Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

state of terror tonight at 9 on channel 4

• 13-05-2002 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

about jenin and promises to be eye opening to say the least

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

I watched it and I have to say there was no particularly compelling evidence of Israeli human rights abuses. There were allegations but they were unsupported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭potlatch

Anyone know if it's going to be repeated at any stage this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    I watched it and I have to say there was no particularly compelling evidence of Israeli human rights abuses. There were allegations but they were unsupported.
    Damn right. I didn't believe a word of what those "eyewitnesses" say they saw. Shifty eyed liars the lot of them. They probably wrecked their own houses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Really, you must have turned off before the amnesties international rep came on, and ex British army officer brought in to evaluate Israeli clams that they veiled the centre of jenin in some kinda military action

He said and quote " to destroy buildings in a urban enjoinment is a sound military strategy," but that he believed the buildings where destroyed after the militants had surrendered, to punish the people of jenin for not surrendering. He also mentioned that to Arabs the home is the more important thing and the Israelis knew this when they destroyed it. That it took several days to do what the Israelis had done and that it occurred in the 5 days between the time the militants surrendered (day 9 ) and the time the press was allowed in.

The Israelis response to this was that the homes where empty when they were knocked: it they where empty why knock them? I thought the point was to kill the militants in the buildings, if the buildings didn't have militants then what need was their to know them. This is a primary example of Israel being caught out in a lie.

Perhaps the more telling quote of what exactly the Israelis did was this the army response in which they stated "jenin is in the state is now, because the people refused to surrender"

You say no wars crimes here committed, jenin is a camp of some 13,000 people, not all could have been combatants, yet they where all declared such, this is a crime.

Originally posted by Von

Damn right. I didn't believe a word of what those "eyewitnesses" say they saw. Shifty eyed liars the lot of them. They probably wrecked their own houses too.
    Yes there were allegations but there was no independent confirmation of what happened. It would be unfair to the Israelis surely to simply accept the Palestinians' version of events?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by potlatch
    Anyone know if it's going to be repeated at any stage this week?
    I don't know but I doubt it. Documentaries are hardly ever repeated unless they're particularly ground-breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭bobsmith833

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon

Yes there were allegations but there was no independent confirmation of what happened. It would be unfair to the Israelis surely to simply accept the Palestinians' version of events?
    True, we don't really know anything. But the reason for there being no independent confirmation is that the Israelis wouldn't let the UN observers in. That looks pretty suspicious to me...

Originally posted by Boston
    He said and quote " to destroy buildings in a urban enjoinment is a sound military strategy," but that he believed the buildings where destroyed after the militants had surrendered, to punish the people of jenin for not surrendering. He also mentioned that to Arabs the home is the more important thing and the Israelis knew this when they destroyed it. That it took several days to do what the Israelis had done and that it occurred in the 5 days between the time the militants surrendered (day 9 ) and the time the press was allowed in.
    This was just a hunch on his part, he couldn't prove anything for sure.
    The Israelis response to this was that the homes where empty when they were knocked: it they where empty why knock them?
    Because those houses were booby-trapped.
    You say no wars crimes here committed, jenin is a camp of some 13,000 people, not all could have been combatants, yet they where all declared such, this is a crime.
    They weren't all declared combatants.

Advertisement