Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny old server motherboards + CPUs

• 18-06-2001 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know much about where to source some old harware from companies? Anywhere they might be throwing out stuff....
    I wouldn't mind mucking about with a few bits and pieces, try and put together a small Linux firewall or file server foa a house or something...just a small practice project in networking you understand, not to be used for any 'unworthy' purposes. smile.gif
    Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Try the bins in Dell and Gateway.You would obviously have to contact them first, but they will give you old stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Have a look here.. http://www.rdc.co.uk/shop.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Chernobyl, are you serious? Sound if u are.
    I'll be rooting through the rubbish outside Dell so...... smile.gif

I'm looking at that link atm....I'll get back to u on it.. smile.gif

well it costs them money to get the old stuff dumped, they will let you take what they dont want, except hard-drives, data protection and what not.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

Class...I live in Galway, so teh closest thing to me would be that Dell Factory in Limerick that just shutdown (I think)....might
    If its still open (I'm not sure about that) I'll call down soem day soon so.
    Do you reckon taht smaller private PC assmblers would have old stuff?

• Advertisement

From what i have experienced, the smaller they are, the more tight fisted, you may be lucky though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by [FCA]SyxPak:
    Does anyone know much about where to source some old harware from companies? Anywhere they might be throwing out stuff....
    </font>

SyxPak, I might be able to get you a few small bits n' pieces that we're throwing out if you give me a shout via email during the week. I'm in Galway so that should make things easier for you. smile.gif

Sound! Any sort of stuff would be handy, trying to get a box or two together to play C&C1 and RA1 in the coming year in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Aye, i live near intel and i know lots of lads that have had a good route for stuff and found fully working web cams, mobo's ect..

eheh, I'm just looking forward to getting a bit of old kit to mess around with. Are most of Dell's mobos cutom jobs? would i need special drivers or what?

• Advertisement

yeah, those dell mobo will probably have onboard sound and video, drivers should not be a problem but finding a case to fit might be.

Britany Spears Looking incredible

I don't plan on using a case. smile.gif

i ahve a nice Milk crate instead, plenty of air flow anyways wink.gif

Advertisement