Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internet via satellite access

• 18-06-2001 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭

does anyone use satellite for internet access, and what are the ups and downs with it. Is it a viable stopgap till we get adsl, in the near or distant future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

adsl = setember and net via da sat has been done before and it ended in peeps ego on how much they know about "low orbiting rubbish"

go back a month on the posts and u will find it if u can go back that far

oh Suit you sir,the pretty lady sir,would you sir,oh,suit you sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">"low orbiting rubbish"

[/B]</font>

What are you on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

check out the bulletin board at
    http://www.starspeeder.co.uk

new accounts are on hold at the mo' while they sort out a few difficulties.

Satellite is for downloaders only.
    be it warez or personally it was F1/Cart races (until the damn site went bust).
    Be under no illusions man, Satellite will not let you browse faster or play multiplyer games.No matter what the Satellite provider promises you will only download at speed.

i mean low orbiting satelites,thus the name satelite internet chern?

• Advertisement

whats rubbish about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

on the www.europeonline.com they claim to provide card + 12 mounths subscription for special of 150 euros + postage. this seems an interesting deal but has anyone used this type of package??????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Barra seems very Joe22'ish doesn't he?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishguy:
    chernobyl has that he says he gets 4mbs d/l</font>

"chernobyl has that he says"..... smile.gif..u drunk?

oh plz give me a break i mean when this post was last done it went out into world war 3 into how much ppl knew about satellite internet and if u go back to it it will implore my point,,all ppl were doing was explining in tech terms about how the signal was being received ect,and low orbiting "rubbish" in my terms being a satellite,i just got fairly sick of ppl's differnat comments that all they were doing was trying to raise there ego on how much they knew on the specific subject
    thats my comment and i am entitled to it and id like if you didnt rip it to shreds into snide comments even though you already knew what i was talking about
    ta
    and good night

ps.im not in any way related or know joe90

• Advertisement

I dont know why you have such an attitude, but you are registered for june 2001 and the last time this was dicussed in lenght was why i registered in April 2001.
    Not suggesting anything but asking who were you in april that you know what was said last time?

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 19-06-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Skeptic1

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Barra:
    oh plz give me a break i mean when this post was last done it went out into world war 3 into how much ppl knew about satellite internet and if u go back to it it will implore my point,,all ppl were doing was explining in tech terms about how the signal was being received ect,and low orbiting "rubbish" in my terms being a satellite,i just got fairly sick of ppl's differnat comments that all they were doing was trying to raise there ego on how much they knew on the specific subject
    </font>
    It was relevant because it was to do with the coverage area and latency issues of high vs. low orbit satelites. Sorry if it went above your head (no pun intended).
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    thats my comment and i am entitled to it and id like if you didnt rip it to shreds into snide comments even though you already knew what i was talking about
    ta
    and good night
    </font>
    You're welcome. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

since you need a normal modme and dial up connection to use it, theres no real point,
    i was going to get it then esat cut me off so there was no point

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    since you need a normal modme and dial up connection to use it, theres no real point,
    i was going to get it then esat cut me off so there was no point
    </font>

Any current EON users want to tackle this one?, actually dont, keep it a secret.
    smile.gif

i know i know, off line downloading, Right?
    i was lead to understand that was months away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

chernobyl has that he says he gets 4mbs d/l

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

OMFG Devore please 12 click this idiot Barra. For someone with 7 posts registered in June it amazes me how he claims to know so much about an old thread, either it's some muppet whos been lurking for the past God knows how long, or it's Joe22, or probably Joe22's 9 yeah old brother more like.

no i think the guy is a newbie, other wise he wouldnt be so sure of adsl in september.

not saying it wont but an older member would have seen this type of things before,
    LLU by january, then by august now by next january, flate rate internet afew years back, ect.. have all hardened members against getting hopes up

I asked the question for help, still confused, about satellite and the witch hunt.
    could someone who has actually used this method of internet please reply, and not those who have a bee in their bonnet

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

A bit of a consensus was starting to develop towards the end of this thread in relation to the idenity of joe22:

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum24/HTML/000145-2.html

And they're both on this thread, mind games? confused.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blade:
    OMFG Devore please 12 click this idiot Barra. For someone with 7 posts registered in June it amazes me how he claims to know so much about an old thread, either it's some muppet whos been lurking for the past God knows how long, or it's Joe22, or probably Joe22's 9 yeah old brother more like.</font>

• Advertisement

yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

Since I've already made an unhelpful contribution I may as well make a helpful one

This is the conversation in April:

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/001979.html

Going by this the man you want to talk to is Chernobyl, e-mail from profile is darren@europeonline.com, so drop him a line, you may want to be more specific with your questions

People tend to get bored of the same topics coming up again and again which might explain the lack of detailed responses to your query

Koopa/Kali/Gerry : Shouldn't this be moved to Nets/Comms?

thanks for your help
    being new to this I'm going to boar everyone with silly questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭[fist]Snowball

In the states there is a company that give you satilite access through a micro-wave dish. $40 a month and u have access over the entire USA. THere is restrictions about ppl living above you and u cant be below a cretan level of ground and stuff like that but u get a T3 (aperantly).

Hope it comes over here smile.gif

Snowball.

Buses are sociable vehicals, thats why they come in twoes and threes :D

The companies are starband/directPC.
    Using the bidirectional dish, eliminates the phone line.
    Restrictions for use are there because the dish has a powerful microwave tranmitter on it.
    similar to this. sit.jpg
    pings are roughly double one way satellite.
    the service is availablein europe but at a cost of bandwidth used although kick ass speed is available (like 2Mbit/sec up and 38Mbit/sec down).
    Astra BBI

(ps)i think this is a cool as ....
    oh, and Starband already have a european division with intentions of bringing the service here.

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 21-06-2001).]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement