Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email from ODTR

Options
  • 13-05-2002 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

***** responce from an email i sent pointing out the minister for enterprises in activity relating to flat rate and broad band etc... ***

I too have been following the thread on Ireland Offline and note your
    selective quote. The following posts from Ruairi Ardagh may add more
    light - you can see that he says that his company Leap offered a 1mb
    wireless connection and it was the venue who didn't want this and
    preferred ISDN. Of course T1 (leased lines) are widely available in
    Ireland. I would suggest that there is more to this than is set out in
    the Conference Organisers email.

With regard to your specifics: the ODTR has has powers over the
    wholesale DSL product offering (which has a reduced price of some 40%
    from eircom's first offer). There are no powers in relation to retail
    price, caps etc.

We have said on numerous occasions that we would welcome the
    introduction of FRIACO but again our powers only kick in when an
    operator makes a request for FRIACO (this can be as simple as 'we want
    FRIACO'). No cuh operator to the best of our knowledge has made such a
    request. I suggest you expend your energy on ensuring that they so so

Regards

> Hmm... (Maybe we should all set ourselves up as a dummy telco and start making all these requests to kick start the bloody thing!?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51118

I suggest someone invite Pat McCann - CEO of Jurys' Doyle Group which owns the Burlo - to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Call me a mad whore, but is it not now a question of us getting a letter from NTL or ESAT stating that they had made formal representations to Eircom on providing FRIACO or getting those same organistaions to request that ODTR force the incumbent provider to provide FRIACO. If we can get NTL or ESAT to provide us with either type of letter, include some our usual propaganda and send it off to the ODTR (perhaps even CC the European Telecom's Regulatory body all of our correspondance) , would this not be enough (by the ODTR's own admission) to force the situation.

It may be that those organisations will not provide us with such a letter, but is it worth a try at least ? or am I being naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I agree with MDR on this one. If all it takes for the ODTR to start looking into forcing Eircom to offer FRIACO is a request from one of the OLO's for FRIACO, why the hell don't they just do it? Esat have said that they've been in negotiations with Eircom over FRIACO for ages and are not getting anywhere. So, why don't they just go and make the approach to the ODTR for FRIACO to be implemented and let Etian and her gang go to work?

The ODTR say that all it takes is for another operator to approach them and say, "We'd like FRIACO please." So why the hell don't Esat or Nevada or anyone else just do that? It makes no sense to me. Or, I wonder, do the OLO's even know that all they have to do is this in order to get FRIACO. If they do not, somebody should tell them. As I said, Esat have been wasting their time, it seems, trying to negotiate with Eircom when all they had to do was ask the ODTR for FRIACO to be implemented. Does this mean that Esat don't even know about all this? If they don't, somebody needs to tell them and tell them and the ODTR to get their collective asses in gear over all this.

Advertisement