Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Father Ted Funney

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Father Ted is like the Simpsons-you can see the same episode a billion times but you satill laugh as much as you did when you first saw it.I must have seen the caravan episode a dozen odd times now but i still laugh myself to pieces at Fr Noel and his singalongs[and his Bohemian Rhapsody rendition on last nights caves ep is a classic].The writers of Fr Ted really did successfully catch the inanity of your average Irish town or rural parish.Think about it-we all know friendly but occasionally dangerous ppl like Tom in his I shot JR shirt.We all know old women like Mrs Doyle with an unhealthy devotion to their religion[such as Mrs Doylke going away for the masochistic punishments of that holy mountain where they chase you down bearfoot with sticks].Its alot more intelligent than other comedys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Originally posted by Elmo
    Father Ted was one of the worst shows ever, okay maybe not ever but it was not funny imo.

It was just stupid, it tried to be Fawlty Towers at one stage, nothing can ever compare to Fawlty Towers.

If RTE had made Father Ted it would of been shot down as making another crap Sit-com.

By the way RTE were not offered it at all. And thats according to the writers of the show themselves.

They went on the make Black Books which is so much better.

There are others out there that dont like the obvious comedy that was father ted.

Also when it first appeared on British TV i read an article in the Sunday Tribune which completely critised the show then it a few months later said it was really good if that not going with the crowd i dont know what is.

It is also repeat too much on N2.

I don't know why nobody has ripped the **** out of you yet, because you sure as hell desrve it. It never tried to be faulty towers. They were completely different. Have you ever seen either of these programs?
    RTE didn't make it so that's not relevant.
    And who the **** are "they"? RTE, because they sure as **** didn't make Black Books. Also, Black Books isn't better than Fr. Ted. I'll admit the first episode is pretty damn goo, but it's not consistent.
    And who gives a **** what the sunday tribune say. The day I trust a review from a newspaper is the day I stop lauging at Father Ted, and I can't see that happening any time soon. And have you ever heard that some newspapers have more than one member of staff? Opinions differ, but some opinions are just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Deadpan surreal lunacy. Possibly the best sitcom ever. Thats personally speaking. If you didnt get the humour, thats your loss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

dougal ruled!
    and the maid she was also brilliant
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

The episode with the rabbits was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

"aaahhh look at all the rabbits!"
    *30 or so rabbits in the room*
    "what? where?... oh wow!"

"hairy japanese bastards!"

"whats that father?"
    *pointing at rabbit poo*
    "thats eh...cavaire. you know,its not everyday we have a bishop around,so we thought we'd get the cavaire out!"
    "so father,what you mean to tell me is that you spread cavaire out on the floor, and want me to get down on my knees and eat it?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

i was looking at father ted the other night and it reminded me how brilliant it is, ..........I DONT BELIEVE IT that was so bloody brilliant , aw sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Okay the one where the bishop came to stay was very falwty toweresque.

I just dont like the show i was looking forward to this great comedy and i feel that i didnt get it.

Dermot morgan was wasted on it he is much funnier then father ted ever was. (By that i mean The character Father Ted who is not a great character, no one ever refers to him, its alway jack, dogual or Mrs Doyle and rightly so.)

I like Mrs Doyle i thought her character was great and played by a great actress Pauline Mclynn (Ride Me Side ways, great line)

And yes Graham Norton was great in it when ever he appeared.

I liked Dougla's Stupidity.

I hated Father Jack there are only a certain amount of time that Drink Feak Girls is funny (And its old after the first episode)

In other words it was not my Cup of Tea, Ah go on go on go on go on go on go on. Look no thank you i stick to something funny.

Note that it had some great moments and lines but not enough to get to many laughs, out of it unless you are drunk.

Black books is created by The same creaters of Father Ted and it is made for C4 and it was never given an option to RTE because you make more money in Britian with tv.

Also i dont find the jokes offencive to The irish and i dont realy care what the Catholic Church thinks of it.

I just think it is over rated and not funny.

Sorry but everyone has an opinion and that is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BTBB

The one awful thing about Father Ted was that they never got a chance to make the film. He died before they had a chance. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

spider baby....lol..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Visiting boishop: have you been having any trouble with your faith father

Doughal : well you know the way jesus is supposed to have come down and die for our sins well thats the bit I dont believe

Or
    Ted: Facists dress in black and tell people what to do, Preists dress in black and .................

By the way black books is also hillarious but not as good as ted

• Advertisement
Advertisement