Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much study do u do?

Options
  • 12-05-2002 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to see how much work being done by others

How Many Hours of study do you do per week? 39 votes

<5
    0% 0 votes
    5-10
    41% 16 votes
    10-25
    20% 8 votes
    25-30
    25% 10 votes
    30-45
    12% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

no way serialkiller, you cant do 35+ hours :/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

that has to be a joke ser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

is this a week?a month?overall?
    it isnt clear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

How Many Hours of study do you do per week?

does the per week thing not give it away?

and for anyone wondering yes i do that much study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

sorry missed that only read the topic
    Originally posted by Serialkiller
    and for anyone wondering yes i do that much study

u have a busy social life then? :D

• Advertisement

tis just excellent :( as u can imagine....

still tho in a few years i'll be traveling around in my private jet and helicopters flying over you lot cleaning the streets... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I clicked the middle one, i wish i could bring myself to do more though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Like I said in a previous thread. I haven't done any study yet apart from 20 minutes of business studies. I'm considering taking the rest of the time off school and putting in some work....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Planning on starting Wednesday.

Planning....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Its been about 5 years since i did the leaving but when i did do it i only studied for about 2 hours the night before each exam.

And i managed to get 300 and something points.

I wasnt interested in going to collage so i wasnt bothered with points , just wanted to pass.

I have a really good short term memory and the night before is my best time to study for most things but thats just me !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I do about 28 a week, four each day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Man U babe

3 hours a night during the week, 5 hours a day at weekends. Find it **** hard to study for the subjects I dont like. I do grinds aswell, does that count? english+accounting in ashfield.

well just to add dat little more pressure on you's i've 60hours of study a week now :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull

u have a busy social life then? :D

what do u expect hes from limerick where its fairly dangerous to go outside ure door. thats got to help him.

what do u expect hes from limerick where its fairly dangerous to go outside ure door. thats got to help him.

ah come on there's nuffin better than a good knife fight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

I clicked <5 but I now realise that might be a bit misleading. I've never been able to make myself study no matter how hard I tried (or tried to try, or something).
    It's a bad habit I picked up in primary school. I never had to study, or even do homework, to get top marks in all my exams. I mean that in the most literal sense. I never opened a schoolbook with the intention of reading it and only very rarely actually listened to what was going on in class. Spent most of my time idly staring off into space or talking with whoever was sitting next to me. (That may sound like a brag but I'm trying to be sincere here and I can't exactly leave that out). Used to go up to my room and Sit down in front of the old megadrive for a couple of hours and say I was doing homework (On the plus side, my platforming skills are unrivalled :cool: ).
    This meant that I never really developed the ability to sit down and read something that doesn't interest me. I just can't force myself to do it no matter what I do.
    I realise how this will affect me in the leaving cert because I've already done it once and bombed miserably. Did 5 pass subjects (well, 7 technically but I didn't actually write anything for the Irish or English exams) and managed to scrape 150 points with an A in physics which was mostly a general knowledge quiz, and a B in maths which I got by bluffing my way through each question.
    There's now 21 days to my first exam as I'm not doing english. That limits my choices but, hell, I'm not going to have to worry about that :(.
    I haven't picked up a book since may last year and I don't really see how I'm going to even scrape the 150 that I managed last year seeing as I was kicked out of the college of commerce repeat course for not handing in work and for a poor attendence record. I believe "****ed" is the word that could be used to describe me. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't the laziest human being on the planet as I'm incapable of working hard and have been completely unable to hold down a steady job.
    But before I leave you to go wallow in self pity and 2 tubs of super-value double chocolate ice-cream I have something else to add. I have known no-one who has done badly in the leaving cert as long as they have had a reasonable track record for exams and I've even known a few who've done well by just studying in the weeks coming up to the exams.
    My advice to you all is the ultimate cliché. Put the head down for the next 20 days and don't let the stress get to you. I'm sure you can all afford to take 3 weeks off your undoubtedly hectic social lives if your future is at stake. Despite what people say, from my observations it's never really too late to give one last push for those extra points that you need. Good luck to you all. Especially the people who join me in the <5 category :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I clicked <5 but I now realise that might be a bit misleading. I've never been able to make myself study no matter how hard I tried (or tried to try, or something).
    It's a bad habit I picked up in primary school. I never had to study, or even do homework, to get top marks in all my exams. I mean that in the most literal sense. I never opened a schoolbook with the intention of reading it and only very rarely actually listened to what was going on in class. Spent most of my time idly staring off into space or talking with whoever was sitting next to me. (That may sound like a brag but I'm trying to be sincere here and I can't exactly leave that out). Used to go up to my room and Sit down in front of the old megadrive for a couple of hours and say I was doing homework (On the plus side, my platforming skills are unrivalled ).
    This meant that I never really developed the ability to sit down and read something that doesn't interest me. I just can't force myself to do it no matter what I do.

