Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do I beat this minging firewall

• 18-06-2001 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭

someone smart in my IT dept has firewalled out www.boards.ie.
    it comes up ACCESS DENIED in browser.
    is there any way i can access boards from a mirror or anyone have any smart ideas to get around it?
    I use an anonymiser webpage at the moment but thats painfully slow.
    also tried using the IP instead of the domain to no avail.
    Help!
    Need a fix of boards!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Try something like http://www.http-tunnel.com

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

thanks, tried it
    no joy - they must have a good firewall - it just spat gibberish back at me.
    isn't there something that will change the port http uses or sommat so it cant be stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

easy.. go ask someone in the IT dept. to take it out of the firewalls denied list.
    say its s great information source for fixing problems.. and its the quickest way to find a solution blah blah blah

you don't know the guys in my IT dept very well do you... biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You sure it's your IT department? It's possible boards.ie banned your work place if there was anyone acting the muppet there. It's happend before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

solution :- dont browse the boards during work.
    Theres no way to beat the wall, maybe a peace offering for the IT guys.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

you could try....

http://www.anonymiser.com/

see if they let you get to that site. It will load boards, change all the links and everything so thats its pointing through to their website enabling you to access banned sites.

I think smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well if you have a proxy or anything like that it can be configured to ban access to certain addresses or addresses with keywords in them (smartfilter does this).

not much use really but you should approach your IT ppl, never know they might be in an accomodating mood smile.gif

**** it I think i'll just ask them.
    there was a certain someone in the same wrokplace as me a while back doing some stupid **** (I'm sure some of you remember)
    thats what got the boards blocked.
    maybe they'll lighten up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I suppose if you were feeling energetic, you could write a script that you enter the url and it goes and fetches it for you and displays it. then run the script on an external website. Would be very easy to do.. just awkward to keep have to enter the url you want to go to. Could write it to process the web page actually and when it encounters a url, swaps the url with the url of your script and passes the original url as a arg.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

Try www.safeweb.com, if they haven't blocked it.

Xeno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

LOL This is what I got when I tried to load Safeweb at work.

Illegal Characters in Request
    The firewall refused to process and retrieve the URL you requested because of a protocol violation:
    Characters not allowed in a hostname were found in the requested URL

The URL that was seen by the firewall was:
    http://www.safeweb.com,/

This kind of protocol violation is denied in order to protect web servers from attacks that include control and other non-printable characters. It is also denied to ensure that only HTTP traffic is passed by the HTTP proxy, thus ensuring the integrity of your site's security policy.

If you believe that this request should have been allowed, contact the web site administrator and request that their application be modified to be HTTP compliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Xenophobic

My fault try www.safeweb.com with NO ","

the IT depts reply was to send me a link to this thread, which I found quite funny but it doesn't look like they're going to get rid of it, you people must be a bad influence or something ;P

thanks for the link
    safeweb is excellent.
    no delays or popups.
    great stuff mate.

Advertisement