Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding up my computer

• 19-06-2001 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

My computer is

AMD-K6 500mhz

and I'm wondering how could I increase the speed of it?
    Over-clocking is one way I know, but it is a bit of a mistery to me?
    Is there any other way?
    Is there web sites that could help me?

(Insert quote here)

El Marco

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

first of all is it a K6-2 or a K6-3?
    then theres the different blends.. K6-X+ etc.. although these might have been limited to laptop or mobile computing.. i honestly dont too know much about the K6 to comment further.

However there are plenty of sites dealing with K6 overclocking:
    (and once again good oul aceshardware has it all)

K6-2 overclocking: http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=37
    K6-3 overclocking: http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=108
    K6-2+ (increasing performance + overclocking): http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=15000166
    K6-3+ (review + some overclocking): http://www.aceshardware.com/Spades/read.php?article_id=25000221

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You won't be able to overclock the k6 much and it's not that good a cpu to begin with.
    Suggestion: get rid of the k6 & mobo and get yourself either a p3/p4/duron/athlon/thunderbird/ or even a celeron2. A mid range cpu and a decent mobo is not that expensive and you can probably pick up second hand bx mobos and p3/celeron2s quite cheap.

And of course, cpu speed is not the only thing that makes a computer fast. You'd probably want to replace those old pc66 ram with pc133 cas2 sdram. Get a fast harddrive, a new graphics card etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Absolutley.
    Dumb that Chip now!
    i knew a guy with a K6-2 and he was famed for cooking diners and smelting iron on his k6-2....not OC'n material at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

The motherboard will be holding you back, even if you overclocked the cpu, unless its a k6-3 with on-die l2 cache. So its really not worth it, add in the fact that the k6 runs quite hot, and at most will make 600mhz if its a k6-3, perhaps 550 if its a k6-2.

So in summary, if you want a fast system, dump it, upgrade it, or keep it as a second system for messing about with operating systems on.

Chernobyl, I didn't know you could smelt iron on it, fair dues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

K6-2's only went to 550 I believe. There ok for running small apps and dos based things/linux and unix as well. but for anything more they are not very good at all.
    if you want to O/C it to 550 then you will run into problems. They are not the most stable of chips. When I had my k6-2 350@400, I would need to clock it back down if I went to LANs. Not because of overheating, but because it couldn't handle such long stints of 100% loads. (but only when overclocked)

As it was said above, you should try to upgrade it, but keep the k6-2 and as gerry said use it to learn stuff, like O/S'sprogramingeven just to run a lan server of sorts.

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

had a talk with ma dad (pays for my comp stuff), and he's already been lookin for new mothers boards n stuff. So i dont need to do anything with my comp.
    Thanx for ur help neways biggrin.gif

(Insert quote here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

cheapest and fastest way to speed up your pc is to add memory. if the option of overclocking seems daunting or just to much bother (as in my case) just add another 128mg ram and you will notice a marked increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Adding more ram only helps if you don't have enough ram to begin with or your harddisk is old and slow and it takes ages to access the cache/page/vm file. You shouldn't advertise "just dump in more ram" as a miracle cure for speed deficiency.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    of course, if you are changing your system board and your processor, you may as well go the whole hog, because you will still be using the same old drives, cards etc, and the improvment, while it will be substancial, will not be that much...

</font>

anyone ever tell you about clauses, sub-clauses and sentance syntax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

well, I have a p233 at home with a crappy 700 meg drive. Now it has 128 megs of ram, but the hard drive makes it a very slow machine. Windows still spends a lot of time reading the drive, and it's very slow. Granted, its a fair bit worse with 32 megs, but still unuseable with 128.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

anyone ever tell you about clauses, sub-clauses and sentance syntax?</font>

<pedantic mode>
    You mean sentEnce syntax? ;)
    </pedantic mode>

-Ross

[This message has been edited by beaver (edited 20-06-2001).]

indeed i do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

WWM, substantial is closely related to the polar opposite of "not much" smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chubby:
    Adding more ram only helps if you don't have enough ram to begin with or your harddisk is old and slow and it takes ages to access the cache/page/vm file. You shouldn't advertise "just dump in more ram" as a miracle cure for speed deficiency.

</font>

well, to be honest, even if you have a really fast hard drive and ata100 controllers etc, ram is still faster by 1000 times.
    and adding more ram as oppose to upgrading is what i meant. not obvious from my post true, but i did mean it smile.gif
    i used to run a pII 400 with 128mg of ram. the 2 things that speeded everything up were another 128 mg of ram and a faster graphics card. not much point in overclocking or upgrading. far too much hassle and too expensive when you compare to other easier options. of course, if you are changing your system board and your processor, you may as well go the whole hog, because you will still be using the same old drives, cards etc, and the improvment, while it will be substancial, will not be that much...
    make sense?
    no, didnt think so.
    i'll get me coat..

One Of your Imps Does A Good Impersonation Of You
    He Can Even Do The Ears.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

it will be substancial, will not be that much...
    make sense?
    </font>
    THAT didn't. smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:
    WWM, substantial is closely related to the polar opposite of "not much" smile.gif</font>

in comparison, in comparison my friend.

yes it will be speeded up, but in comparison, not by much if you do other things, in other words there are things you can do that will speed it up more-so.
    are you trying to annoy me, or are you just not smart enough to figure life out yourself?
    try turning of your pc every now and then and going out and having some fun.
    get a girlfriend.
    go to the pub
    read a book
    do a crossword
    all these things will make you a better person. trying to argue semantics with me will not because quiet frankly, i dont really care. although it bothers me when someone has learned how to use the internet, but still has to be hand held around a discussion board
    mind you, if you want to meet up for a pint, id happily tell you many of my amazing anicdotes about the english language and swiss cheese collections of the world

Advertisement