Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Gig Ever...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Taking Back Sunday several years ago, my brother wanted to see them, and there were about 15 people in the Ambassador for the gig...they weren't particularly band but the reception was appalling and Fightstar was the support

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I was going to close this thread given its age but feck it, I think I'll leave it open. My worst gig was Nightwish's performance at Download 2005. It wasn't the band's fault but due to a screw up at Vienna airport they were delayed and only able to play 2 songs :(. Given that they were the main reason I was at the festival I wasn't best pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

eric clapton in the point about 3 - 4 years ago,

what a boring c.unt - no idea why the hell i went to that

placebo are amazingly boring live as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Anthrax in the point?(rds) a few years ago.The one where they left the stage after 40 minutes cos people were moshing/crowd surfing and they got all moral about it.Quite sh!t actually.

You talking about the gig back in the 80's where they walked off because they were sick of being spat on by members of the crowd, or the gig in the Ambassador in 2005 where they asked the audience to calm down and then walked off after Charlie Benante was hit with a bottle?

Was at both gigs and have to say that the band were right each time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Kess73 wrote: »
    You talking about the gig back in the 80's where they walked off because they were sick of being spat on by members of the crowd, or the gig in the Ambassador in 2005 where they asked the audience to calm down and then walked off after Charlie Benante was hit with a bottle?

The Ambassador one.The band were right to walk off but it was still a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

mine would be faith no more in dunlaoighre ( i think) many years ago.
    They had appeared live on top of the pops that evening and so were mad late.
    Got on stage with rubbish sound, not an iota of apology, played for mebbe 40 minutes.
    The whole gig ****head on guitar was fiddling with his amp and at the end when the house lights came up, gig over he is still on stage back to the audience messing with his guitar and amp!

I was at that aswell.But was the reason they were late not because someones wife in the band had had a baby that day or something??

And if I remember correctly they played until after the last buses/darts were well gone.It was definately a lot longer than 40 minutes though--1.5 to 2 hours or so.I remember walking home to Rialto and getting home at 5.00am or so.
    I could be wrong--Im getting old and the memory isnt as good as it used to be :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭patff

Bob Dylan in the Point about 1990.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Tool at the O2. Boring. Lifeless. No audience interaction. Just bleh. They were as bad at ozzfest.
    This thread is from 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

DaDumTish wrote: »
    eric clapton in the point about 3 - 4 years ago,

I've seen Clapton at least two dozen times over the years and the show he did at Malahide Castle last year was **** as well. Bad weather, sound trouble, and the only thing that he said to the audience had something to do with some blue sky that he could see in the distance.

Robert Randolph opened up for him and they had the same issues with sound. They were flat, no energy at all. Really a waste of time, money and effort to go to that show.

I have see the two of them tour together in the States as well as play Clapton's Crossroads Festival and they were incredible.

When Clapton is bad....he is flat our boring. When he is on....he is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Tool at the O2. Boring. Lifeless. No audience interaction. Just bleh. They were as bad at ozzfest.
    This thread is from 2002.

Maybe all gigs recently have been brilliant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Same here Kess, was at both gigs and agree 100%.......

to be honest what I think they should have done in the Top Hat was to tell the crowd to sort out the people that were spitting and it would have been sorted pretty quickly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

NIBBS wrote: »
    Same here Kess, was at both gigs and agree 100%.......

to be honest what I think they should have done in the Top Hat was to tell the crowd to sort out the people that were spitting and it would have been sorted pretty quickly.....

Similar thing happened to Iron Maiden at the Point during the No Prayer For The Dying tour. A section of the crowd kept spitting almost non stop at the band, as was the way with many Irish metal crowds between '86 and '90 for some strange reason.

I still have the recording I made of that gig at home on cassette, with Bruce first asking for any spitter to come on the stage to spit into his face when he could see them, and when none tried it, then threatening that the band would walk and never return to Ireland if it continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Similar thing happened to Iron Maiden at the Point during the No Prayer For The Dying tour. A section of the crowd kept spitting almost non stop at the band, as was the way with many Irish metal crowds between '86 and '90 for some strange reason.

I still have the recording I made of that gig at home on cassette, with Bruce first asking for any spitter to come on the stage to spit into his face when he could see them, and when none tried it, then threatening that the band would walk and never return to Ireland if it continued.

I was up the front at the Anthrax gig in the SFX in '87 and during Testaments set there was a lot of it going on and Chuck Billy just spat back in the face of some giuy that spat at him - to be honest I didn't see anymore around where I was after that :-)

never understod it meself, why pay money into see a band and then spit on them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    cant really think Of a worst gig as I have rarely being disappointed but one that does come to mind Was the Lowend Festival in Waterford, what really p1ssed me off was that Naplam Deaths Set Was cut short, there is just no excuse for that!:mad:

I think that was because Onslaught played over their time limit for a long while and wouldn't get off the stage. Primordial had to drop a few songs off their set too as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I was at that aswell.But was the reason they were late not because someones wife in the band had had a baby that day or something??

