Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best console of alll time .

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I voted for the Playstation as it's the one I've owned the longest and played the most. But I had some good times on a friends SNES. Very addictive so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

PS1 gets my vote.

Great synopsis there quigs snr! PS1 was an absolute milestone in gaming. It took common game genres and transformed them into the games we dreamed of when we were messing about on our ZX-Spectrums

Racing - Ridge Racer, GT, Colin McRae.....
    Platforms/Mystery - Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, FF7/8
    Beat 'em ups - Tekken and all those other clones
    Footie sims - All the FIFA's

Plus it was the first console where, imo, genres were successfully merged in Wipeout, Metal Gear Solid, Cool Boarders.

Oh all those drunken nights!!

N64 comes in second for giving me Goldeneye, Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Aye Seamus, I remember the 8-Bit days like they were yesterday. Looking at a box with 4 smaller boxes sticking out of it zooming through bland, monochrome backgrounds, thinking this is a ferrarri I am driving through the countryside.

You needed imagination back then.

I'll never forget when my brother got his PSX in 96 and Ridge Racer (which I berated him for, calling him a fool for not buying the Saturn. How wrong was I, I guess I couldn't see the sega/nintendo thing ending). I could scarcely believe my eyes. Of course it looks pants now, although the dynamics remain the same, only the graphics have changed.

I tell you looking back I can almost understand why my mother thought I was mad spending time playing these old 8bit games. That is until I bought her a PC for christmas this year and since then she hasn't stopped playing tetris (which she used to get on to me for playing in 1990). The worm has truly turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Voted N64 because Zelda and Goldeneye kept me going for awhole year

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

PS2, because of it's own games, and the ability to play PSX games too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by seamus
    PS1 gets my vote.
    PS1 was an absolute milestone in gaming.
    Platforms/Mystery - Tomb Raider
    Originally a sega saturn game tbh.

Footie sims - All the FIFA's
    Your subsequent opinions are now irrelevant.
    Plus it was the first console where, imo, genres were successfully merged in Wipeout, Cool Boarders.
    Coolboarders mixed the snowboarding genre with... snowboarding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Culchie Boy

SNES was classy. Anybody ever play zelda a link to the past great game never could win it out though. it had very good graphics for its time. Play N64 once thought it was the biggest heap of junk ever. Playstation 1 is good obviously better than SNES vut i voted for SNES because it was easier to play games were Cheaper and really enjoyed playing it. Like a new game for a PS2 cost around the as the SNES cost to but it new.

SNES was excellent .

Regards Culchie Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ACE OwNz J0oO!!

did ne1 ever play the game for the nes called FIREHAWK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

christ what a question. for me its only 2 choices snes or playstation. its like choosing which you love more your mother or your father :) but in the end i had to vote playstation because my mum cooks better than my dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by kaids
    gameboy ffs!

Aint a console (just thought i`d point that out)

SNES had no loading times, and had loadsa games but the PS1 is a great machine. In the end i`ll take the pc and play all those retro games on emulators.

Just my2c

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

PS1 and snes where both excellent consoles but what about THIS classy beast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Haw can you not have the "Atari Jaguar" option in this poll of all things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

He's got no respect I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

where's the all of the above option i.e. PC emulation?

:/

Well I pick the P.C. failing that...snes

Ivan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ACE OwNz J0oO!!

The pc is NOT a console:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Poll closed. Destickied.

Snes wins, psx 2nd, megadrive third. You old skool hippies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Saturn didn't even get a single vote - shame on you all!

(I *had* to vote for the PSX, you understand.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,372 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The snes was more popular than the md everywhere except in europe. It's because of this i got a md and not a snes. Oh well at least i had rocket knight adventures and gunstar heroes. Snes deserves to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭fisifan01

the snes by far did ne 1 ever play starfox total classic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Logie, I'm glad someone remembered that beast. How bad was that idea ? A cartridge only C64. I think it only lasted a few months. It cost as much as the full c64 which also had a cartridge port. Why would you bother. Lemon heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by pcirl.com

Aint a console (just thought i`d point that out)

Yes it is. Just because it's portable doesn't mean it's not a console.

Advertisement