Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subscribing to Sky (Ireland) from abroad

• 12-05-2002 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

I have a digibox with a BBC card and am resident in the Netherlands. I am contemplating on purchasing a second digibox for the Irish channels.

I would be very grateful if someone advise me on the best way of subscribing to the cheapest Irish Sky package via a relative of the same last name resident in Ireland?

Should my relative phone Sky (Ireland) and ask them to send him the appropriate form or is it better to do this via a dealer?

Could someone give me the appropriate telephone numbers?

Would it be easier if I purchased my second digibox through the same Irish dealer?

Will there be a problem for my relative in explaining why he is not taking the Sky deal and does not want the system to be installed?

Should the payment be via an Irish bank account or would a non-Irish credit card be acceptable? Is it possible to pay an annual subcription or must a monthly payment be made?

Sorry if these questions have been handled recently, but I cannot find a relevant thread.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Not exactly rocket science guv.
    Get your friend to go into an Eircom shop (Or any Sky dealer) to get a Sky package installed and enabled in Ireland. Then get your friend to ship the box and card to Holland.
    Then come to some sort of arrangement for monthly payments. For example a joint direct debit account that can be accessed in Holland.
    Easy or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Originally posted by georgekildare
    I have a digibox with a BBC card and am resident in the Netherlands. I am contemplating on purchasing a second digibox for the Irish channels.

I would be very grateful if someone advise me on the best way of subscribing to the cheapest Irish Sky package via a relative of the same last name resident in Ireland?

Should my relative phone Sky (Ireland) and ask them to send him the appropriate form or is it better to do this via a dealer?

Could someone give me the appropriate telephone numbers?

Would it be easier if I purchased my second digibox through the same Irish dealer?

Will there be a problem for my relative in explaining why he is not taking the Sky deal and does not want the system to be installed?

Should the payment be via an Irish bank account or would a non-Irish credit card be acceptable? Is it possible to pay an annual subcription or must a monthly payment be made?

Sorry if these questions have been handled recently, but I cannot find a relevant thread.

Many thanks.

I can help you with this please e mail me privately

Regards Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mayoman

I live in Britain and I am keen to get a 2nd digibox to receive RTE.

Does the box have to be purchased and installed in Ireland before shipping or could I purchase a box in UK, get a friend to post card to me and then phone Sky to get it authorised.

I have an irish bank account for the direct debit so that should be okay.

Regards

Originally posted by mayoman
    I live in Britain and I am keen to get a 2nd digibox to receive RTE.

Does the box have to be purchased and installed in Ireland before shipping or could I purchase a box in UK, get a friend to post card to me and then phone Sky to get it authorised.

I have an irish bank account for the direct debit so that should be okay.

Regards

Again I can help you with this please e mail me privately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

I also live in the UK and have 2 digi boxes and since the loss of tara tv Im having a bit of a bad time without my fix of Irish tv (r Podge and Rodge still going ?).
    I am a bit confused about getting RTE,N2 etc here in the UK.I have read in other threads that you cannot get RTE etc over here YET ? so how can this be done ?I can get RTE etc through my add channels but get the 08 message.Do I need a ROI box or can I use my second box and get a ROI card if there is such a thing.

Any adivice would be great.

(hope the above is clear bit new to this game and this is me 1st post.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Welcome Ballydung. I sent you a private message - click on user cp at the top of the page to see it.

Originally posted by Ballydung
    I also live in the UK and have 2 digi boxes and since the loss of tara tv Im having a bit of a bad time without my fix of Irish tv (r Podge and Rodge still going ?).
    I am a bit confused about getting RTE,N2 etc here in the UK.I have read in other threads that you cannot get RTE etc over here YET ? so how can this be done ?I can get RTE etc through my add channels but get the 08 message.Do I need a ROI box or can I use my second box and get a ROI card if there is such a thing.

Any adivice would be great.

(hope the above is clear bit new to this game and this is me 1st post.:cool:

Again I can help you with this please e mail me privately

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭georgekildare

Sorry to bring up this subject again. However, I gather that to purchase an Irish Sky substriction I will have to get the card mated to the digibox in Ireland using an Irish telephone number.
    This will entail shipping the digibox to Ireland and getting it reshipped back to the Netherlands. As far as I know this is not the case for gray-market subscriptions to UK Sky that are available here.

Does anyone know whether there is a way around this? i.e. If the serial number of the digibox and the card are known can one register them without connecting the digibox to an Irish telephone?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Stiabhna

Does anyone know if you can get an Irish subscription for a box you already have? My sister lives in Holland and has bought a Sky box with a BBC FTV card on eBay. If she subscribes to the basic SKY package to get RTE, can she get a card for the existing box? Would this mean that her FTV card will then be disabled?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I am in the same position as your sister and live in Leiden. I was informed that you have to get the subscription started by connecting the box to an Irish telephone line. Hence my previous message.

