Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More police on streets ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Resist, you can start a discussion on anything to do with the GE (and that includes "More police on streets ?"), but please don't just copy your posts from elsewhere? If this develops into a proper discussion (and I would like your opinions, not your video footage) I'll leave it, otherwise it goes.
    Personally I think we do need more Gardaí on the streets, but not as demonstrated on last Monday. They need to enforce the law and enforce it fairly (when was the last time you saw a motorist blocking the footpath clubbed over the head)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

No we don't need more gardaí. All we need is proper law enforcement and appropriate punishments. More gardaí on the streets won't matter a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The best way to reduce crime is to tackle the causes not the perpetrators. For example having lots of extra prison spaces for convicts, only for them to return to the exact same environment that turned them to crime in the first instance when they are released, is not going to solve the crime problem. Additional prison space is needed, but that is only part of the solution. Why are adolescents joyriding in the first place? Why are people turning to drugs? Why do people feel it necessary to mug and rob people or steal from peoples homes? Addressing these root causes of crimes will go far further toward stopping crime than additional Gardaí, stiffer sentencing and additional prison and young offenders places. They will also save a lot more money needed for the results of crime that could then be spent in other areas. Time and money invested in these areas and in these people will save a lot of money in the long term and help reduce crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I agree that we should tackle the root cause of crime, as a part of the overall shakeup of the system, while makking sure there are enough spaces to keep those whoare conviced for the whole of there sentance.

But I detect a note of 'oh they come from a deprived background' liberal bleeding heart in your tone.
    (I could be wrong)

Let me say this, i came from an area where a high proportion of my peers did drugs, stole, became armed robbers, etc

I chose not to rob. I chose to work.

It is not good enough to blame the enviornment they grew up in. This is a CHOICE for these people, and they should suffer the consequences of there choices.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by Flukey
    The best way to reduce crime is to tackle the causes not the perpetrators.
    No it's the worst way.
    For example having lots of extra prison spaces for convicts, only for them to return to the exact same environment that turned them to crime in the first instance when they are released, is not going to solve the crime problem.
    I agree that the prison system badly needs reform. My proposal is the construction of slave labour camps where we can put criminals to work.

[Victor]Less abuse please Biffa Bacon[Victor]

• Advertisement
Advertisement