Exactly the same boat I'm in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Live Wyre

yeah it's me again, the guy who offended you by not caring about how i do in the exams.

buddy for your own sake listen up. if you want to study that much fine. but the education system is a circus and all employers know that. I've spoken to some because I've a lot of work experience in good places and I'm telling you they don't give a rat's ass about points.

you've got to get your head out of the arse of the education system because you have yourself convinced your gonna be a success on account of how many points you get?

sorry man, it doesn't work that way.

the leaving cert is a lottery.

end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What employers care about is your last qualification. If you don't go to college, an employer will look at your LC, if you do go to college, he won't. But you will still need an LC to get into college in the first place.

Moral of the story - No LC, no college.

Chances are anyone not going to a points-system college (eg doing an apprenticeship) are doing feck all work for the LC. Fine.

Stop talking crap Live Wyre.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

Lads study the last few weeks its worth it anything is possible. People have been talking about how they are lazy bastards one guy talking about how he justr played his mega drive instead of doin homework. I did the exact same thing.I am the ultimate lazy bastard but for the LC its a necessity to get over it. Try and get something(or someone to motivate you). And study somewhere were people can see you. Study hard and you can jump a few grades easily. I managed 400 points. This was back when bonus points was awarded for maths. Concentrate on sections and questions I used revision books as well which were handy I remember. Anyway best of luck in exams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

still tho in a few years i'll be traveling around in my private jet and helicopters
    I take it you plan on being a flight attendant :D

No I do about 3Hrs a night and even less on weekends..
    Its now really how much study you do its how much u can take in in the time you do... theres no point doing 5+ Hrs a night when for maybe 3quaters of time be be off day dreaming or doing homework..
    And dont worry if you arent doing a Hell of allot of Study aslong as you did work in school.
    Half the time ppl worry over their exams but when u actually see the exams all that info that you thought you worent learning is actually somewhere in that Dark,Damp and funny smelling Pit you call yer Brain!
    Osmosis is.......
    See... only in the time its taken me to write this (about 40 seconds) I can remember something that I thought I didnt have a clue what was..

dont worry.. and relax... the Examiners are there to help you not to Brake you.. as long as you do sufficient work you can get the points. but make sure that you ARE doing that sufficient work..
    Also what I did a few months back is work on my Best (Realistic) Possile Score... then 2nd best... then 2nd worst... . then Worst and that will give u a clear indication of how much work you must put in..

At the end of the Day it can either go your way or not in the exam but there is no point worrying as you can always Repeat...or alternativly theres the Dole :D

I take it you plan on being a flight attendant

no but you can be one of mine on one of my 767's :)
    Its now really how much study you do its how much u can take in in the time you do... theres no point doing 5+ Hrs a night when for maybe 3quaters of time be be off day dreaming or doing homework..
    And dont worry if you arent doing a Hell of allot of Study aslong as you did work in school.

yawn doodee incase u haven't noticed the courses arn't too short....i pay full attention in every class and well i still require huge ammounts of study to ensure i get the grades i believe i deserve and as such even if i far exceed my course requirement..........the lc is design'd to reward those who work...i want a lovely cert to throw up on da wall even if it means nothing too much

