Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright

• 12-05-2002 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

I wanna make a cs map based around where i work and was wondering would i like need to get permission fromt he owners of the place to make the map, or is that only needed if you name the map after that place?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

No and No you dont need either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

No problem. The issue isn't the copyright in the design of the building (only protected in US law since 1990, in Irish an EU law even more recently) or the copyright in the architects design (which basically has been copyrightable since 1710)

Essentially what you would be doing is creating a derivative work. It's covered as an exception to copyright. Basically the copyright owner can't prevent anyone from making any pictorial representation of a constructed building is the building is located in or ordinarily visible from a public place.

Facts (as in the layout of the building) can't really be copyrighted (as decided in the US Feist case (can't remember the year but it was the telephone book case) and followed in UK & Irish law) so you'd be fine on that front.

With regard to the name of the building, unless it's a trade mark, you're fine using that too (if you feel like it you can make some note that the name is being used for information purposes only and is not an endorsement of your map)

Bottom line: get designing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

There'd be no problems whatsoever.

And the only way you'd ever get any chance of a problem would be if the map was included in a retail version of CS. and I dont think CS are accepting new maps apart from ones made by Valve software :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

/me has the feeling someone is gonna shoot up some co-workers hehe :p

but on a serious note there should be absolutley no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Danny

I can picture PyjamaMan placing hostages in the places where co-workers are and slowly making his way through them with his M4A1... :D:D:D

But as far as I know (and remember i dont know much :D ) you should have no problem with it. de_office is pritty c**p any why so hopefully yours will be better. Send it to me when your done :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by Danny
    My thoghts exactly... If I were working with PyjamaMan I'd be afraid... very afraid!
    Although there are just some places you'd go and say - "man, this place'd make a cool CS map!" ... there again, I don't think about CS that much :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

who said i worked in an office?

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Hmph...
    To be quite honest anyone who makes a big deal about a map/project named after a building is a stuck up cow who needs tazer'ing... But then again, it CAN happen, so it's best to be absolutely certain that you haven't stepped over any unseen boundries, and suddenly find yourself being sued for naming a mere map after something else...

I, personally, haven't/won't be remaking any particular landscapes of buildings - I prefer to create things from my imagination, as opposed to using buildings as templates of influences - Not that it's a bad way to map, it's just not my style :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭PyjamaMan

well i see where your coming from on the imagination point, and i agree but the reason where im copying where i work i because its layout is soo damn cool and in my opion would be great for a map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

hint:

draw a sketch of the area on paper before you start to map,even if you know the layout like the back of your hand :)

• Advertisement
  • Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Thats something I've never done either - Again my maps usually develop after a thought zips through my head and I just work on it, add bits, bobs, odds and ends and the results are rather... Pointless...

Hmm, no wonder I can't map to save my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah, I tend to map like that aswell... just start off with a box room and see what happens ;)
    I usualy hop into the map in HL and do most of my thinking there...
    ie.
    "Where would I like to go from here?"
    "What would be nice here?"
    "What does this area need?"
    "Is this area too big/small?"

It makes mapping that extra bit exciting, not knowing what you'll end up with, being free to delete entire sections that you're not happy with, etc.
    I reckon if I drew out a plan beforehand I'd be too tempted to whack out an entire map without checking it a billion times while making it.
    Although having a good plan beforehand can really help with how the map plays, and making sure you've got enough space for that other entrance you wanted. ;)
    I must try it one of these days :p

Ok I've started 3 maps in the last week and trashed them after two days of work, merely because they're so crammed full of detail that the layout etc suffers and it becomes pointless to continue...

Im going at the map one more time and if that fails I'll go search my room for a notepad and pencil.

Advertisement