Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy in Work?

Options
  • 13-05-2002 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

I decided to start up another thread on this topic after my last one was closed.
    Are you happy in work? I never seem to be happy in a job, ive had loads of different ones and usually im alright for a few months then the monotomy kicks in, same thing everyday even if its something different. I always seem to be waiting for something, like the weekend but then on friday i realise im back in 2 days and im waiting again. I can never enjoy my weekend as im counting down the hours till work. Anyone else feel like this?

Bomb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Could be a hell of a lot worse for me - internet café tech monkey. I've a fair bit of freedom, can decide my own hours as long as the job gets done, I work in a field in which I have interest, I'm regularly challenged with previously unencountered problems, I'm constantly learning and gaining valuable experience. Not paid quite as much as I could potentially be earning, but I'd rate job enjoyment and interest far above financial comfort. There are also perks with the job - free unlimited computer and internet use, access to the latest soft- and hardware (which I test on paid time), both also easily and cheaply available for personal purchase, valuable training in the pipeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

True id rate happiness in general over money any day.
    I dont know what it is about me but i can see it becoming a problem, i know im destined for better things, i know its sound like i have delusions of granduer (Sp?) but i have this feeling in my gut that there are better things waiting for me, it sounds crazy i know, but i feel like somebody forgot to post me my lucky break ,you know?
    im ean im sitting here in work at the moment and i have laods of work o do but i really dont care, ill let it all load up then slowly and reluctantly sort it out. I just dont see why i should work m arse off to make someone else money.

Bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Would you think a job where you do feck all during the day and get paid a fair bit for doing nothing is good? Thats me.. Being a Techie is good.. dont get me wrong but if nothing needs fixing then it cant be a little boring so i have to amuse myself with posting to the boards! Thats not a bad thing though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Loads of ppl are sitting around waiting for their lucky break, it comes to those who go out and really work hard to get it. You can't wait for an interesting job etc to find you, you have to make it happen. If you don't like what ur doing either settle for it and enjoy your time off or just weigh up the decision of packing it in and looking elsewhere, or perhaps going back to college until you find sth you enjoy working with

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I'd definitely rate job satisfaction as being one of the most important things... I'm in a job, not earning as much as I could be in another position but love the job, getting my hands on loadsa new kit, exposure to technologies I wouldnt get a look at elsewhere as its a small company and I kinda have to know everything... which is cool :D

Boss is sound, the people i work with are sound and loadsa nights out.. so cant complain.. perks are good and training if and when I need or want it...

BomdIdol.. seems to me that you need to find something that really appeals to you in a job, something that until now, you've been missing or not looking for.

Either that or you just cant settle, you need to find a way of settling into a job and make the most of it and not just expect it all to fall into place overnight...

Tox

• Advertisement

im not really waiting around for something to happen, and its not really a good job im after, i dont really believe theres a job out there that i would love. Im talking about the whole fortune and fame thing, Im helping a guy organise a wrestling event in tallaght and i can say its the best thing iv ever done , its a subject that i love and being on the inside is great and im good at it. I have plans to open a shop soon and i think that will create a job that ill like because there aint one out there already.
    Ive always had a lot of self confidence, but in a lot of things i know i can do better than the people that are doing them, i seem to have the abilty to forsee problems beofre they happen, i can see the whole picture in any situation, i can size up someone even by talking to them on the phone, a lot of this sounds like bigheaded dribble i know but its the truth, im not a smug swine i just know what i can and cant do and I have no problem saying that to someone. While i wouldnt turn around to someone and say i can do that better, id wait for a chance at something and excell at it, and with my current job i cant do that. Can you imagine reinstalling a printer in a nuns bedroom being fufilling?

