a different person btw)

• Advertisement

Is this free anywhere?
    Probably yeah...
    Your best starting point is your local GP, they'll be well informed on the whole issue and be able to guide you in the right direction.

i give up

Originally posted by francie brady
    I heard it's free but theres a waiting list, and a long one at that.
    Well even if you're waiting for a few weeks/months... how long do people endure depression for before they seek help anyway... months, years?
    IMO a wating list is no reason to put off going to one if you feel it'd help.
    Although in the case of sudden grief due to a death, I find the whole concept of a waiting list pretty disgusting.
    Maybe the next government will sort out the waiting list problems hm? ;)

rock bottom can be alot of fun though, it can also get you into a lot of trouble, i had a lot of trouble in the last 3 years of secondary school and went through a MASSIVE destructive phase, i torched 2 houses that were being constructed, i have no idea why.

i look back on that with regret but i have to say 3 years of utter depression is horrible.

i give up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

only the boring get bored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Victor
    I'm there at the moment, i just dream of shooting (a) politicans (b) the people who owe me money.

This is worrying when posted by someone with a signature "MG-42 Assault Trooper"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

There are a myriad of things to be uninterested in, there are a million and some reasons - to be hated, there are a zillion thoughts in the world every day - to be ignored, there is an infinite supply of everything in the universe - to be dismissed, there is a logarithmically increasing fount of knowledge - to not give a fart about, there are beautiful beautiful feelings on this planet that it is great to shrug off and diss, and there are microscopic to gargantuan places spiritually or physically wondrous to visit but - by crikey you better not go there - they may just make you feel good.

...i was depressed. I thought having a job would make it better. But i soon realised that it was cos of a women. Why do we allow ourselves to get depressed over women.

If you mean that you think getting a woman would make you feel better, you're wrong, it won't, it'll make it all worse, you'll slippery down that spiral double time

If you mean that it was all because of a woman, well you could be right ;) (and we let ourselves get depressed over women coz we lahve it )

(Oh and to post as Unregistered you *Log out* and post in the personal issues board like normal)

Originally posted by Felix Randel
    you're nothing more than an attention whore, "aw i'm depressed" "the world hates me" blah blah blah pitty me. grow up :rolleyes:
    He has a point francie. Not that we, who respond to your wails of self-pity, help all that much by encouraging and pandering to it.

The curious reality is you’re actually quite happy in your own way; you have made yourself the tragic hero of your own Greek drama.

In short, if you were not unhappy, you would be miserable.

• Advertisement

i give up

First of all i'm not a moany moany person.
    Let's call a spade a spade, francie, on this board you are.
    I'm not looking for help here. Take my advice ppl the internet is the last place you go to for help.
    No one is accusing you of looking for help here. Only attention.

i give up. theres loads of ppl on this board go on pick on one of them rather then me.

The Personal Issues board is for Personal Issues

i give up. theres loads of ppl on this board go on pick on one of them rather then me.
    It's not my intention to pick on you francie. I honestly bare you no ill will or malice. But if you put your problems in the public domain (regardless of why), you have to expect opinions that may well not sit confortably with you.
    Originally posted by Gordon
    The Personal Issues board is for Personal Issues
    I agree - but not all advice is saccharine.

... exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭ciderandhavoc

Originally posted by Unregistered

I get like that sometimes, for me I think its routine (getting bored with doing the same stuff all the time).

I know if people have exams and all it can be damn annoying, but really if you look at it from a perspective of YOU, then it shouldn't be so bad, you only work for yourself, if you don't want to work, then don't, but be prepared for the ramifications of your actions.

Anyways, back to the main point I was going to make. A change is sometimes as good as a holiday, so do something different, get up one day get on a bus and go somewhere for a day, just by yourself (Bray and Howth have been popular destinations [I travel from celbridge], and I do enjoy walking along the wall of Dun Laoghaire Harbour (particularly when the HSS is there). That normally refreshes me (along with a big cup of joe.). I've also gotten on trains and gone to Galway for a day just to be away from people I know, not that its them i need to get away from, its me, but thats not possible, so I'm content with getting away from 'the me' thats at home and in my normal surrounding and situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Give francie a break. It isn't easy getting help, the last thing you want then is people bitching at you over the way you feel. You just end up making thing worse then.

Francie all I can advise is that you talk to your GP, and that's no joke. It may be good to talk to people about this, or see what he/she advises. If you have a good (or normal!) GP he/she will be very good in helping with this. If you've had bad experiences with your GP, find another. You need to talk to someone that isn't going to brush over your feelings and pretend it's all hunky dory. You don't need a woman, you need to be happy within yourself first. Whatever that takes. Talking to a friend, talking in groups, talking to a therapist, or taking medication (can be mild).

ciderandhavoc is also right. Getting away from things is good sometimes. Just for a short break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭CHRISTYG

I was in an awful rut last year-suicidal, depressed, sent an EVIL E-mail to Lisburn City Council (Lisburn is a newly-created city just outside Belfast) which by rights,should have led me to spend the whole of 2002-and beyond- in jail! However, all that dramatically changed in January this year, when I found that a girl that I've secretly loved for 5 years loved me as well. We're getting engaged later this year-CAN'T WAIT!!!!! :D So my bad times are OVER!!!

• Advertisement

That's just great news ChristyG congratulations. It's amazing how life can turn around in a split second when you least expect it, and when you think you least deserve it.

:)

Advertisement