Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd regions

Options
  • 13-05-2002 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

hi yall,
    if this is already asked can somebody point me in the right direction please. I have just bought a dvd player and have realised that all dvds have "regions" on them. Mine only plays european regions. Is there a way i can make my player play all regions as the web based sellers of dvds sell all different region dvds.

thanks
    mo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

first of all whats the name/brand of the player?

either post that up.. or just check on google for "brandx modelnum region free"

depending on the brand, making the player region free could either involve a simple few button presses on the remote, a firmware upgrade (via a burnt cd), or an additional chip that needs to be soldered onto the board...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

its a grundig home cinema system. one of the ones dixons were selling for €300 and odd euro over christmas.
    mo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Grundigs can me chipped to play all regions ,and some can use a special remote code to do it .
    post the exact part number of the DVD player and i check for you.
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

On this subject does anybody no where I can get firmware for a Samsung DVD-rom SD-616 F000?

the number that is on the front of the dvd is GVD620HT. I think that is the model number is that what you need? thanks for your help
    mo

• Advertisement

seems your in luck today mr mocar (if that is your real name):
    Grundig GDV-620HT
    Use The Following Instructions To Make Your DVD Player Region Free!

To convert this player to multi-Region mode follow these steps:

Open the the player drawer

Press 9, 8, 1 and 7 on the Remote

You will now be in the hidden menu where you can change the Region from 1 to 6 by pressing Enter on the Remote. Selecting 9 sets it to Region free

You can also disable Macrovision from this screen

If your TV does not support NTSC, you can also set the output to PAL from this screen

its ms. mocar to you :) . Thanks for all your help will try that now.
    mo

thanks that worked like a dream. now i can buy other region dvds.
    mo

good stuff .. just remember to thank google too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 marsey

Does anybody know (Kali) can this be done to a Toshiba SD/100E?
    This is my first post.
    marsey

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Sorry marsey but your out of luck. Toshiba players have to be chipped to allow multi-region play and there are no known simple(remote) hacks for them.

aye toshiba dont have an easy hack unfortunaly..
    if you really require it to be region free tho, dvdchips.co.uk do have the chip for that model..

For the Samsung DVD

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/news.htm

its in there read the instructions .
    Kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Does DVD regions matter on a PC. (i.e. I heard that you can't change the region more than 5 times, on the 5th try you are stuck with that region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

yes on a pc you can change your region settings only 5 times. there are some programs out there like region killer and dvd genie that may help you to change the setting more than that.

You may however have to update you firmware on you dvd rom. This is because newer models have the region coding inbuilt into them. update the firmware with a region free version and it is sweet thereafter

You can get software like DVD Genie which let you have unlimited access to your DVD's region code

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

There's a utility called Region Killer specificaly designed with PC DVD players in mind.

EDIT: Beaten by Bullman :)

Does firmware mean software? Where would you get the region free version?

Yeah Firmware comes in the form of software which you run and it updates the chip on your DVD drive. Rather like a BIOS flash.

Just do a google search for your DVD drive model or post here and some accomodating person will do if for you.

http://perso.club-internet.fr/farzeno/firmware/news.htm

Go here for any firmware you need.
    has instructions for all models .
    updated a lot too
    kdja

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 marsey

Thats a pity. Thanks for your help anyway. looks like ill have to get it chipped.:(

This is such hard work.
    It seems there is no firmware patch for the sd-616 f000 but there is for the f001 or the sd-616 b f000.
    Tis not fair.

Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163, I have downloaded DVD Genie, but a bit worried that it might bust up my DVD drive.

100% successful flash thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163, I have downloaded DVD Genie, but a bit worried that it might bust up my DVD drive.

it wont... it'll just twiddle with your DVD player SOFTWARE's settings.

--

Anyone know if theres a way to make the DVD players LiDL were selling on the cheap recently multi region? Unfortunately they're fixed as R2. It's an "SM Electronics SuperVision 2500"...

[edit:]found it! yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭jem

Hi i have a jvc digital cimema system THS11 region 2.
    santa has through amazone usa a powerrangers dvd from the usa.
    I assume he wont be able to watch it as it is region 1 :mad: how can I come around it, whenre would i get a code to make it work.
    Likewise will it play on his ps2 or how do i get it to work there.

I have to say that IMHO it is a treeiable that these regional things are out there and should be against the law due to comp.
    james

Advertisement