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Ser

yeh no ****, i hate working. i work for some company called Cisco Systems, i handed in my notice after 7 months though, i havent doen any work here in ages, its so boring, i get paid a stupid amount (london for you), i will leave here end of May and will retire for abit , money wont last long though i think. not many ppl quit from here, but this zoo just isnt for me:>

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I always find that the best thing about work is the time off....:D
    Seriously, I know where you're coming from Bombidol. I'm a real clock-watcher myself and I find it reeeaalll hard to get enthusiastic about most of the stuff I do. It's a bit of a dilemma, isn't it? Whether to keep tipping along at a normal rate (not too much work, not too little) or actually work your ass off/suck up to the boss to get promoted. But hey, I agree with Sico about perks. I've got a fast internet connection and loads of browsing time. Could be worse....!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by bombidol
    I decided to start up another thread on this topic after my last one was closed.
    Are you happy in work? I never seem to be happy in a job, ive had loads of different ones and usually im alright for a few months then the monotomy kicks in, same thing everyday even if its something different. I always seem to be waiting for something, like the weekend but then on friday i realise im back in 2 days and im waiting again. I can never enjoy my weekend as im counting down the hours till work. Anyone else feel like this?

Bomb

why dont you push yourself.
    to be honest people like you make me sick.
    you sit around and moan and whinge about how crap life is and how crap work is but youre not able to get of your ass and do something about it.
    you stand there and preach about how crap other peoples jobs are, demeaning people who actually like their work by making them feel stupid when really its your own personal problems and your own inability to find your own happiness.
    and thats why i locked your thread. becuase people like you are boring. people like you bring down the rest of us with your constant whining pessimisim.
    why dont you actually go aout and get a job that challenges you instead of getting retard jobs, or are you afraid of failure, and its far easier to just do a shítkickers job and be happy in your misery.

_____-______
    please refrain from making personnal insults, thank you come again!
    _____-______

Whoah there Nelly, thats uncalled for man.

Bomb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

I worked in a computer store for 4 years, it was boring and i had to deal with arsehole customers but the staff are still my friends to this day, thats why stayed.
    I tinted lenses in a opticians factory, this involved, putting lenses into ink for a few minutes then making sure both lenses were the same shade.
    I worked in dunnes stores in the stockroom, as an effort to do something manual to see if i liked that, no feckin thanks!
    Done freelance computer maintainance for a while
    Done some courses, went to college before most of that.
    Now im working in a hospital doing PC callout tech, so i have to navigate my way around the hospital to find a broken mouse only to find out that the stupid user hasnt even got it plugged in, then theres the nuns........................................ Shudder......
    nelly called me a whining ****ing maggot,

bomb

nelly called me a whining ****ing maggot,

bomb

actually that would have been me.

and you know what, ive found that most techs who moan and complain about 'stupid' users are usually pretty crap technicians themselves. if you cant troubleshoot an unplugged mouse over the phone, you really are pathetic.

i think is pretty much your own attitude that lets you down.
    perhaps if you were amore patient and less boring person youd be fine, and then youd actually get of your ass and do something about getting the type of job you want.
    in fact, do you actually know what type of job youd like to do?

and azeezel, youre an excellent moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

methinks Boston has gotten his hands on WWM's password. It's a trolling....ummm....Wednesday (why didn't you do it yesterday - Alliteration people!!) by the looks of it. Oh dear, I'm gonna get a mouthful of abuse from him now :rolleyes:

bomb, if you don't like your job, change it. Despite any 'downturns' it's still ridiculously easy to get a job in this country.

:)

Hopefully ill be able to get my shop going in the next few months and ill be with this wrestling promotion too, and ive had offers to cohost a radio show so its all coming together. To be honest i really dont take WWman's comments to heart, cause most of his comments are usually grand but for some reason he's taken a great dislike to me lately, strange but oh well.

bomb

To be honest i really dont take WWman's comments to heart, cause most of his comments are usually grand but for some reason he's taken a great dislike to me lately, strange but oh well.

bomb

not that it matters, but the two things in life i hate in people are stupidity and laziness.
    people who moan about life and arent willing to do anything about it are my pet hates.
    you seem to fit the descritpion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by seamus
    Despite any 'downturns' it's still ridiculously easy to get a job in this country.

