Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NT Problem (Logon )

Options
  • 13-05-2002 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Lats week I got a job to install antivirus software on a few nt workstations, Most went well except for five little feckers!
    Antivirus wouldn't load.
    So In my wisdom I decided to do it a different way I'd make a clone of a nice well installed hard drive and then copy all the contents to the hard drive that wouldn't accept the antivirus. All this was done using Ghost. Anyway the antivirus is now installed on all machines now the problem is that I cant logon on to the server. I'm getting the "A Domain Controller for your domain could not be contacted" ect ect......
    So where did I stuff up ?
    easy fix ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Were the graphics cards drivers on all machines the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Are the network cards in all machines the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

when you cloned the drives, did you then chge the names, and the domains?
    what you have to do is change (or rechange) thye names of all systems. delete the old system names from your server, add in the new ones, and then try adding the new systems onto tthe domain.
    you should have no problems.
    either that or all 5 systems are disconnected from the network, in which case you should be shot for not doing basic troubleshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Ugh,

Leave the domain,

Change the computer names

Run GhostWalker to change the Sid's

Reboot and rejoin the domain.

Might have to remove the old computer names from the Server Manager aswell (since the server remembers MAC addresses from ur network cards).

Too early for a more detailed answer. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Let's try the obvious.

Do you have a domain controller on your network? If you don't then you should be setting them to workgroups.

Second. Can you ping the domain controller? If you can't then you have your network settings wrong

If they aren't the problem then it's probably that the domain controller has a different machine ID in it's database because you reinstalled NT. The easy way to fix this is to delete the machine record from the domain controller and get your domain admin to re-register it.

... just read the thread, basically what WWMan said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Thanks Lads for the very helpful info,
    But!!!!!
    By Jaysus Im going to kill the cleaner!!!
    Heres what happened. After I cloned the 8 hdd as I said no domain could be found ect ect...
    I left it that evening and had a think about it at home. Decided the next morning that I'd do full formats and reinstall NT, At this stage I have 4 machines on the go all going fine, even though I was going to format all 8 I said I'll just try booting up one of the 4 remaining cloned machines when low and behold it logged in and no problem, Im scratchin me head how the feic? Then this lady walks in (The cleaner) Hello there , How are ya ? Good says I. Your fixing the computers them , Thats right I am, Are you going to be doing anything with that big machine up in room 8 she said, I said no thats the server I dont need to touch It. Grand says she. I pluged it back in for ya anyway. Ya what ? yeah I was hovering in that room yesterday and unpluged it.

Shes dead now !

The End!

Moral of the story
    Don't feic with the workstations when the cleaner is hovering the server room

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

:D

Happened me once. I ended up locking the door and keeping the key.

Advertisement