Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compulsory Medical Testing for Asylum Seekers

• 13-05-2002 3:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I heard over the weekend that FG would introduce a scheme of compulsory medical testing for asylum seekers upon arrival in the State if elected to Government. Does anyone have any more info on this? What are your views on such a proposal?

One argument against it is that it would be an invasion of the right to privacy. Personally, I have no problems in principle with such a test, provided it is not too invasive. I can see nothing wrong with attaching conditions to entering the country. Of course this all depends on what the test would consist of.

EDIT: this might shed some light on the issue: http://www.ireland.com/focus/election_2002/news/2002/0511/news1.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

More information needed,
    Please provide a link or source
    many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about compulsory medical screening for everyone? Say once every 1-5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I would'nt have any problem with everyone being screened, given an MOT of the body (and mind?!). God knows prevention is preferable and cheaper than cure. As for immigrants it makes sense after all the native population has a particular medical profile as regards disease, no-one here is likely to contract malaria without leaving the country for example (until climate change kicks in...) but incomers might be carrying something that the local population and medical system is unprepared for.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by mike65
    no-one here is likely to contract malaria without leaving the country for example (until climate change kicks in...) but incomers might be carrying something that the local population and medical system is unprepared for.
    But what few mosquitos we have here don't carry malaria (limited to the area around Malahide Co. Dublin) and I don't know of any other means of transmission. Such screening won't necessarily pick up something the system is 'unprepared for' as it is unlikely it will be looked for (e.g. it might pick up TB, but not a gastric bug limited to a small locality).

Advertisement