Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fubbin gamecube sequals.... anything orginal coming out???

Options
  • 13-05-2002 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

just lookin at a list shinji posted for gamecube games to look forward to is it just me or is anyone else not pissed off by the amount of sequals coming out??? seems like nintendo are still milking there games feckin 10 years later.... c'mon ninty come with sumthin new
    Pikmin
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Super Mario Summer
    GC Legend of Zelda
    (possible GC port of Ocarina of Time)
    Perfect Dark 2
    Starfox Adventures
    F-Zero GC
    Fire Emblem GC
    Soul Calibur 2
    Final Fantasy title (unnamed, possibly FF Unlimited)
    Resident Evil + remakes of 2, 3, Code Veronica
    Resident Evil Zero
    Resident Evil 4
    Phantasy Star Online 2
    Sonic Adventure 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Nope

Cube is very expensive to develop for (for several reasons), and Ninty have been nasty to potential 3rd party developers so no one is doing anything new or intresting..

Add to that the fact that Microsoft and Sony have been very nice indeed to potential 3rd party developers...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I don't like the X-Box but you don't see me bitching on every thread vagga.

If its a good game, who cares whether its original or not? Whats the point in releasing a shit "original" game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well nitty might be just playing safe. Its nice to sell new type games but when you want to sell to kids go with sequals or pokemon, theres already a fan base get the cash of the kiddies. Look at how George Lucas is going to get billions off the publin making more star wars films........

Hobbes, good for you *clapping* What I said was fact in response to his question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

vaggabond, if u dont like the GC stop flaping cake hole about it, i swear its like u had a bad break up with it.

Is "Pikmin" a sequel? I don't recall seeing a game like it before.

Jesus lads, dont get too sensitive about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

pikim is one of nintendo's "kiddy" fantasy crap tape game which i have no interest in i thought nintendo were tryin to stay away from the games tha brought the n64 to doom?
    with everyone lookin forward to games like
    super smash bros meele
    pikim
    mario sunshine
    wario
    zelda etc,playstation 2 is gonna kick its arse just like the ps1 did
    which would u rather play
    halo or super monkey ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Cube is very expensive to develop for (for several reasons)

I don't see how you can single out the GC as being too much extra to develop for. True they do have larger licensing fees than Sony or Microsoft, but the difficulty in accessing the power in the PS2 adds to the time it takes to develop it, resulting in larger costs. The longer development time adds significantly more cost to develop for it.

As for the GC, it took merely 9 months to develop Rogue Leader, i'm sure the costs that saved more than made up for the licensing costs.
    Ninty have been nasty to potential 3rd party developers so no one is doing anything new or intresting..

Source?

Because co-producing Starfox with Namco, F-Zero with Sega and setting up a fund to help smaller 3rd party devs seems very inviting to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by RasTa
    pikim is one of nintendo's "kiddy" fantasy crap tape game .... blah blah ....... which would u rather play

I can answer that with entire honesty with "Super Monkey Ball". Real gamers can see past the 'childish' image of a game and see the playability lying underneath. I play games for fun, regardless of whether casual gamers like you think they look "kiddy". It shouldn't matter whether pikmin is aimed at younger games with its bright colours etc - if it's fun to play, people will buy it.

I really hope you're not a Playstation fanboy whinging about sequels... (I'm sure even you could appreciate the irony there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

pikim is one of nintendo's "kiddy" fantasy crap tape game which i have no interest in i thought nintendo were tryin to stay away from the games tha brought the n64 to doom?

Em, Pikmin looks cool to me, who cares if the game is fun to play?

Super monkey ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Super Monkey Ball - cant put the thing down *runs home to play*

I don't see how you can single out the GC as being too much extra to develop for.
    If nothing else, those small Cd's they use have to be bought from Ninty, at circa £15 a go..

When we were doing Cm XBox we could use normal DVD-R's, and we used more than a hundred of them.
    As for the GC, it took merely 9 months to develop Rogue Leader
    Im sorry I just dont believe that. maybe you had a few hundred people working on it, maybe then? I dont believe that all those graphics and the engine took that short a time. Maybe Im wrong, but from my experience of here and other games teams that seems a very time indeed. Compare your 9 months to MGS 2 which took almost 3 years.
    Because co-producing
    Simple, compare the list of 3rd party companys doping games for the Cube to the same list for the PS2 or indeed the XBox. My source is the mailing lists Im on of people who work in the games industry, making games, not just talking about them and talking with the decision makers in my own company.

I accept that the cube will get a big install base, and that some of thier games will sell huge units, just like N64 games like Golden Eye sold huge numbers. But the Playstation grew when the N64 held its own market because it got random developers making games for it, where a large percentage of Ninty's good games were either made in house or by rare (who are doing ports of their cube games to other platforms this time we will be all glad to hear)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Sico

Real gamers can see past the 'childish' image of a game and see the playability lying underneath. I play games for fun, regardless of whether casual gamers like you think they look "kiddy". It shouldn't matter whether pikmin is aimed at younger games with its bright colours etc - if it's fun to play, people will buy it.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "Real gamers"... I have the exact same feelings towards the gamecube as Rasta does. I bought a gamecube yesterday and was really disappointed in the games that were there... mostly kiddie games like Luigi's mansion and Super Monkey Ball. Its like Harry Potter vs Tolkien.

good point..

