Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIII upgrade?

• 15-06-2001 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Lads how fast can I up Grade my PIII processor with out getting a new mother board and getting the P4.. is it 1ghz the P3 goes up to? how much would it cost to go from 500 to the 1GHZ if that is how far it goes up to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,462 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Adren, before you splash out you need to check out what you're motherboard will support. Chances are, if you have a 500mhz p3 then its a katmai which is all you can get, ie the max is 600mhz. If you are really lucky you're board will support katmai and coppermine ,then you can got up to the gb range. I strongly suggest you verify this with your pc manufacuters tech support first.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

There are 500Mhz coppermines.
    Download intels processor id utility or any program that will tell you how much l2 cache you have... if its 512kb its a katmai, if its 256kb its a coppermine.

If its a coppermine check what packaging the chip is in, if its a slot cartridge then its gonna be harder to find a faster chip imo as last time i checked most for sale now seem to be socket based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

know where i can get those tools of the net Kali?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You could try www.intel.com for the intel processor id utility, you never know, it might be there.

Much more informative is wcpuid, written by a japanese genius.
    Download it here:
    http://cgi2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~nrklv/cgi-bin/softdl.cgi?wcpu30b.exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

If u wanna use mai order from uk use these lads www.jungle.co.uk

:biggrin:

oh Suit you sir,the pretty lady sir,would you sir,oh,suit you sir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

What are my prospects for upgrading?! I was going to get a p3 800 soonish, but if it means I have to get a new MOBO then I'll buy one but I'll jump ship to an Athlon set up or summat :/

[ WCPUID Version 3.0b (c) 1996-2001 By H.Oda! ]

Processor #1 : Intel Pentium III / 64A2D9E3
    Platform : Slot 1 (SC242 Connector)
    Vendor String : GenuineIntel
    CPU Type : Original OEM Processor (0)
    Family : 6 (-)
    Model : 8 (-)
    Stepping ID : 1 (-)
    Brand : 2
    APIC : ----
    Name String : ----

Internal Clock : 598.61 MHz
    System Bus : 99.77 MHz
    System Clock : 99.77 MHz
    Multiplier : 6.0

L1 I-Cache : 16K Byte
    L1 D-Cache : 16K Byte
    L1 T-Cache : ----
    L1 Cache : ----
    L2 Cache : 256K Byte
    L2 Speed : 598.61 MHz (Full)

MMX Unit : Supported
    SSE Unit : Supported
    SSE2 Unit : Not Supported
    MMX2 Unit : Not Supported
    3DNow! Unit : Not Supported
    3DNow!+ Unit : Not Supported

bugler.. should be able to pick up a 800 easily enough or even a 1ghz slot 1 (harder to find tho) running at 100Mhz FSB.

bugler, check your motherboard manual and see does it support 133mhz bus. If it does, you could try running your 600 coppermine at 800, its quite likely it would run at that speed. Otherwise, as kali says you will have to look for the fastest 100mhz bus chip, I know scan had 850s in slot1 a while ago, dunno if they still have them.

Forgot about this.Thx lads.But I can't seem to find any manual as such.I have this book for all pc specs etc, but there doesnt seem to be anything about 133mhz bus.any way to be sure? Any useful proggies for o/c etc ?

to find your bus speed.. as mentioned above.. go download intels processor id program or click on the link gerry provided for wcpuid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Some motherboards let you let you run the FSB at 133, but do not let you change the FSB/AGP ratio. Normal speed is 100Mhz:66Mhz, so when you overclock, the speed becomes 133Mhz:88Mhz. Graphics cards tend to dislike running at this speed. Watch out for this if you have an older motherboard.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">System Bus : 99.77 MHz</font>

Does that mean it can't be done? :/

bugler.. a 600E should overclock nicely and pretty easily.

there are a few ways of overclocking it if thats what you want:

open up your case and see if there are any
    jumpers near the cpu that mention voltage, one set will be for fsb speed, one for cpu, however the latter is probably locked i think with newer intel chips.

check your bios.. it may allow overclocking there.

download softfsb or some other software overclocking tool.. increase the FSB speed in small increments using this..

however your standard heatsink and fan combo may not be enough to sustain higher clock speeds and the resultant heat so throw it back fairly quickly, although intels are usually a lot safer than amd chips for not dying.

or if all else fails wait till gerry replies wink.gif

Hehe.Yeah I'm no expert at these matters.I'll need an idiots guide to..

Just bump this along til Gerry comes back and replies.Jesus,you'd swear some people had lives the way they vanish for hours on end from these boards smile.gif

Well take kali's advice to get you started. Basically you will only be able to change the fsb, and perhaps the voltage if you have a good motherboard. Somewhere, either marked on the board, or in the manual, or in the bios you will find a way of changing the bus speed from 100. If it is a dell or gateway bx board, it probably won't run at 133, perhaps the best thing to do is establish what make and model of board it is, and poste that up here, and I'll see what the story is.

As for the fan and heatsink, I'd agree with kali also, if they skimped on the heatsink it may not be good enough for 800mhz. But even at 800mhz, the p3 doesn't give off much heat so unless its a really shoddy heatsink you should be fine.

What void says is correct, on a bx based board, the agp divider of 2/3 cannot be changed, however almost all modern graphics cards are ok at 88mhz agp speed.

In my experience tnt's and geforces are ok up to 100mhz agp bus. My creative geforce2 gts doesn't like 110mhz agp bus however.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Where can I find SoftFSB ?

you can get it from www.h-oda.com

Advertisement