Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who hates Eircom, and why?

Options
  • 13-05-2002 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Ok we all bitch about eircom, but who has genuine complaints?

Could we use this thread to throw around common problems
    people have with eircom, and what they did to solve them.

My moan;
    About 20 odd years ago, we got a telephone line installed,
    mountmellick, co. laois.
    About 5 years ago, we got a pc, with a 56k modem.
    The most i ever connected at was 26.4k.
    About 2 days ago, my internet would disconnect for no reason
    and if i was lucky enough to connect, the speed was a whooping
    8k.
    Firstly i called my isp, Esatfusion - Nolimits, while on the call i
    noticed alot of static on the line, "theres your problem".
    Called up 1901, got talking to some guy, he told me he would
    check the line and call me back.
    He called me back and said there IS a fault in your line and we
    will have someone out to you, i also found out i was on a carrier
    line.

Now who knows what a carrier line is?
    A carrier line in so many words is a PSTN (ordinary phone line)
    thats been devided
    up with your neighbours

Who is on a carrier line?
    I'm told by my "local exchange guy" (tom) 100,000+ people are
    on carrier lines, "and they dont have any problems"

How do you get off your carrier line?
    You give your "local exchange guy" (tom) a F*CK*NG BL*W-J0B

I was talking to tom, he says "What can i do?" we dont have the
    cable, so you have to be on that line, there is nothing i can do.

So, i had a cunning plan...... Eircom are working very hard to
    sell "eircom high speed" so i called them up and expressed my
    interest in getting this bastardised isdn.
    She said
    "Oh yes sir, eircom high speed is available to you in your area"
    I said
    "Oh good, i wish to subscribe (heh heh heh)"
    "but does it matter that im on a carrier line"
    she said
    "ohhhhh a carrier line, call up 1901, ask for a supervisor, tell them
    you were turned down for high speed coz your on a carrier line"

I did that, i spoke with maura, "she said its all about your "lcoal
    exchange guy" (tom) if he told you he cant do it, he cant.

which completes the cycle...

top 5 most improtant people in eircom

5. Eircom share holders

4. Eircom Sales people

3. Eircom tech support people

2. Eircom tech support supervisors

and at number 1, the most important person in eircom

1. "local exchange guy" (tom)

My questions & queries today resulted in "local exchange guy"
    (tom) getting 3 calls about the same person, in the same house,
    with the same problem, that was "out of his control"

So i know, tom doesnt like me... so what do i do?

Is it really all down to tom...... where does tom get his orders from, and whats his number?

I know a guy that used to work for ntl, he said that its illegal by
    european standards to split lines like that! (i dont know if i
    believe that, but when it comes to privacy, and cross talk i can
    see why)

I Want 54k internet
    I Want Isdn
    I Want ADSL
    I Want DSL

Surely i can have one of these?
    But i cant have any of these without a direct line to the exchange

SO HOW DO I BULLY MY WAY INTO THE EXCHANGE, OR IS IT
    COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Well SAID!, I wrote an email to the Taoiseach:

Dear Webmaster,

Can you please forward this important email to the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern.

Dear Taoiseach,

I am 16 years old and I am disgusted with the level of broadband access in Ireland. Our Country is falling away behind the other European Countries. I, myself had to go to the bother of saving €235 Euros to pay for a Satellite Service from Luxembourg.

A lot of money is being foolishly spent on things that a pure waste. Other countries offer high speed DSL for as little as 30 a month. I am paying about €30 a month for a dial up service to IOL No Limits. DSL is about 30 times faster than a normal dial up connection. My mother is giving out mad about how the phone line is taken up with the internet, I can’t help this but if I had DSL this would sort out this problem and I would have a much faster connection to the internet and life will be a lot more happier. I am even lucky to be still on my Dial Up Connection, IOL No Limits. Ireland Online couldn’t afford to pay for the leased line from Eircom, the 1332103001235 special number. When you connect with this number you get unmetered access, meaning that you are not charged by the month. This applies from 6pm – 8am and weekends only.

Eircom are totally ripping there costumers with the prices for DSL.

Prices from site:

“eircom i-stream solo

For a single user, on a single computer

The product has both a USB port or ethernet option
    Speeds are up to 512kbps downstream/128kbps upstream
    Connection fee is 165 excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 89 excl. VAT
    Additional equipment required: ADSL USB modem 145 excl. VAT or ADSL ethernet modem 200 excl. VAT
    For solo the monthly allowance is 3GB.** “

Now these prices are beyond. Who can afford this, the rich maybe but not the average user. A lot of people from other countries are using DSL and are happy with prices. €89 Euro is just too much to charge compared to other countries that charge only 20 – 30 Euro. E

The internet is a very important part of the future. The internet valuable too people and must not cost too much.

You might be interested going to http://www.irelandoffline.org . This site will support my point of view and will give you all the info you need.

Please, I even beg you to think about this. I can assure you if you plan to invest in telecommunications in Ireland there will be a big response, and I mean a big response. If people knew that Broadband in Ireland would become a lot more cheaper, people will certainly be influenced to vote.

