Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My RAM or GeForce 2 is causeing lag in games and Windows

• 25-06-2001 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

The Problem frown.gif
    I am haveing trouble with speed on my PC.When I played a game like Half-Life,TFC or C.S I get a very shakey FPS of 15-71.Before this I was getting a very steady 71.The shakey 15-71 fps causes a kind of lag.Another problem that I have noticed is that opening folders or pragrams take alot longer to open.
    At first I thought the FPS problem was caused by my graphics card but the other problem of programs opening......well I think its RAM there.
    What I have done to try and fix this problem
    Graphics Card:
    1. I have tried reinstalling the software
    2. I have downloaded the latest drivers for it

RAM:
    1. I have opened my computer,removed the RAM and put it back in again
    The Computer
    Pentium 3 500 MHZ
    256 MB of RAM
    GeForce 2 MX SDR AGP 32MB graphics card

What the hell is wrong?
    Please help me frown.gif
    Thanx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Sounds like one of two things:

a) You have something running in the background which is slowing you up. Findfast (part of Office) is a particular b'stard for this. Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and look at the list of running processes. Generally you only need Explorer and Systray. Remove those you don't want from your start up folder and from the registry/

b) Even more likely is that your disk is over-filled. That's how machines without enough free space behave. Empty your recycle bin, delete the contents of your Windows TEMP folder and defrag for good measure. You should see a definate improvement.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Yea sounds like backround tasks to me too. Had a similar problem a few weeks ago with my own GF2 and Deus Ex.

As the above says hit ctl-alt-del and experiment with what to remove. This solved the problem on my system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Leverz

Yeah Kix is correct, from the sound of things, its the virtual memory, (free space on HD)

Clear out what Kix said, and all that other crap you have on the system wink.gif

Advertisement