Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth while

• 10-05-2002 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

Is there any benifit from making a Ghost image from your hdd ,formatting and then reinstalling the image.

the reason I ask is that this box seems to be running a little chunkey lately and I was thinking of formatting,

Would a better option be to save all my important files eg. address book, favorites, etc..and if so what should I save

TIA

Macker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

IF you ghost your drive and restore it will basically be in the exact same config as its in now, ie. if your registry is full of the crap that normally builds up over time then it will still be there after the restore.

I would recommend saving your imporatant files and doing a format and fresh install

download the latest drivers etc. too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There is a benefit, but only if the image you make is of a nice sleek installation to begin with. Otherwise you'll just be putting yourself in the same situation you're now in. All you save is time really (not that that's unimportant)

Recommend that you format and reinstall if you're in the mood
    (then after reinstalling doing a ghost image if you're also in the mood for that)

When I do it I save:
    • All my work files (obviously:D)
    • Media player data database (after entering all the CD track names, don't feel like doing it again)
    • Any customised templates for Office programs
    • Profile for Dragon Dictate
    • ICQ data files
    • IE favourites and so on

Advertisement