Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ISP running V. 92 in Ireland?

Options
  • 13-05-2002 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Free or flat rate?

or even just the V44 or whatever part of the spec which gives faster download for HTML pages/poorly compressed content?
    Not worried about the net on hold stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. It's not worth the development costs. Free or flat rate? What country are you living in?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

would love flat rate... if only.... That way i could piss on ADSL and Sat internet would be perfectly fine since its only 1 way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I know Flat rate is a mythical beast in Ireland but Christ even Spain has V. 92.

I suspect that they don't want to implement V. 92 is because the line isn't dropped while Net on hold is working.

I was thinking that if I had access to Flat Rate and V. 92 I could live quite happily with Internet by Satellite access instead of DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

my thoughts exactly mailman!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

no irish isp's support v.92
    v.92 dosent improve download rates at all
    all it does is improve the upload from 33.6k to 56k which is not really an improvement for Joe Soap interweb user

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by StrataGIST
    v.92 dosent improve download rates at all
    all it does is improve the upload from 33.6k to 56k which is not really an improvement for Joe Soap interweb user
    v.92 does two really useful things. First, connects are much faster. Second, with v.44 the compression is improved so HTML pages might download faster. Of course compression on the connection won't help you at all if downloading MP3, JPEG, GIF, RPM, or any other form of pre-compressed content.

Advertisement