It is? would you mind letting the 95% of companies that wont hire me know that? :D

Cos apparently I'm not qualified enough to work as a tech at Pepsi... stupid recruitment agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hehe, maybe I just should rephrase that....

It's ridiculously easy to get a job, not the job you want

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by seamus
    Hehe, maybe I just should rephrase that....

It's ridiculously easy to get a job, not the job you want

:D

Riiiiiiiight... thats more like it! :D

*fills out McDonalds application form*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I love my job - and the same went for the last two jobs I did. Yes, they have been increasingly stressful and an astonishing amount of hard work, but it's stuff I'm interested in and challenged by, and the more effort you put in the more control you get over your own work and working conditions.

I'm now effectively my own boss on a project; every day brings new things to deal with and new ideas to think out or implement. It *could* be boring as hell but it's really up to me to make it interesting - and the same goes for most jobs really. If you have a 9-5, do the job and no more and then go home kind of attitude, then your job will be boring. If you're prepared to put a bit extra into it, you'll get a lot more out of it.

Of course, working with good people helps - there's nobody in my current company, right up to director level, who I wouldn't happily describe as a friend, which is a damn nice environment to be in.

If you have any kind of talent at all, work should be about personal satisfaction first and money second. And everyone has some kind of talent, it's just a matter of exploiting it to its best effect. Whinging about work gets you nowhere, and just gets on people's nerves - I'm 100% with Eamo on this one. Go out and do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Im with WWM and Shinji on this one.

There is nothing that makes me dislike a person faster then the whingy,moany and lazy type Iv encounted in one or two of the places Iv worked.

Why the smeg cant these ppl just fook off and get another job.If I dont dislike my job,If I dont moan and give out about it,what the fook makes them think I have the slightest interest in hearing them bitch on about there problems with the job?

Bomb - you fit the type of person Iv mentioned above 100%.If you dont like the job your doing ........

QUIT.

Its that god damm simple.Just stop going on about how miserable you are to your workmates as its just gonna make there lives in work hell.

As for the jobs you listed,well im just surprised McDonalds isnt listed there.How can you expect to get any joy from working in those crappy jobs?Like use a few brain cells in your choices and you may enjoy your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

On the Cv those jobs look golden, those explanations are just how i saw them, i have Certs in Computers and Sound engineering and loads of experience in those two areas and i could probably get a decent job in either sector, But the hours for an engineer are madness, My main problems with jobs is not that i get crap ones, its that i get bored real quick in them, the first few months are ok but then it all becomes a bit too routine.
    Why do i need to go to a GP?

Bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Then again there are lucky fukers like Shinji who land on their feet. But hell knows what he went through to get there.

Heh, I don't deny that I've been lucky, but at the same time - you make your own luck. I'd been doing this kind of work freelance for five years before I started doing it full time, and realistically that was as much hard slog as luck - for everything that works out, ten things don't and it's just a matter of keeping on pushing regardless. I've no degree or qualifications for what I do, everything on my CV is work I've actually done and real experience I've gained that way.
    How many loads did he have to swallow?

I wouldn't know what you're talking about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Why do i need to go to a GP?

Bomb

Thats just my standard clause in case my post has seman stains and the like on it. You may have caught something while reading it. Therefor you may feel ill. And this is not a medical forum. And you issues are looking like psychological**. Its not a psychiatrist practise either.

Also if it all stems from problems with relationships*** ..this is not Relate or any similar such organisation. There are no train people here to help with your problems. Dont ask your friends either.

*You may wish to consult a GP after reading that. I will hold your hand before and after the visit if it helps.

** You may wish to consult a psychiatrist.

*** You should consult a councillor or someone equally qualified.

I have been upseted. can yah tell?

What do you do Shinji?#

bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

What do you do Shinji?#

Shinji is the all knowing master of the universe. Didn't you know that?

Advertisement