I hope that someone can come up with a way around this. If not, then maybe the next time that one of us visits Ireland from Holland, we can get a few boxes connected!

Cheers,

• Advertisement

At the moment, Sky don't require a telephone link in Ireland.
    In fact the telephone interactive doesn't work.

I have subscribed to Sky for 6 months, and at no stage has Sky asked me to connect a phone line.
    This may change during the summer when Interactive is enabled.

I have had a Sky subscription here in Germany for 2 years and have never had the phone link connected - haven't had any problems yet!

If Sky introduces the mirror subscription in Ireland, does anyone know if I can get a second card and send it to my sister (in Groningen)?

Thanks,

Stephen

Originally posted by carrolls
    At the moment, Sky don't require a telephone link in Ireland.
    In fact the telephone interactive doesn't work.

Not true, its a condition of the contract and it's the only relaible way of activating an Irish viewing card, once thats done however it does not seem to be an ongoing problem.

Tony

Originally posted by Stiabhna
    I have had a Sky subscription here in Germany for 2 years and have never had the phone link connected - haven't had any problems yet!

If Sky introduces the mirror subscription in Ireland, does anyone know if I can get a second card and send it to my sister (in Groningen)?

Thanks,

Stephen

Sky will definitely want a permanent connection to an Irish phoneline for mirror cards to ensure they remain in the same household.

Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Genghis

Originally posted by Tony

Sky will definitely want a permanent connection to an Irish phoneline for mirror cards to ensure they remain in the same household.

Tony

Does this mean that for each mirror subscription you will need a phone connection? Getting a mirror subscription might turn out to be very expensive, even before the monthly charge-out rate.

I also guess that if you have exceeded your initial contract (and are therefore not obliged to have the box connected at all), you will be subject to a new contract?

Has this happened when mirror subs came in in the UK?

Originally posted by Genghis

Does this mean that for each mirror subscription you will need a phone connection? Getting a mirror subscription might turn out to be very expensive, even before the monthly charge-out rate.

I do not follow ,why would it be very expensive?

Tony

My Sky subscription was activated without using a phone line connected to my digibox.
    I just called Sky on the freephone number and they switched me on.
    I have never connected a phoneline to my digibox and there has never been problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

An Irish bank account is not a necessity. I pay my Northern Ireland Sky sub on my Southern Ireland Credit Card.

I can confirm that an Irish bank account is not necessary. I pay for my subscription with a German VISA card - and they have never asked questions

S. :)

Originally posted by Stiabhna
    I can confirm that an Irish bank account is not necessary. I pay for my subscription with a German VISA card - and they have never asked questions

S. :)

There is no problem with visa cards from other countries as lots of visitors to Ireland use their "home" credit card so sky have no reason to be suspicious and to be honest I dont think they care.

Tony

• Advertisement

Originally posted by carrolls
    My Sky subscription was activated without using a phone line connected to my digibox.
    I just called Sky on the freephone number and they switched me on.
    I have never connected a phoneline to my digibox and there has never been problems.

It has been a condition of the contract since June of 2001 although they have allowed manual switch on since then it has caused problems such as RTE not appearing as well as other difficulties.

Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭seano

all the boys in holland, you have pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I have a 2nd ROI digi box with a ROI card that I dont particically need. A friend of mine has a villa in Spain and asked me if he can get BSkyB in Spain. If I give him my digi box with card, will it work in sunny Algarve? Obviously he must get his own dish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sayireland

Check out these links for general 2D reception. When we get some more specific information on RTE radio and TV channels, we'll post it.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?threadid=25089

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?threadid=17305

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?threadid=14211

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Tks I have looked at all those threads,But what i really need to know ,irrespective of the dish size,which can be got locally. Will my panasonic sky digi box with the Irish card work with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

fyi

I have a Irish sky subscription plus UK Digibox. When I put the Irish sky card in the UK digibox the RTE1,TV3,NET2 and TG4 all work plus all the crap sky channels, UK Gold etc..(Not SKy Sports).
    Therefore there must be a good chance the Irish card will work for you. My uk box is grundig...

Best of luck

Jez,

How and when did you activate the Irish card? Were you connected to a modem?

Regards,

George,
    My Irish card was activated in my Irish digibox in Sept 2000.
    Just discovered the other night that the Irish channels plus crap sky channels also work with this card in the UK Box.
    Interesting !!

George,

sorry forgot to say. I was not connected to a modem and have no phone line connected . Just connected by the signal sent by SKy

• Advertisement
Advertisement