Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo for slot1

• 17-06-2001 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

I ahve a coppermine 100MhzFSB P3 800 in a slot1 config.
    Can I get a 133Mhz or DDR board for it for cheap? will my 100Mhz Ram keep up with the 133 RAM? or should i jsut get a second case and build a secnd system in a years time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i though coppermines had a standard FSB of 133MHZ
    i would not run the ram that fast unless its Crucial or Kingston.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 17-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well there are no ddr slot1 boards for a start. I'm not sure exactly what you want to do here, if you run your chip on a 133mhz board, which will cost you around £100 btw, the chip will be running at 8 * 133 which is 1066. Your chip might handle this, it might not, depends on how new the chip is and how much luck you have. You can't change the 8 multiplier, so its a bit of a gamble.

As for the ram, well all the ram on the board has to run at the same speed. So your 100mhz ram will have to run at 133mhz, which is actually fairly likely, if it is decent quality at all. However, some boards might be unstable with different makes and types of ram mixed. If your pc100 ram can't handle 133mhz, it's possible on i815 chipset boards to run the ram at 100, while the fsb is 133. Bear in mind, that once again, all the ram would be running at 100 then, slowing your system down.

So in summary if your chip doesn't work at 1066, buying a new board will have been a waste of time. Of course you could run the board at a speed in between 100 and 133, but then you will be running your components at awkward speeds, and not really getting enough performance boost to justify the expense of the new board. Either way, if you run above 100 bus, you will be overclocking the chip.

Its possible also, on via chipset based boards, to run the fsb at 100, and the ram at 133. This would give a slight performance boost, while keeping your chip at 800. To be honest though, it won't be any faster than your existing setup, which probably uses a bx based motherboard.

<edit> Also, coppermines come in both 100mhz and 133mhz flavours, I have a 100mhz one myself.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 17-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Would i be better so just slumming it for a bit and gettigna new system in 6-months toa years time so? Maybe get a bit of PC100 Ram now....Is stone still doing the runs to the UK? How muh would a decent SCSI card cost? It doesn't have to be RAID. I'm no onger interested in IDE drives. They're too damn slow. Ae Firewire drives any good? or are tehy just handy for external ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'd wait a year, I mean an 800, its not that slow now tbh, if its games your worried about (i mean what else could it be) spend your money on a new graphics card in a few months or better quality ram and overclock it.

It really does worry me that people can see their 800Mhz system as being slow, that seems to be to be the result of Intel and AMDs mhz battle and feeling inadequate when put next to a 1.2Ghz tbird smile.gif

I mean i fully expect to be still using by 600E in 18 months with maybe a gts thrown in on the cheap in a while, but maybe thats cos I'm just too broke and have better things to spend money on smile.gif

I fully expect to be using my 600e in 18 months time also, since it runs fine at 960-1000 mhz smile.gif I'm waiting till I can afford a 256 meg dimm of crucial dimm before I can run it reliably at 1000.
    It's a bit wierd ok, that you find an 800 slow, and I would concentrate on overclocking it now, and waiting for a few months for a worthwhile upgrade.

• Advertisement

Yeah, its just that my multiplier is topped at 8x, on a 100Mhz FSB => 800Mhz.
    I have a EPROM flash, but its only slightly newer then my old one, and I hate mucking about with something sooo damn critical. I *think* my mobo has a backup copy of the BIOS it shipped with...not too sure.
    its a AOPEN AX6BC
    I don't know what Brand my RAM is, I think its CAS2 though smile.gif
    I tried running the FSB with some dod*** number, 119Mhz/37PCI I think, but I honestly canm't say.
    I also have problems with cooling then
    My system is allready noisy enough. Anyone have any reccomendations for an quiet & efficient Slot1 fan?
    One of the main reasons for my wantinf a new mobo is not for faster CPU, but for AGP4x and fastwries cos when i do get that cheap Gf2 Ultra opr even GF3 I'd like to have it running at top whack. It's a bloody BX chip, and when I got it I thought 'Great, AGP4x, full bells and whistles, mighty'. Damn.
    I know the BX is a good chip and all, but its not great anymore. wink.gif

Anyways, I have the guts fo a fridge waiting outback, I intend spending a bit of tme during the summer rigging it to my poxy little runt of a P100 and pushing it to 150.
    If I manage to do it i'll give ye a shout smile.gif

hrm, careful now with the "bloody bx" lark. Seems you have bought all the hype. Stick with your motherboard, and overclock the chip. The bx chipset is old, but its still the fastest intel chipset for the p3. Agp 4x and fast writes will not speed your machine up, in fact if you overclock a bx board, you will get better agp performance, because the agp bus will be running faster than 66mhz.

The bx has better performance than the i810, i815, i820, i840, via 694x, and the new via ddr chipset, especially in games. It's also the most stable and compatible p3 chipset. Since it seems you need to do a bit of reading up, and you might not take my word for it, heres some articles you should read, and heres some of the blurb, from www.tomshardware.com

"It is fast, realiable and overclockable: The BX chipset is still the undisputed state-of-the-art chipset for performance freaks. Even though being more than two years old, it runs stable at FSB speeds far beyond 133 MHz and even outperforms Intel's latest high end chipsets. We took a close look at 10 different products."

heres a sample of the performance of the bx:

image019.gif

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q3/000714/index.html

and another good article..

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q1/000308/index.html

and another

http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/00q3/000818/index.html

sorry to seem patronising, but I can't stand for bull****.

Sound, I actually didn't know the BX was such a good chip....
    I knew the 810 was just a Celeron and that the 820 was fairly bugged to hell (last time I heard) but I also forgot the URL for Tom's hardware Guide... wink.gif
    I know I've spouted bull before (but not for while - till now ) but thought I'd learnt my lesson smile.gif

I'll have to get a bit of 133 ram and a new big fan before i start overclocking this thing though smile.gif
    Also on a slightly different note, where can i get thermal epoxy resin, as in forma place like Woodies?

john

Advertisement