Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That Win2000 printing problem I had

• 19-06-2001 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

Ye, sounds interesting. You say its in 2k itself or in the application?

share your knowledge so we may better ourselves smile.gif

original post.. http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum3/HTML/002216.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

can't find the old subject..and I'm too lazy to look too far but basically,

win2k dropping custom formatting from a program.

Generally affects pritning to a dot matrix.

Looks like it has to do with the Metafile Spooling option available in win2k. The metafile spool will not only slow down the printing but will insert it's own formatting, it wasn't defaulting to letter size paper, it was creating a double line space.

the metafile spool option is not in the actual driver itself, it seems to be an application specific.. system affecting setup. As far as I know, Word printer settings will also pop up with this metafile option.

Ok, not explained very well, but I'll explain better later on when I have more time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Sorry for the delay...

anyway, yes, this has now been tested and it works!

The windows2000 installation was seemingly dropping any custom format by the program.

It wasn't, it was actually inserting a second blank line which made the form print too large. The reason was Advanced Printing Features were enabled in the options tab of the printing dialogue in the *program* - I had been looking at the driver, and this option is only always enable/always disable there.. and is quite a ***** to find as well smile.gif

The advanced printing options are basically the exact same as the Metafile Spooling option that appeared in WinNT. Just a different name.

If you disable these in the program printing options, things go fine.
    (note: this has worked for Dot Matrix so far but the problem should not occur with a laser or deskjet in the first place).

What was throwing me was I'm used to setting hte rpinter defaults in the driver, and not the actual program..

Advertisement