Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizzarre happenings with a P166.... Win98

• 25-06-2001 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

May or may not help, but I've noticed in the past that a lot of NICs are detected as NE2000s just because they're "NE2000 compatible". You probably don't have an NE2000.

Having this generic driver often stops the card's PnP features from working correctly and makes it harder to solve resource conflicts. I've had this experience before with old D-Link DE220s. Try getting the correct drivers for your NIC, see if that helps.

K

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, only one problem there. It doesn't have a NIC and it never had one installed.

In fact, to the best of my knowledge that pc has never even had so much of a whiff of NIC...

Something to look out for in the future though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Erum...

I see. Not quite what I thought.

Here's another suggestion - boot in safe mode, go into the Device Manager in the System control panel and remove all non-functioning/ spurious/ non-existant devices.

See if that helps.

If your PS/2 to serial converter more than a passive connector?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Milkman

had the same kinda problem when I went to install a webcam on girlfriend's Da's Pc - is yours by any chance a PackardBell?
    Just kept giving grief, when I finally managed to resolve the conflicts and get the USB card working it wouldn't do anything with the Cam (system said it was there but cam software said differently) - how much RAM have you- less than 32mb won't sniff the cam.

In the end I just built him a new system(tanxs to Bubbles).
    I know this is **ck all help but atleast take solice in the fact that you are not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,460 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not sure, but maybe its just too much for an older machine?

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

lol, got it sorted...

pci slot 1, not working,
    pci slot two working but a bit of metal or dirt was stopping full connect.
    Sound card was switched to off.
    the serial adapter was using comport 1 (why I don't know).

Works grand now.... weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

and that's why mac users are able to sneer at PC users on the street, but they will never experience the joy and sense of wonder and amazement whena system actually works

Win98 is SE I think....

anyway,

Installing a webcam. Needed a USB port, got a USBtoPCI adapter UC-110, don't know the manufacturer (KVM I think, but I can't find it on their website).

Webcam is Creative Videoblaster Webcam 3 \ + (wdm) (USB)

Soundcard (not fully installed, but just got the driver for it)
    Creative ES 1371 (PCI)

and finally, Mouse:
    Logitech PS\2 , no ps2 port so it uses a PS\2 to serial adapter.

Now, on installation of 98, NE2000 failed to configure properly. It won't disable either. There is no modem, nor has the machine ever been on a network. Will reinstall of NE2000 module solve this?

Whenever new hardware is installed, the PC dropps the mouse. As in kaput, mouse no longer works. Even after reboot. No matter what IRQ or setting you use on the new hardware. - this happened with the soundcard.
    Win98 wouldn't even detect the mouse on restart. Had to remove the soundcard and then it detected the mouse (oh, and once it detected that there was no mouse - we had removed it - but when we went to install one following the instructions, it went on and started but ignored the mouse. On restart teh mouse was gone again). Took out the soundcard, tried a different slot, same, took it out completely, mouse was detected and installed fine.

USB card won't detect either, tried different ports.

Also, LED on webcam doesn't light up, on this version, it that a power light or an "active" light? Should the USB card not still supply the power to the cam even if not properly installed (but physically there?)

Any help would be welcome.

Oh, Com2 had an IRQ conflict, switched it from 3 to four, and it dropped the mouse, then re-detected the mouse.

there are no other conflicts in the system but Advanced Power Management has an error Code 10 (whatever that is).

help?

Advertisement