Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Modems

• 19-06-2001 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

I know this question was asked ages ago but i couldnt find the thread. anyway

How do you know if a modem is hardware or software?

There's a couple in work and i need a new one, but dont know if they're hardware or not frown.gif

thanks

me

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Generally, if its a PCI board, its software (winmodem)
    if its ISA or serial its hardware.

Other than that, check the boards themselves, if they mention Lucent/hsp/pctel they're definatly software

Lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Or... does winamp stutter anytime your modem connects/disconnects, or general behaviour like that, the computer stalling for a second, if so then its software.

-Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishassassin!:
    Or... does winamp stutter anytime your modem connects/disconnects, or general behaviour like that, the computer stalling for a second, if so then its software.

-Dave
    </font>

i agree with you to a certian extent, but when i make sure my modem is not on the same irq as the soundcard then its fine.
    But how can you identify a H/W modem by looking at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">But how can you identify a H/W modem by looking at it?</font>
    I'm not 100% on this, but going on the modems I've had before... the H/W modems should be more 'bulky', with a big black box bit attached to the card... and the s/w modems should be very slim and bare looking.
    And I'd agree with lampsie, PCI modems are mostly s/w.
    Just get an external modem and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Software modems are very bare compared to hardware, and are often not a full card (half-card, look like a network card). Hardware modems are generally a full-sized card covered in all sorts of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishassassin!:
    </font>
    I've got it even better. If I play an MP3, the connection dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

hardware modems are usualy twice the price of software.
    and Dead{o}Santa is right, big black box on them usualy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Stonemason

I dont think with the phone lines being what they are(so bad as to make the point mute) and most people having a decent spec pc these days that the hardware versus software argument hasnt as much importants as it used to.If i didnt have ISDN i would have no problem usesing a decent software modem especialy when you consider that a sotware modem is half the price of its hardware bretherin.

Stone biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Stonemason (edited 23-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I have an internal PCi Lucent 1614 ( I think thats the model numr) 56er. Its a DSP modem so its kinda half hardwre, half software. I ahve a P3 800 and GeForce so I have plenty of cpu cycles to spare for it. It gets me a better ping (though less reliable) then my external serial Cirrus logic 56er.
    As the more observant amongst you may remember I have a linesplitter on my phone line and so am restricted to 31200bps max, I'm 1mile from my local exchange and I get 3.7KB maximum average speed downloading, and a ping of anywhere between 170-240 depending on how many are on the server, which ISP, and what time of day.
    I also used an old 28.8 Boca internal ISA modem. same story, thought the ping was rather crap. I might be getting ISDn soon though, so I'll leave my past behind me

Advertisement