Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Father Ted Funney

• 13-05-2002 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I know im going against the grain and all things Irish but who really thinks Father Ted was really all that funny, I really never got into it, its seemed so very senseless and in truth a complete lame atempt at trying badly to be funny,

It tryed too hard to be funney but ended just sad! I know it had a following but god help us all it did was poke fun (usually in very bad taste) at the irish, may be thats the only true reason why it did so well in England!

Anyway what did you think of father ted, please let me know!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Philistine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Demandred
    I
    I know it had a following but god help us all it did was poke fun (usually in very bad taste) at the irish, may be thats the only true reason why it did so well in England!

Oh dear chip on shoulder methinks...:rolleyes:

The reason Farther Ted was, still is funny is because it hit all the right buttons if you appricate absurdist humour, as I and millions do, peeps in Britian were'nt laughing at the Irish they were laughing at a set of characters and situations which happened to have an Irish aspect 'cos the writers/directors were Irish. RTE should have made "Ted" but they were'nt asked because they would'nt have had the bottle, proberly.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

RTE actually turned it down. and to reiterate my previous statement:

philistine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Father McDougal was genius, I must say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

do you mean Dougal Maguire(spelling)

and yes it was funny. extreemly funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dr.Seagull

McDougal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

OMFG were you taking a piss when God was handing out the sense of humours!!!
    Father Ted is prob. my fav show of all time!
    IMHo it is a piece of comic/satarical genius, and im not exaggerating.
    Never a bad episode! my god my mind is boggling that sum1 doesnt like father ted!
    So many rememberable moments
    'Dougal how do u become a priest anyway, send away 10 crisp packets?'

or

When Ted turns off the light, there's a wolf cry he turns the light back on and dougal's in his bed!

Hmmm maybe i could supposedly perhaps see your point of an annoying/silly side to dougal/jack, but let it go and enoy it!

It like simpsons the more u watch it the funnier it is, there are some very clever jokes in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...that if you can't laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at anyone else.

Can't remember who said it off-hand.

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

Originally posted by Demandred
    I know im going against the grain........Anyway what did you think of father ted, please let me know!!!!
    BLASPHEMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To hell with you! Father ted is one of the funniest shows ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

I shot JR guy robbin post office "its mine anyway just didnt' want to fill out all those forms" :D classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

yeah or "Father, I've just killed a man" "Yes, yes we'll talk about it later..." :D
    hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

its a classic show no matter how many times u watch it still makes u laugh!!!
    so many funny moments!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Was Father Ted Funney

is the pope a catholic?
    does a bear sh*t in the woods?
    are you insane?????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Father Ted was one of the worst shows ever, okay maybe not ever but it was not funny imo.

It was just stupid, it tried to be Fawlty Towers at one stage, nothing can ever compare to Fawlty Towers.

If RTE had made Father Ted it would of been shot down as making another crap Sit-com.

By the way RTE were not offered it at all. And thats according to the writers of the show themselves.

They went on the make Black Books which is so much better.

There are others out there that dont like the obvious comedy that was father ted.

Also when it first appeared on British TV i read an article in the Sunday Tribune which completely critised the show then it a few months later said it was really good if that not going with the crowd i dont know what is.

It is also repeat too much on N2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

my favourite quote...

"the only rabbit around here Dougal is the one sitting in your head, working the controls..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭simon_partridge

So is life in Ireland really like it is portrayed on Craggy Island then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Originally posted by lafortezza
    my favourite quote...

"the only rabbit around here Dougal is the one sitting in your head, working the controls..."

How about this one from the man himself:

"That's the thing about Catholicism; it's so vague, and no-one knows what it's really about"

My favourite bits were:
    • Ted Crilly's dreams of the high-life, complete with sequinned suits
    • The episode where they give up drink/cigarettes/rollerskating
    • The episode where Father Jack gets hairy and sent to a home and they get Brendan Grace as a replacement playing drum-n-bass and drilling holes in the walls
    • Kicking Bishop Brennan in the arse
    • Father Jack in the tree hanging from the parachute just feet from the drinks trolley from the plane (which was on the other parachute)
    Gadget :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Ahh, but seriously lads I have to agree with Demandred......slap!......slap!......ok I've been cured :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Originally posted by Dr.Seagull
    McDougal?

I can't remember the frigging names! *weep*

My favourite moment has to be when Ghrahame Norton is singing Bohemian Rahpsody in the cave :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Quit it Demandred u silly bugger :D, first it was you and your ANTI-AC/DC thread which was posted with the sole purpose to inspire muppetry, and now this father ted thread, which is much the same.
    grrrr.

Like i said before, i know who you are and where you live and i wont hesitate to go to your house in chestnut grove and beat u up. :D

bye now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The best bit was in the one where "paul" the boring priest comes and teds in the bath and your man is on the loo beside him. Priceless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Sheesh Elmo... Black Books better than Father Ted? Get out. Dylan Moran is one of my favourite comedians, but Black Books was only occasionally funny and simply cannot compare with Father Ted.

Ah yes, such memories...

"Oh no Ted! It's a big pile of boxes in the middle of the road!"

"Oh look at Mary there, hasn't she got a lovely bottom" *Ted, don't you think that's a bit offensive?* *Oh yes, sorry* "Of course, they all have lovely bottoms!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Best non-cartoon comedy ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

My lovely horse running through the field,
    Where are you going with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?
    I want to shower you with sugarlumps,
    And ride you over fences,
    Polish your hooves every single day,
    And bring you to the horse dentist,

My lovely horse,
    You're a pony no more,
    Running around with a man on your back,
    Like a train in the night,
    Like a train in the night.
    from - http://www.father-ted.co.uk/pages/horse.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

How could I forget My Lovely Horse - I have an MP3 of both versions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Father Ted was funny, is funny and will always be funny! You'll always get a larf out of the re-runs no matter how many times you watch em.

[comicstoreowner]Worst troll ever![/comicstoreowner]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Father Ted wasn't funny, it was fecking hilarious. Drop dead, my stomach is going to collapse, I can't breath type hilarious. Who can say "My lovely horse" without a smile.

And it's also profoundly meaningful too in terms of philosophy. Father Jacks holy trinity was "Feck, drink, girls". Yes it sounds crude and simplistic at the outset, but the hidden truth belies it's rude exterior. After all if you cut out all the stupid shite in life that's what's left... hmm well maybe Feck, football, drink, girls.

My two favourite all time bits where the ones where Mrs Doyle consistly could not get down off the window sill and Father Ted trying to explain the concept of perspective to Dougal (these are very small, and those, are fair away.)

I like cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

father ted is absolutely BRILLIANT , i love that shop they goes into with john and mary beating the living sh*t out of each other , and the best one was when they went on holiers with your man graeme norton doing river dance in the caravan ............jaysus that was so funny . i will never tire of that line "the money was just resting in my account ".without a doubt its just brilliant .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

so many brilliant episodes

the Eurovision episode was a classic
    then there was the one with Graham Norton dancing in the caravan
    the dancing priest
    the episode where the holy stone of clonriggort was being upgraded

the list is endless