And if I remember correctly they played until after the last buses/darts were well gone.It was definately a lot longer than 40 minutes though--1.5 to 2 hours or so.I remember walking home to Rialto and getting home at 5.00am or so.
    I could be wrong--Im getting old and the memory isnt as good as it used to be :D:D

Ah sure i'm lucky if i remember where i am on a minute to minute basis...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

lord lucan wrote: »
    Don't be dissin' Big Jim Martin,he's a legend!

i suppose even legends have their off days!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Paddy Casey at NUI Maynooth, in 2008 I think it was. I was dragged there, he was terrible, kept getting feedback on the mic, dropped his plec twice, was a smart arse towards the audience. Assume he's flipping burgers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Onslaught/CrumbSuckers/Lawnmower Deth at the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin. 1990? Earlier?

I counted 37 people, for most of the evening it went close to 50, but still..

Venue was licensed for, I think, 1500-1800.

Mystery singer: Are you ready to die tonight?

Crowd: Non-commital mumble, some (non commital) fist pumping.

A genius still insisted on stage diving..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dragonforce at the Ambassador in October 2008. Lead singer was pure unadulterated asshole from beginning to end and the gig was boring as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

did i read that right, pantera opening for megadeth... ****in hell what i'd give to be headin to that gig back in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭fruitbats

Kieran81 wrote: »
    did i read that right, pantera opening for megadeth... ****in hell what i'd give to be headin to that gig back in the day

I was at it, it was my first Gig ever, it was Sept 92. Holy F**k, it was 35 minuates of pure brillance, Pantera were young and hungrey, it changed my life and musical direction forever.
    On another note Megadeth were ****e on the night and Download on the 12th will be the first time I've seen Megadeth since. Hopefully age will of improved them 18 years later.

F**k I'm Old!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Saw Pantera when they headlined in the SFX either in 93 or 94 with COC as support. F**k me, what a great gig.

My brother came along with me. I am a wheelchair user, so the venue isn't the best.

Anyhoo, we were placed beside the stage in front of the security barrier. During the gig, my brother lifted me out of my chair, and sat me on the stage, only feet from dear old Dimebag..........and the security didn't bat an eyelid!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Most rock/Metal bands I've seen have always been good. Occasionally a support band would be terrible though - I remember an awful band called King Of The Hill who supported Extreme in the Point in 1991.

Actually that was an odd one, there couldn't have been any more than 1,000 people there - obviously the promoters had booked the venue on the strength of 'More Than Words' having been a massive hit that year. Cue lots of teenage girls screaming at them...

Saxon in McGonagles - also in 1991. 52 people! In fairness to the band, they played a decent enough set, cut short though because they had over-estimated the size of the venue & couldn't get all of their PA to fit in & needed an extra generator to make it work...

Non-metal gigs, that's another story. The Verve at Slane Castle in 1998 - dire gig, lazy band who disappeared up their own ar$e. And I'd seen them a year earlier in the SFX & they were excellent. Horrible venue too, I'd never go back.

Oasis at Lansdowne Rd. in 2000. Again, a band I'd seen on other occasions who had been great, this gig was just awful. It also had an air of tension, a nasty crowd who seemed ready to start a fight.

Gun - remember them? Scottish band, had a hit with a cover of Cameo's 'Word up'. Anyway they played the Tivoli in 1994, less than 100 people there, only played for 45 minutes & then left, no encore. Someone grabbed a setlist & it turned out they'd only played half the songs on it. They were 'well oiled' as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Only gig that jumps out at me for me really ****e was Tool at Ozzfest in 2002. Having spent the afternoon rocking hard to SOAD and Slayer it was a massive shock to the system when that shower took to the stage! The whole vibe of the day was killed imo. I was lucky to grab a couple of over-priced scoops from the Heineken stand before they closed and ended up drinking them in the car park where Dublin Bus had all their buses parked up waiting to go home.

Judging by the crowds hanging around the car park i wasn't the only one with the same feeling.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Tool were abysmally useless at Ozzfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Tool were abysmally useless at Ozzfest.

I thought it was some weird ambient trance ****e at first,all these weird colours and strobes and stuff. Bit of a change after Slayer!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Dragonforce at the Ambassador in October 2008. Lead singer was pure unadulterated asshole from beginning to end and the gig was boring as hell.
    Have to respectfully disagree. I was at that gig and have to say (apart from some dubious sound quality) I thought it was at least OK. Werent Turisas supporting them then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Oasis in Slane last year was the worst gig I have ever been to, I'm not even sure why I wanted to go, the Prodigy on the other hand when decent. Sonic Youth in Vicar Street last year too was just ****ing boring.

Out of all the Metal/Rock gigs I've been to there is rarely a back one... I can't actually think of any...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    Having spent the afternoon rocking hard to SOAD and Slayer it was a massive shock to the system when that shower took to the stage!

Yeah but I remember well that the rain began during Slayer's 'Raining Blood' and you can't get better then that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Yeah but I remember well that the rain began during Slayer's 'Raining Blood' and you can't get better then that
    Slayer and SOAD were great, but in fairness to Tool, i had never given them much time back then, so obviously playing for 10min before maynard even sang was a bad experience......at the time.....Since then I became a fan and wish I could go back and see that gig again!!

Advertisement