Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Probs

• 22-06-2001 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I took 4 128 mb RAM chips out of a dell poweredge 1300 the other day and swapped them for 4 265 mb chips. All PC100. This was grand, it all worked fine.

We decided then to stick one of the 128 sticks into various desktop machines. All dell optiplex gx110. When i put the ram in, the machines just started beeping.

I tried all of the different sticks, removing all the old ram as well but no success. Anyone got any ideas ? I cant find full tech specs for either machine on the website. Tis a bit annoying. Obviously it's not going to work, but I'd like to know why.

Cheers,
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I remember hearing something about ECC sdram dimms not working in some workstation. I could be talking arsé however.

Lunacy Abounds! GLminesweeper RO><ORS!
    art is everything and of course nothing and possibly also a sausage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

No, I think AMP is right.

I seem to remember that if the machine can take error correcting ram, grand, it will work with both kinds but a motherboard that doesn't support error correcting ram will not recognise them.

And error correcting ram is used in servers more ofter than other platforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amp:
    I remember hearing something about ECC sdram dimms not working in some workstation. I could be talking arsé however.

</font>

nope, its completely true.
    also tru about your **** as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Theres a difference between the RAM used in servers and desktop/workstations. You might have noticed that it was rather awkard to fit the dimms into the GX110's, the dims are actually keyed differently to display there incompatibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ah right, I figured it was just my clumsy fingers ! Thanks for that.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

That maybe true but this isnt the case here. The dimms on Dell servers are keyed differently to normal dimms, only a few mm's in the difference but they won't work in desktop/workstation systems regardless of there ability to support ECC or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Afraid that Sickboy is right, Verb...

There is also some cells in the module different from normal Desktop Dimms, which causes more wierd crashes...this done to stop people mixing RAM from servers/W|Stations, etc....

Advertisement