At the end of the Day it can either go your way or not in the exam but there is no point worrying as you can always Repeat...or alternativly theres the Dole

i'm in bruce where there is more repeats than first timers or equal numbers...and well i can tell u its not a very nice thing...i know plenty who have thought about jump'n off the odd bridge just to get the **** out of bruce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by Steven
    It's a bad habit I picked up in primary school. I never had to study, or even do homework, to get top marks in all my exams. I mean that in the most literal sense. I never opened a schoolbook with the intention of reading it and only very rarely actually listened to what was going on in class. Spent most of my time idly staring off into space or talking with whoever was sitting next to me. (That may sound like a brag but I'm trying to be sincere here and I can't exactly leave that out). Used to go up to my room and Sit down in front of the old megadrive for a couple of hours and say I was doing homework (On the plus side, my platforming skills are unrivalled :cool: ).
    I realise how this will affect me in the leaving cert because I've already done it once and bombed miserably. Did 5 pass subjects (well, 7 technically but I didn't actually write anything for the Irish or English exams) and managed to scrape 150 points with an A in physics which was mostly a general knowledge quiz, and a B in maths which I got by bluffing my way through each question.
    There's now 21 days to my first exam as I'm not doing english. That limits my choices but, hell, I'm not going to have to worry about that :(.
    I haven't picked up a book since may last year and I don't really see how I'm going to even scrape the 150 that I managed last year seeing as I was kicked out of the college of commerce repeat course for not handing in work and for a poor attendence record. I believe "****ed" is the word that could be used to describe me. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't the laziest human being on the planet as I'm incapable of working hard and have been completely unable to hold down a steady job.
    But before I leave you to go wallow in self pity and 2 tubs of super-value double chocolate ice-cream I have something else to add. I have known no-one who has done badly in the leaving cert as long as they have had a reasonable track record for exams and I've even known a few who've done well by just studying in the weeks coming up to the exams.
    My advice to you all is the ultimate cliché. Put the head down for the next 20 days and don't let the stress get to you. I'm sure you can all afford to take 3 weeks off your undoubtedly hectic social lives if your future is at stake. Despite what people say, from my observations it's never really too late to give one last push for those extra points that you need. Good luck to you all. Especially the people who join me in the <5 category :rolleyes:

Heh, this sounds fimiliar.
    Its been 3 years since i sat my first LC and did even worse then you bai. 145 points with 3 subject fails.
    On studying, i quite litrally did'nd open a book. Thats no exaggeration. I did about a hour b4 the night b4 each exam and that was pretty much it. I had thought @ the time that there was just somthing wrong with me, destioned to be a loser ect.

When i went off to college (did a plc in multimedia / Game Dev) i went from being the lazyest sod in Ireland to a complete workaholic, because I was intrested in what i was doing. I pretty much got straight distinctions. Got a job straight away after the course and was a complete workaholic @ that also.

Last year i decided i wanted to get a degree in Graphic design (what i was doing for a living) but knew i needed to repeat my LC to do this. So, i went back to school last september hoping that since i was now used to working my arse off, it would carry across. Well, 2 and a half weeks or so to go till the LC now and yet again i hav'nd opened a book this time 'round either. Go figure.

I recon this is just the effect the 1st and 2nd level education system has on certain ppl. I've really tryed to sit down and study this time round and the longest stint i've managed b4 finding myself staring into space daydreaming, is 15 minutes. No joke.
    This is from a person that's put in 20 hour+ stints on college projects.
    If it was just a little more intresting ppl like us might have a chance.

Whatever u decide to do, make sure its somthing ur intrested in.

well yes i can understand that...my attention span for lc subjects is at a max of 1hr...i can program (and have done so) 3 days straight and not be bothered by it....

i never was able to do anything before this year but i got landed in beside all the the repeats in bruce and some of em are so determined n stuff its kinda rubbed off.....still i can only do well in my sciences...as those are what i'll be doing in college and find interesting...only problem is stuff like phyics is far too basic and is pure boring as a result.......

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭DMX

Study??? dats one ability i don't hav,i can't study, i got 225 points in the pre's without study,thats obviously good but kinda ****ed 4 leaving, i still haven't started study yet but will try 4 last 2 weeks,Good luck everybody

If u've nothin 2 live 4 then find somethin 2 die 4
    >DMX<

Advertisement