Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Square and Nintendo!

Options
  • 11-05-2002 4:14pm

Anyone see the venture between Square and Nintendo? :eek:

I don't want to start a thread on "Nintendo the Best vs. Everything Else" but apparently they're back in business together! Great, great news, considering Square, in their days of Nintendo supremecy, produced, quite literally, a collection of the finest RPG's ever to grace a console, including Secret Of Mana, Chrono Trigger and early Final Fantasies. :D:D

I couldn't believe when Square stopped developing for Nintendo, as all their quality adventure games went to the PlayStation, which did wonders for PlayStation's market share. Now, as they say, the ball's in the other court, it seems that Square are going back to Nintendo, back to developing for them.

Nice to see them back, it'll be interesting for the GameCube.
    :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pone

Personally, I am not too interested in the GC but it will be really interesting to see what Square can make of her engine, considering the fantastic job they did (visually) on FF9 on PS.

Anyone have any idea why the went back?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They were always very open about their desire to program for the GBA, and I guess the fact that Nintendo is partly funding their GC developments has something to do with why they came back.

It's great to see them coming back together finally.

I read on that, although Square will be developing for the GC (lot of rumours flying apparently), they will still be supporting Sony, cause apparently Sony helped them out of financial difficulty and own 18% of Square, so they can't really not support the PS2.

Makes you wonder though about the continuance of console-exclusive titles...I mean, Soul Calibur 2 is coming to GameCube, whereas Namco games of that sort were always dedicated to the PlayStation.

Another PS2 game, Metal gear solid (future versions) will be on the XBox and PC too, so the playstation 2 is losing its exclusive titles.

Whatever the outcome of various well known titles traversing the different gaming platforms, the consumers can only benefit. Interesting to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Hurrah! Nintendo's best vs. Everyone Else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Lets just hope they arent piece meal offerings such as the online ff, which is coming to other formats anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement