Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freedom of speech and newbie names

• 12-05-2002 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

There's a Newbie called "Deathtobertie" and I suggested in a "report this thread to a moderator" that this name is really inappropriate. I also mentioned it to the Newbie, who has just written and thanked me and said "I'll call myself whatever I wish, thank you very much for your comment."

I don't like Bertie and wouldn't ever vote for him, but this nickname is offensive, and is probably illegal, and actionable, in a public forum. Would the moderators care to comment on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I somehow doubt it's illegal. Anyway isn't 'Yoda' a character copyrighted by George Lucas? Could be opening yourself up to a nasty lawsuit with your trademark infringement there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Death to Yoda!

(And also; here, have a nice big bag of SHUT UP.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Deathtobertie does sound like a dodgy name for a user. but i have a feeling that this person will not be around for long. Maybe a quick fixation with changing from newbie onwards but that should be it i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by Shinji
    (And also; here, have a nice big bag of SHUT UP.)

You seem to be handing out these "bags of SHUT UP" on a regular basis now shinji which seems strange. Ever think it could be you that needs a bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You assume "Bertie" to be something which it may not be. I'm not a lawyer (or a dentist) but I'd say it'd only be actionable if the nick was deathtobertieaherncurrentleaderoffiannafail. And even if that length of name was allowed it could most likely be argued that it's a parody.

Lastly, we look to real-life(tm) for some clues. Again I'm fairly sure it would be possible to change my name to Deathtobertie by deed poll if I so wished.

Keep riding towards those windm^H^H^H^H^H^H giants, there,Don Yoda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If he wants to call him/herself that then fair play.

As long as the username is not a profanity then it should be OK.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I reckon the names alright, we arent a facist regime here a bit of free thinking is alright, as opposed to "Everyone must like me"

lol:D at the bag of shut up thing!
    "Why dont i get you a spoon so you can eat my Ass!"

bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

a little rhyme out of gandalf.......poetry in motion...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

It seems to me that the incitement-to-hatred regs probably would not recognize the amusement factor of names like "death-to-Bertie" any more than they would recognize the suitability of names like "death-to-fags" or "death-to-Jews". "Fair play" to him, Gandalf? It seems to me that a death threat, however much "in jest" is far more profane than the use of a four-letter word. RTÉ broadcasts films using those words all the time. Boards writers aren't allowed to use them, which is fair enough, I take it to be a decorum-control (easily subverted by using accented vowels). But this case isn't funny, and I am surprised to see support for it amongst any of the mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

what about death to eircom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have a better idea, what about death to Bos....

noeeeeee... must..... reseeeeeeeeest.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

deathtobertie isnt too bad name, as bertie in itself is vague.

but i would have a prob with deathtobertieahern, or something more specific like that.

just because we associate bertie to bertie ahern doesnt mean that everyone would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Originally posted by Gone Shootin

but i would have a prob with deathtobertieahern, or something more specific like that.

just because we associate bertie to bertie ahern doesnt mean that everyone would
    what he said :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The name is borderline acceptable imho.

If the name was "deathtojews" it would obviously be totally unacceptable as an obvious example of hate speech.

"deathtobertie" could be almost any Bertie granted; however judging by where the guy is posting it's more than likely the Bertie we all know and, er, have an opinion on.

Judging by his posts he seems more interested in electoral death than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by Gone Shootin

I second this. If it were more specific, then perhaps it should be taken more seriously, but "bertie" on its own is extremely vague. After all, he may just have a thing about liquorice allsorts...

Gadget
    P.S.> In case I've just confused some people,
    Trebor Bassett had a character device they used selling Liquorice Allsorts called "Bertie Bassett". I'm only trying to show that there's no way of knowing who or what the "bertie" in question actually is...

Advertisement