Thank you so much for reading this email and would be grateful if you could do something about broadband in Ireland. It would make such a difference in the country.

Kind Regards,

Donal
    "

REPLY:

"Dear Mr. O'Connor,

The Taoiseach, Mr. Bertie Ahern, has asked me to acknowledge receipt of
    your recent e-mail which has been referred to the office of the Minister
    for Public Enterprise, Mrs.Mary O'Rourke, for attention and direct reply to you.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Reddy
    Assistant Private Secretary
    to the Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Nice one donal... But i doubt there will be a reply before election day! sux... i know...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I hate them to the point of shouting at the television when I see their adds, talking pure bollix in them about how great joys of ISDN are and how this invaluable business toll can be working for you for only 59C A DAY!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Why!?

There condesending and patronising as a company...

they kick you in the balls and then say its to help you appriciate the service and give you value for money.

do you remember the BS! they used to justify charging for local unmetered calls!?

it was all BS

Of course they eased your pain by giving you 15min peak and 30min off peak. then no sooner did they give you this they took it off you and now you pay a min charge regardles of how short the call is or how many times your connection drops each time you try to log on to your ISP.

the also tell you like..
    Oh its only 1c per min when you use eircom, then they say Oh! BTW there a min 200 euro charge and the blood of your 1st born!

in general they Falsely advertise and use misinformation to confuse the mostly uneducated society in these matters AND get away with it! :mad:

Oh! lets not forget there also a MONOPOLY and not unlike microsoft with there bully tac tics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I hate them to the point of shouting at the television when I see their adds

I don't shout, I mutter. :)

My dislike of Eircom (as an org, not necessarily the people) has got the the stage that if they're mentioned in conversation in the pub, everybody groans. But my most enjoyable experience yet was when I went to Spain to be best man for a buddy last year. We were all sitting by the pool and this Irish guy came over for a chat, all nice and friendly like. When I asked him what he did, he replied that he worked for Eircom, and there was a dead silence around the table -- except for the slight sqeaking of my friends chairs moving back a couple of inches. I knew then that I'd reached a Higher Level. :)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

this is not about eircom people its about eircom policy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Overlord

I hate eircom because they will spend millions on advertising, trying to sell a crap service instead of spending millions on a good service that is worth buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

i hate the fkin bastards because they have this country sown up so well.... they're a national embarrasment. The fact our government sold T.E and created this bastard child is a national embarrasment and it's here to haunt us until we can regulate the fu<k out of them and force them to give us normal services.

The fact is - if any of us decide to move into northern ireland - just a couple of miles up the road ! we get a flat rate service. What the fu<k is so special about northern ireland that they get stuff we don't ... we're all on the same fkin island yet one bit gets flat rate and the other doesn't. I think it says something about the patch we live on. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

:confused: I found this at EURESCOM, the European Institute for Research and Strategic Studies in Telecommunications. I couldn't find anything on them at boards.ie, so I don't think it's been posted. Although way old - year 2000, it just makes it more interesting - it is by a Mr O'Connor of R+D labs (Research & Development?) at eircom.

http://www.eurescom.de/~pub/seminars/past/2000/BOBAN/06OConnor/sld001.htm

Entitled "ADSL for mass market deployment has arrived!" this seminar presentation from the eircom representative tells us this (remember, it's from 2000):

"What are the key requirements for Mass Market Deployment?
    - Technology proven and stable
    - Self install (utilising microfilters)
    - Cheap customer premise equipment

Technology - current state of the art
    - Full-Rate ADSL widely available
    - mini-DSLAMS available for Broadband street cabinet
    - Becoming more widely available: ISDN support with ADSL

Conclusions
    - DSLAM should support all ADSL Standards
    - Loop distance limitation no longer a problem - remote DSLAMS available
    - ADSL is cheap to deploy
    - ADSL for Mass Market deployment is available TODAY! (sic)"

I had to tell someone about this... It is what eircom themselves came up with near two years ago...

[ rant ]
    I can't say I hate eircom - I find it hard to hate a company. But I've had my fair share of trouble with them. Fighting with them for 3 months (2 m + 29 days) to get ISDN to work (interesting enough I often got ~12kbit/s connections on eircom ISDN with PPP - up to then I didn't think that was possible). Fighting with them to downgrade back to PSTN (didn't have to pay for it though, lucky me...:rolleyes:), fighting with them when moving house. But I must say that recently they've been very helpful. No more 15 mins on hold everytime I call. No more "you must call this number to"... No more "Are you interested in...". I would've loved to have a peak at my eircom file...;)
    [ end.of.rant ]

Regards,
    Thomas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    which has been referred to the office of the Minister
    for Public Enterprise, Mrs.Mary O'Rourke, for attention and direct reply to you.

well WOPTIE F*CKING DOO .... mary o rourke ... BAH

Guess who I'm not voting for in this election ???

I don't shout, I mutter.

lol, I can imagine you sitting down and having a cup of tea, only to see an eircon add ... 'bunch of f*cking twats' :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

yeh, just noticed,
    Nice 1 Dev, I worked on that sig for ages

Advertisement