Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up servlets environment...

Options
  • 11-05-2002 3:49pm

Sorry if this has come up before, but it's something I'd like to get cleared up. Cheers.

I tried starting with servlets in Java, and when I put in the line,

import javax.servlet.*;

it kicked up an error, telling me that there was no such package.

so does that mean that i need another extension to the SDK, like download a specific java servlet development environment or is there just something wrong in the line?

Any help would be great, cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Download the servlet packages from here

cheers for the links.

Do I download the Tomcat implementation?
    Is this the same or different from the JSWDK?

Just want to make sure I get the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

You are better off downloading the latest tomcat 4.1 release from here. This contains both the latest servlet implementations and library plus you can test your servlets with it too. It also contains a JSP engine which is the next step up from servlets.

Cheers, i'll download that and see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Right,

The reason why it won't compile and throws errors is because you probably don't have the Servlet API visible on your current CLASSPATH. You will need to get your hands on a file called Servlet.jar, and just point your CLASSPATH to that. The next time you try and javac, everything will go according to plan :)

Don't get mixed up with Tomcat/Servlet enabled HTTP Servers, and the Servlet API. They are two different thigns. For now you just want the API, worry about where you are going to deploy them to for testing after that.

BTW, Lynchie's first "here" link: http://java.sun.com/products/servlet/download.html will get you that!.

HTH ;)

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement