Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ADSL modem will you be useing ?

• 12-05-2002 8:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

As ADSL should be on sale as of Monday what ADSL modem will people be getting?
    I have been looking at a Zyxel 643.
    I rang Eircom about what ADSL modems would work and was told that Zyxel should work fine.
    Has anyone else been looking for a modem and what have you found?

review of the 643

Coyote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

that is an excellent piece of kit and i strongly recommend it. Esat have been using a different model for awhile over hdsl.
    it has the benefit of working with both pppoa and pppoe from the box. Mind telling me where your buying yours from, will that site ship to the republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by Boston
    Esat have been using a different model for awhile over hdsl.

Zyxel's HDSL routers (153x, afair) have nothing in common with their ADSL routers bar the brand name.

it has the benefit of working with both pppoa and pppoe from the box.

Eh, almost any modem/router combo will. Its just the external ethernet ones that don't support PPPoA, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

From what i know Eircom are useing PPPoE, but what mode is the ADSL running in ?
    • G.dmt
    • G.lite
    • G.hs
    • G.ploam

I know that there not useing RADSL or ADSL over ISDN yet.
    do you just need PPPoE or PPPoE and the right mode ?

I would like too hear what other people are thinking about buying and what one's they think best.
    a good number of people are going to be buying DSL modems soon so may as well get the best.

Coyote

• G.dmt
    • G.lite
    • G.hs
    • G.ploam

G.dmt ADSL, POTS only variety is used by Eircom. Its basically the only ADSL standard used these days. If you just set your router to use PPPoE it should auto-select the correct ADSL mode. If not just set it to G.dmt

G.lite is a weird standard for low speed DSL that never took off.

G.hs and G.ploam are protocols used on G.dmt or G.lite connections.

Rate Adaptive is just a mode that a g.dmt line can be set to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I'm thinking of ordering from DSL Warehouse in the UK Price: £189.00 (€302) £222.08 (€355) Including VAT at 17.5%
    but i'm still looking for better price and at other modems

Coyote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

im using that alcatel one eircon gave me. i aint had any trouble using it so i dont really care. 100k(god bless those dumb techs who hooked me up @1024/256) is okay for me. i already have a small network set up with a 4 port hub and 2 pc's hooked up to it so it dont really matter if i go for a router option. anyway the one eircon offer is fine(the usb one that is dont know about the ethernet one).

Originally posted by hudson806

Zyxel's HDSL routers (153x, afair) have nothing in common with their ADSL routers bar the brand name.

Just making the point that they also manufactor a leading brand of hdsl routers, didnt say there was.

Eh, almost any modem/router combo will. Its just the external ethernet ones that don't support PPPoA, for obvious reasons.

Yes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

im using the Asus AAM6000EV Router (Modem/Router with single ethernet port
    ), costs about 120 here in London. gets the lowest pings,me and my clan mates all use it, and no1 in UK gets lower with anything else.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/modems.htm#EXTERNAL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Dabs have the following usb modem available here. Its reasonably cheap and has both ppoa and ppoe plus a whole lot more. Id rather go for ethernet myself but it might be a cheap alternative to eircom's usb model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ser that modem/router looks sweet, I'd go for the BI one my self, do you know if thats got the same pings as the EV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I'll get whatever ADSL device that esat provide me with :), beats the hell out of buying one.

PK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

If you were to get Ser's one, could you use that one ethernet port to plug it into a bog standard switch and it would share the connection (maybe a bit of software configging needed?)??
    ie: would it act as another machine on the network (I don't mean show up in Netowrk Neighbourhood as anotehr machine)

Originally posted by SyxPak
    If you were to get Ser's one, could you use that one ethernet port to plug it into a bog standard switch and it would share the connection (maybe a bit of software configging needed?)??
    ie: would it act as another machine on the network (I don't mean show up in Netowrk Neighbourhood as anotehr machine)

afaik you would need an stand alone router for that. might be soem software that it do it. i wouldnt know though

Originally posted by SyxPak

Yes. No special reconfiguration needed - this is exactly what it is designed to do. Just set up pppoe on the 6000EV and go

Yes. No special reconfiguration needed - this is exactly what it is designed to do. Just set up pppoe on the 6000EV and go

question, how would you go about connecting to the net? a client on each pc? set one pc up as the "host" and have all other pc's access the net through that one.?

Wouldnt you still need a pppoe client

question, how would you go about connecting to the net? a client on each pc? set one pc up as the "host" and have all other pc's access the net through that one.?

Take it easy Boston, and start reading the posts you're replying to: Its a modem/router combo.

I don't want to seem grumpy here, but every single reply you've made on this thread has been either totally wrong or totally irrelevant. ;););)

Take it easy Boston, and start reading the posts you're replying to: Its a modem/router combo.

I don't want to seem grumpy here, but every single reply you've made on this thread has been either totally wrong or totally irrelevant. ;););)

well i havent posted anything wrong as i havent said anything definite.

the reason i told your man that he would probably need a router was that i wasnt aware of what "they" ment by router.
    i was under the impression that the EV was basically the same as the speedtouch and would requier a software pppoe dialer.
    thats why i found your post odd.

so your telling me the its an actual actual router? if so then thats all i neede to know.

whats the stroy with running an ev with another 8 port router. id imagine it would be ok

well i havent posted anything wrong as i havent said anything definite.

:rolleyes:

i was under the impression that the EV was basically the same as the speedtouch and would requier a software pppoe dialer.

If you'd bothered to look at the link provided, you would have seen it is a router. Think about it: someone posted a link to a modem and rather than look at the link to find out what it was, you just fed people a whole load of crap about what you guessed it was from the name of it. ;)

And the Speedtouch is a bridge, not a router.

so your telling me the its an actual actual router? if so then thats all i neede to know.

I'm not telling you that: Ser told you that 10 posts previously, when he posted the link to it, which I have repeated here for your convenience:

Asus Router Link

whats the stroy with running an ev with another 8 port router. id imagine it would be ok

Aside from the fact that it would be a pointless waste of time, it would work, as long as you disable the other router. And FYI you don't have an 8 port router, you have a router with a built-in 8 port switch.

:rolleyes:

If you'd bothered to look at the link provided, you would have seen it is a router. Think about it: someone posted a link to a modem and rather than look at the link to find out what it was, you just fed people a whole load of crap about what you guessed it was from the name of it. ;)

I did look at the link, and i did get the details, but i was unsure of there meaning of router, thats why i posted afaik and said i wasnt total sure.
    And the Speedtouch is a bridge, not a router.
    [/B]

come on, your know i know this, ive had arguements with you over this.
    I'm not telling you that: Ser told you that 10 posts previously, when he posted the link to it, which I have repeated here for your convenience:
    [/B]

of which i wanted confirmation, ive never user the modem or connected in the way you describe, i was jsut asking for confimation.
    Aside from the fact that it would be a pointless waste of time, it would work, as long as you disable the other router. And FYI you don't have an 8 port router, you have a router with a built-in 8 port switch. [/B]

Well thanks for stating the obvious and something you have stated to me a hundread times before. Why would it be a waste of time? i simply wish to make use of the switch part of my stand alone router. btw ive an 8 port router, thats what its called so :p
    lets not get hung up in terms

Advertisement