Real gamers are not people who say l33t and play quake over night...

Games business turns over more money than the movie business, all kinds of people play games...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Oh no Vagga you're wrong. If you don't like Super Monkey Ball you're not a real gamer.

I suppose I'll take up knitting now. Or gardening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Moan, moan, moan..... the gamecube has this kiddie game, the gamecube has that kiddie game. SO WHAT. I am in no way a kid, I have a son, if the games are good who cares. I see this as a lot of other console owners be it PS2 or Xbox trying to run down the new kid on the block.
    No one is going to have all the best games..... unless you own all the consoles, simple fact.

Also the term 'kiddie game' what does that mean..... Tellytubbies running around doing shag all. Then to make an adult game, give the teletubbies Plazma Rifles and let them waste each other.

Let the GC have it;s time to settle in and start bitching then, yes I do own a GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

If playing quake stops you from being a real gamer what makes you one?

Playing myst over night?

I think sico means that it really doesnt matter what a game looks like. Its gameplay that counts i.e: someone who can appreciate a game for that is what makes a "real gamer"? Sico?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sico
    I really hope you're not a Playstation fanboy whinging about sequels... (I'm sure even you could appreciate the irony there)
    im a dreamcast man!!,me hates sony

but seriously super money ball bores the crap outta me i dont see the point of it,probaly like the way i like champ manager and other ppl dispise it
    i wanna get a gamecube but im dissapointed if the games tha are coming out are gonna be all tha bright colours crap,meself likes a bit of action in games and i dont find rolling sum ball around a game tha i could play for 10 hours solid
    games i likes are shenmue,resident evil,jet set radio,spiderman etc
    i wanna invest in a gamecube but i want more games like the resident evil series there bringing out cause they look amazing and my main point is will there be???
    or will it be the same n64/snes/nes games re-hashed and updated
    and pikimin i just cant stand them games for sum reason
    anyway enough with the waffle.... i think xtra-vision will be renting out gamecube games soon,they aint gonna do x-box the bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

anyway enough with the waffle.... i think xtra-vision will be renting out gamecube games soon,they aint gonna do x-box the bastards

That's actually a major consideration for me, I wouldn't buy a console game without playing it first, because they cost so much, so being able to rent them is a huge advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

and pikimin i just cant stand them games for sum reason

You're not getting "pikimin" confused with pokemon are you? Cos pokemon has had previous games, pikmin hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Shred

is it just me or is anyone else not pissed off by the amount of sequals coming out

What's wrong with sequels? If a franchise has been a hit, why wouldn't/shouldn't a company capitalise on it?

If they are continuing on with a franchise, then the previous games were obviously a success, meaning punters must have like them too

So, everybody wins

I personally am looking forward to a few sequels of games I've played before (multiformat)

If a game has had a 'life changing affect' on me, of course I'm gonna want a sequel (Half Life, Zelda, DeusEx and even Mario! for instance)

The PC has had sequels and will continue to have

Nintendo have had sequels and will continue to have

Sony have had sequels and will continue to have

And Microsoft (if they're still in the Console business:D ) will undoubtedly have sequels for Halo etc (rumours of Halo2 already circulating)

Once they're not just a rehash for a quick buck, why not

Originally posted by rymus

Super Monkey Ball - cant put the thing down *runs home to play*

After playing SMB for a while I can see why it sells so well. TBH it wouldn't of been my first choice of game, but everyone in the house likes SMB.

It is also pretty addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Jabba, that's exactly what I meant (although tbh part of the reason I used the phrase "real gamer" is because I'm a natural born sh1t-stirrer ;) )

I'm not afraid of my mates or whatever seeing me playing a "kiddy" game. I'll play a game if I enjoy it, whatever its apparent target audience.

can anyone answer my question of wether there will be any games for gamecube with a darker theme??? resident evil type feel
    or is it just tha and perfect dark with good owl elvis in it
    is it a sin or sumthin to want a game with a mature story line??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by Hobbes
    everyone in the house likes SMB.

It is also pretty addictive.
    *s*******

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

can anyone answer my question of wether there will be any games for gamecube with a darker theme???

Yes. Quite a lot of cross platform stuff (Shadowman 2 springs to mind) will of course be a bit darker and more "adult", while some second-party stuff is already stacking up that way - Eternal Darkness, for example.

And, er, the Resident Evil games. Even if you've played them all so far, the remake of the original is stunning (and totally different - new locations, new puzzles, new monsters...) and there's Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 0, both completely new titles, on the way.

Frankly though, if you can't play a game because it doesn't have blood and gore in it, well... you need to stop bandying around words like "adult" and "mature" and concentrate on growing up a bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Saw some screenies of Res Evil on the GC, looks amazing.

Advertisement