Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal question

Options
  • 11-05-2002 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

if a person that was working for me stole from me ( person is a non eu citican ) he skipped country b4 offical charges could be brought to him or he could attend a court case . what happens in this case dose he get away with it or can i the charge still be given even tho he is no longer in the country

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

You can file charges with the gardai and then they will prepare a file for the DPP.

At this point the DPP will examine the weight of evidence or plea (if in custody) and decide to proceed or not with the charge. One of the factors they will consider is whether the indivdual is still within this jurisdiction or not and depending on the extent of the larceny (i.e Grand or petty theft) they may proceed with the charge. BUT, that doesn't mean much because it may only be tried if the person attempts to re-enter Ireland again.

Other than that he could be extradited but that is only for specific crimes and would only happen save exceptional circumstances.

Overall, if this person has skipped town, you have very little chance of "justice":) (in the conventional sense anyway;))

Advertisement